Week 13: 25 Best Live Records of All Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 13: 25 Best Live Records of All Time

Swish
11-11-2008, 05:17 AM
We're not past the half-way mark and this week's pick is possibly the last obscure or controversial choice. I was never a fan, and I've never heard this live recording, so I'll turn it over to you guys for comments.

13) 390 Degrees Of Simulated Stereo--Pere Ubu: In the studio these guys often seemed dazed by the technological options and the chance to think too much and in their original incarnation the longer they stayed together the weirder they got. Which was fine and dandy, except that while they were a very good art-rock band, they were also a very good live art-punk-band and somehow the extra hyphenated genre makes for happier living in general. Embrace them

Swishbaby

bobsticks
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I gotta admit, I've never heard these guys. I know I'm "supposed" to like them given their lineage but...nope...drawin' a blank.

Swish
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I gotta admit, I've never heard these guys. I know I'm "supposed" to like them given their lineage but...nope...drawin' a blank.

I'll be really sorry to see the end of this series. :rolleyes5:

3-LockBox
11-15-2008, 02:32 PM
You da man, Swishy!

MindGoneHaywire
11-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I've never heard this overrated piece of crap record, so I have no idea whether it belongs on this guy's list or not.

Anyone else know it? Be subtle in your judgments, if you would...a mild request.

Thank you.

Actually I have heard a live Pere Ubu album, may very well have been this, I have no idea. I do like what they did, though it's not exactly my cup of tea. Nevertheless, this guy postures like a champ (I wonder exactly how he managed to get so accurately imbedded inside the heads of the guys in Pere Ubu to one day offer us all such insight?). I don't care how many pity clicks these threads don't get. Please keep posting them, Swish. Your efforts are much appreciated & help contribute towards what passes for entertainment in my life these days.

(Just picked up Space Ritual; I've never heard a Hawkwind record before. Big thumbs up on the debut Can; I'll see if I get a chance to offer an opinion if there's a Tuesday thread on Tuesday)

Swish
11-17-2008, 05:19 AM
I don't care how many pity clicks these threads don't get. Please keep posting them, Swish. Your efforts are much appreciated & help contribute towards what passes for entertainment in my life these days.

There is something like 80 views of the thread but I only saw one comment from bobsticks at the time. I mean, doesn't anyone have anything to say about it, good, bad, or indifferent? I suppose it's mostly because Pere Ubu, while not exactly obscure on RR, hasn't come up much on anyone's 'must have' lists.

Just for fun, I did a search and found 19 threads that mention this band, mostly by some guy in CA with the initials dbi, a couple time by you and a couple times by Jar. So, yeah, they're not exactly relegated to the bottom of the pile.

Swish

Ex Lion Tamer
11-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I've never heard this overrated piece of crap record, so I have no idea whether it belongs on this guy's list or not.

Anyone else know it? Be subtle in your judgments, if you would...a mild request.

Thank you.

Actually I have heard a live Pere Ubu album, may very well have been this, I have no idea. I do like what they did, though it's not exactly my cup of tea. Nevertheless, this guy postures like a champ (I wonder exactly how he managed to get so accurately imbedded inside the heads of the guys in Pere Ubu to one day offer us all such insight?). I don't care how many pity clicks these threads don't get. Please keep posting them, Swish. Your efforts are much appreciated & help contribute towards what passes for entertainment in my life these days.

(Just picked up Space Ritual; I've never heard a Hawkwind record before. Big thumbs up on the debut Can; I'll see if I get a chance to offer an opinion if there's a Tuesday thread on Tuesday)

I used to own and occasionally enjoyed Modern Dance. I own and occasionally enjoy Terminal Tower. I have never heard any live Pere Ubu, but if I had, and if I owned it, I'm quite confident that I would occassionally enjoy it.

Swish
11-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I used to own and occasionally enjoyed Modern Dance. I own and occasionally enjoy Terminal Tower. I have never heard any live Pere Ubu, but if I had, and if I owned it, I'm quite confident that I would occassionally enjoy it.

I occasionally read them. :smilewinkgrin:

Davey
11-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Just for fun, I did a search and found 19 threads that mention this band, mostly by some guy in CA with the initials dbi...
Guess I should toss a couple lumps of pity into the bucket after that. There ya go.

Hey, never heard that record but always liked Pere Ubu, Kind of charming, and bent in a rather oblique way that often seems to line up with me. Fun too. Most probably point to the early singles and b-sides collection as the one to have, and I do like a lot of it, though not nearly all of it as it does get kinda weird on ya, but my favorite is from the beginning of the 90s, the one with the title and the totally lovable cover art built around that myth-based pseudo-science book by Immanuel Velikovsky of the same name, Worlds in Collision. Very much a pop record with a lot of the weird eccentricities shaved away, though still quirky pop. Think a couple songs wound up on comps (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#On_Some_Faraway_Beach) over the years, one even featuring my namesake. Long out of print, but apparently just reissued last year. And as with many of my favorites that haven't yet met with widespread public acclaim, available from the amazon market for only $1.44 :)

Here's a ditty about a guy named Davey / He had a life like to drive him crazy / Don't you see that it's a bitter pill / to never know what lies over the hill?

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9e/21/0a7eb2c008a0116277d71010.L.jpg