Brilliant Move... Marvel Productions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Move... Marvel Productions...

Worf101
11-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Marvel comics was/is on a roll as far as films are concerned. Not everything they've touched or allowed to be broght to the screen has turned to gold but Spiderman, X-Men, Blade were/are venerable franchises. "Fantastic Four", "Daredevil", "Electra" and "Ghostrider" are better off dead. Now Marvel has done a brilliant move by producing their own films. Taking control of their own properties on the screen has lead to two great hits, in my humble opinon.

"Iron Man" which I just watched again is brilliant. And "The Incredible Hulk" is a brilliant save of a franchise that was left for dead. Both movies and the potential tie-in with an Avengers franchise is smart as hell. I wish them much luck. I enjoyed both far more than the Dark Knight and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Da Worfster

thekid
11-09-2008, 05:03 AM
My son is a big Marvel fan and keeps me informed of where the different movies are in production. Overall I would agree that having Marvel in total control of their product can only be a good thing. They could become the Disney of comic/action adventure flicks.

I was marginally a comic book reader as a kid because of my older brother but I was a fan of Thor and am waiting to see the proposed movie for that coming out in the next couple of years.

Captain America has the potential IMO based on all the different story lines through the years of being as big a franchise as Spiderman if you cast it right. Of course as we saw with the use of Ben Affleck in Daredevil you can kill anything real quick with the wrong actor....

AVMASTER
11-09-2008, 10:02 AM
just for kicks;
your the big budget producer of a new Marvel based movie, which one and who would be the lead?

Worf101
11-10-2008, 06:25 AM
just for kicks;
your the big budget producer of a new Marvel based movie, which one and who would be the lead?
Interesting question... TOO interesting... it's making my head hurt. This is what I'd do...

CROSSOVER!!!!!! There's two movies I'd do in a heartbeat.

Batman vs. Spiderman:
Time/dimension rift. caused by Doctor Octavius' last experiment still exists on the bottom of the bay. Reed Richards says someone has to get down there and close it. During the Fantastic Fours attempt, disaster happens and Spidey steps in at the last minute to close the rift, but in the process he's shoved into an alternate dimension. He's swinging through Gotham trying to make sense of where/when the hell he is when Spidey stumbles onto Batman at the brink of death at the hands of Killer Croc. Webhead intervenes and saves Bat's life. Gordon and Alfred arrive and beilieving Spidey was responsible for Bat's wounds, proceed to pursue him through the streets of Gotham. Eventually Bats revives and calls off the dogs. The two outlaw heroes then team up to stop some baddies and get Spidey back to his universe.

Spiderman vs. Daredevil vs. The Punisher:
Similar story as above cept Spidey believes, as did Electra, that Daredevil is a criminal, murderer so does the Punisher. The whole thing is a frame up perpetrated by the Kingpin who figures if the law and Bullseye couldn't kill Matt Murdock, then why not masked vigilantes.

Da Worfster

Feanor
11-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Marvel comics was/is on a roll as far as films are concerned. Not everything they've touched or allowed to be broght to the screen has turned to gold but Spiderman, X-Men, Blade were/are venerable franchises. "Fantastic Four", "Daredevil", "Electra" and "Ghostrider" are better off dead. Now Marvel has done a brilliant move by producing their own films. Taking control of their own properties on the screen has lead to two great hits, in my humble opinon.

"Iron Man" which I just watched again is brilliant. And "The Incredible Hulk" is a brilliant save of a franchise that was left for dead. Both movies and the potential tie-in with an Avengers franchise is smart as hell. I wish them much luck. I enjoyed both far more than the Dark Knight and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Da Worfster

As youngster those many, many years ago, my favorite comic character was Captain Marvel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)). Captain Marvel is a DC Comics (http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/) character, not Marvel Comics, so we're talking "DC Universe", Superman, Batman, etc.

Unfortunately, (from the perspective of yours truly's nostalgia), no one I'm aware of has show any interest in Marvel Family (http://www.marvelfamily.com/whoswho/default.aspx) movie.

Woochifer
11-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Indeed, it wasn't too long ago that Marvel characters were routinely consigned to low budget production houses like Roger Corman, Cannon Films, and 21st Century. I think a big part of it is the visual effects finally catching up with the Marvel characters' superpowers. No way that a movie featuring Venom (gawd, what a waste inserting him into Spidey 3) could have been feasibly made in the mid-90s, when other Marvel projects like Captain America and Fantastic Four had to make do with makeshift effects and shoestring budgets.

We're in a golden age for comic book adaptations right now. High profile directors and writers are clamoring for those projects. Not to be outdone, Warner has already announced that they will accelerate development on projects featuring the DC characters. Rumor is that movies featuring Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Flash are in development, as well as a possible Justice League prequel that will feature all of the major DC characters together and subsequently spawn sequels for each individual superhero.

Ajani
11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
My son is a big Marvel fan and keeps me informed of where the different movies are in production. Overall I would agree that having Marvel in total control of their product can only be a good thing. They could become the Disney of comic/action adventure flicks.

I was marginally a comic book reader as a kid because of my older brother but I was a fan of Thor and am waiting to see the proposed movie for that coming out in the next couple of years.

Captain America has the potential IMO based on all the different story lines through the years of being as big a franchise as Spiderman if you cast it right. Of course as we saw with the use of Ben Affleck in Daredevil you can kill anything real quick with the wrong actor....

Actually I think Ben Afleck gets way too much blame for Daredevil... I actually think it was a decent movie that could have been really good... the real problem for me was 1) the plot was too thin which was seriously compounded by 2) the theatrical release cut the the already thin plot in half (The uncut Director's Edition was a pretty decent film)...

I think the tone of the movie was good and the use of Daredevil's sonar was excellent...

And yes I realize that I just admitted to liking DareDevil....

thekid
11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Actually I think Ben Afleck gets way too much blame for Daredevil... I actually think it was a decent movie that could have been really good... the real problem for me was 1) the plot was too thin which was seriously compounded by 2) the theatrical release cut the the already thin plot in half (The uncut Director's Edition was a pretty decent film)...

I think the tone of the movie was good and the use of Daredevil's sonar was excellent...

And yes I realize that I just admitted to liking DareDevil....

My criticism of Affleck goes to my recollection of Matt Murdoch in the comic. Daredevil as I recalled did not really possess any super power as much as he built himself up physically to be Daredevil. Matt Murdoch also struck me in the comic as being somewhat reserved but a generally cool normal guy. Affleck IMO played Murdoch more like Clark Kent in that he acted kind of oafish in order to hide his abilities and super powers. Also from just a pure physical prescence I just could buy him performing all of these physical stunts. It was evident the producers were not buying Affleck in the role in that they heavily padded the costume to make you believe those muscles belonged to Affleck.

Wits
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I noticed that one of the Hulk movies is only 60 minutes long!?! That doesn't even seem worthy of the title 'movie' imo.:mad5:

bobsticks
11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
just for kicks;

I think they need to redo the Phoenix saga, I'm sayin' a relatively faithful reproduction of X-Men #s 132-137. By my estimation those are the issues that really cemented the fanbase for the new team and, hence, brought on the subsequent 37 titles and novelettes and other assorted crap. I think that was the turning point that took comics to "the next level".

Plus, they already have all the pieces in place. Marsden plays a great, unlikeable, stick-in-ass Cyclops, Famke Janssens is...well...Famke Janssens in all her hotness and Jackman is serviceable.

For that matter, and adaptation of the Frank Miller "Wolverine" could be solid as well. Maybe Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as whats-his-name the evil father. In his day, Mako would have perfect.

Not a crossover, but from DC I'd pay to see a "Green Arrow" movie if it was based on the Mike Grell mini-series. I think putting away the super-hypo-exploding-square-thingymabob arrows in favor of just killin' folks would make a decent contemporary sturm und drang pic. Maybe Paul Walker or Josh Hartnett...outside shots to Hugh Dancey or Brian Van Holt.