I'm about ready to vomit. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm about ready to vomit.

Swish
11-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I can't believe it, but it appears my beloved Penn State is about to lose to muther effin Iowa. No way they should lose this game, but if appears it's going to happen unless they get a miracle at the end. A missed field goal or something. I need help here. Dammit.

Swish

tentoze
11-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Sorry, man.... (NOT). Go Gators!

MindGoneHaywire
11-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Let the dog clean it up.

Swish
11-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Sorry, man.... (NOT). Go Gators!

Seriously. We had the game in hand but for an errant pass over the head of the receiver that ends up as an interception in the red zone, starting the Iowa drive for the winning FG. On that drive there was a very questionable pass interference call that I have to watch again. It appears the PSU defender jumped to play the ball and any contact with the receiver was inadvertent. The pass also looked to be uncatchable, but it was a big play that put Iowa in PSU territory and sustained their drive.

We should have scored a TD on our first possession after getting a 1st and 10 at the Iowa 2 due to a blatant pass interference call. Two running plays lost yardage, and we ended up taking a FG. There's just no excuse for that.

Your Gators are looking good, but they've basically been forgiven for their loss to Ole Miss, a perennial 'also ran' team that has already lost to powerhouses such as Wake Forest, Venterbilt South Carolina and Arkansas. They did hang tough against Alabama though, so maybe they up the ante for the big games?

You might pick on Penn State for losing to Iowa, a team with 4 losses, but those losses were by an aggregate 12 points, and came against some pretty respectable teams; Pitt, Nothwestern, Illinois, and Michigan State. Their QB is a rookie so I chalk up a couple of those close losses to inexperience.

I doubt we'll see much better than that Rose Bowl if we can get past Michigan State in that last game. We'll stay in the top 10, but there will be too many hurdles to clear with late season loss like this, even by just 1 point and on the road.

Swish - shoulda, woulda, coulda.

MindGoneHaywire
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
If there's a reason to pick on Penn State, and I see little reason to, it's not because they lost to anyone in particular, but because they couldn't overcome the result of one pass interference penalty, not that I think it was as questionable as you're claiming. It was a pretty legit call from what I can see, even if the ball was a little out of anyone's reach. There's a difference between that & the ball sailing yards above where anyone could reach it with a trampoline. I've sure seen far worse; it was close enough to call. But national champions don't lose games like that. I think refs sometimes influence games not to weed out or throw favors to any teams in particular, more like, these guys are the best team we'll see all year, they should beat the crap out of this team, let's make the one we're reffing special because overcoming an iffy penalty is the stuff champs are made of. That might not apply to this particular foul, I can't remember how late in the game it was, but there's no getting around that interception.

We'd always like to think that refs should never influence games as I've suggested, but they're human beings with egos like anyone else, and I can't help but think the NCAA and/or BCS wouldn't have a problem with the idea of seeing the very best teams emerge with a record that includes overcoming some adversity, some of it perhaps in the form of questionable calls. Weird thing--poor officiating seems to come & go in cycles. 15 years ago, the refereeing in the NFL was horrible, absolutely awful, and instant reply seemed to improve it. Major League Baseball? I've seen some bad calls through the years (including a few that benefited the Yankees during their run 10 years ago, although I think they were good enough to win anyway), but this past year had to set a benchmark for ridiculously awful umpiring calls. The issues with the NBA in the recent past are pretty well-documented; and the NHL didn't add a second referee because they needed to increase their payroll for tax purposes, either. So long as refs don't affect the outcome of games directly on truly questionable calls--and I don't believe this was that bad--then in theory I actually don't have as much of a problem with the idea of throwing a minor hurdle in the way of a team thought superior, as a small test to build character & truly qualify them for the adversity they'll likely face in any championship run.

An anomaly of sorts here is the issue as it related to Michael Jordan. He got questionable calls, and nobody could beat his team. Nobody. And I don't think they would've been able to even with the benefit of calls they didn't get.

Swish
11-09-2008, 10:35 AM
If there's a reason to pick on Penn State, and I see little reason to, it's not because they lost to anyone in particular, but because they couldn't overcome the result of one pass interference penalty, not that I think it was as questionable as you're claiming. It was a pretty legit call from what I can see, even if the ball was a little out of anyone's reach. There's a difference between that & the ball sailing yards above where anyone could reach it with a trampoline. I've sure seen far worse; it was close enough to call. But national champions don't lose games like that. I think refs sometimes influence games not to weed out or throw favors to any teams in particular, more like, these guys are the best team we'll see all year, they should beat the crap out of this team, let's make the one we're reffing special because overcoming an iffy penalty is the stuff champs are made of. That might not apply to this particular foul, I can't remember how late in the game it was, but there's no getting around that interception.

We'd always like to think that refs should never influence games as I've suggested, but they're human beings with egos like anyone else, and I can't help but think the NCAA and/or BCS wouldn't have a problem with the idea of seeing the very best teams emerge with a record that includes overcoming some adversity, some of it perhaps in the form of questionable calls. Weird thing--poor officiating seems to come & go in cycles. 15 years ago, the refereeing in the NFL was horrible, absolutely awful, and instant reply seemed to improve it. Major League Baseball? I've seen some bad calls through the years (including a few that benefited the Yankees during their run 10 years ago, although I think they were good enough to win anyway), but this past year had to set a benchmark for ridiculously awful umpiring calls. The issues with the NBA in the recent past are pretty well-documented; and the NHL didn't add a second referee because they needed to increase their payroll for tax purposes, either. So long as refs don't affect the outcome of games directly on truly questionable calls--and I don't believe this was that bad--then in theory I actually don't have as much of a problem with the idea of throwing a minor hurdle in the way of a team thought superior, as a small test to build character & truly qualify them for the adversity they'll likely face in any championship run.

An anomaly of sorts here is the issue as it related to Michael Jordan. He got questionable calls, and nobody could beat his team. Nobody. And I don't think they would've been able to even with the benefit of calls they didn't get.

...the determining factor, and I did say the pass interception was the killer. The receiver was wide open in the middle and would easily have gotten the first down at about the 10 yard line, and perhaps even scored the TD. Clark overthrew him, as bad a pass as you can throw, and that was that. The 2 point lead should have been at least 5 and probably 10. I also mentioned the 1st and goal from the 2 in the first quarter where they had to settle for a FG. That kind of sloppiness on the road in the Big 10 usually comes back to haunt you, and it did.

The interference call came at a crucial time on that final drive, and had they not gotten that call, it would be 4th and very long. Again, they may still have converted, but they aren't exactly a quality passing team. I'm not blaming that one call on being the big factor.

Anyway, I'm about as bummed as a person has a right to be over a sport. I was so tired of hearing crap about my team and loved being able to rub it back in their faces, but I just got knocked down a peg or 2. Crap.

Swish

3-LockBox
11-09-2008, 11:30 AM
You might pick on Penn State for losing to Iowa, a team with 4 losses, but those losses were by an aggregate 12 points, and came against some pretty respectable teams; Pitt, Nothwestern, Illinois, and Michigan State. Their QB is a rookie so I chalk up a couple of those close losses to inexperience.

Iowa is a pretty good team, but as has already been pointed out, Penn St beats them if they're championship material. It also matters when you lose as well. Florida's loss to Ole Miss is way more egregious than Penn State's loss yesterday, but Florida's loss came earlier. Same way with USC. Sure, the Oregon State team is 6-3, but no way is USC a champiopnship calibre team with a loss like that on their schedule, but some way, some how, USC will wind up number one or two if they win out, even though this year's PAC-10 is pathetic, maybe the worst conference among the bigs.

Swish
11-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Iowa is a pretty good team, but as has already been pointed out, Penn St beats them if they're championship material. It also matters when you lose as well. Florida's loss to Ole Miss is way more egregious than Penn State's loss yesterday, but Florida's loss came earlier. Same way with USC. Sure, the Oregon State team is 6-3, but no way is USC a champiopnship calibre team with a loss like that on their schedule, but some way, some how, USC will wind up number one or two if they win out, even though this year's PAC-10 is pathetic, maybe the worst conference among the bigs.

...5 or 6 years, and even respected sports commentators/stations continue to spread the myth that they won back to back championships, but they only won one and that was in 2004 when they beat Oklahoma. The 2003 champion was LSU, yet everyone seems to forget that fact.

I just don't see how you place more weight on a late season loss than an early season loss. If you think about it, teams have all that game film to review while they have very little early in the season. USC did hammer Ohio State, but that was early in the season and on home dirt. I don't think the results would be nearly the same if they played now and in Columbus.

Yeah, I like to ***** and moan, but the current BCS system is a joke and gives plenty of fodder to fans. A playoff system with the conference champions is the way to go. Just imagine how freakin' awesome that would be.

Swish - open your eyes!

MindGoneHaywire
11-09-2008, 12:11 PM
>I just don't see how you place more weight on a late season loss than an early season loss.

Short term memories = television ratings factors.

Swish
11-09-2008, 02:32 PM
>I just don't see how you place more weight on a late season loss than an early season loss.

Short term memories = television ratings factors.

...but was offering a reason why late season losses shouldn't matter. They sure don't in conference play. If you have one loss, you're either in first place or second, and when the loss happened doesn't make a difference. Just one more reason we need a damned playoff system. Even Obama commented on it, and he's got more important things to worry about.

Swish

Swish
11-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Is that why you are so upset?
You do know that coach at PU is senile.
During the games in the skybox they have him handcuffed to the desk and gag him to prevent his Alzheimer like incoherent ramblings.
He has underwear older than me and you put together.
Speaking of put together big boy?
Esther

...but you're not quite up to his 'standards'. I know there's a way to figure out your IP address or something. I'm sure one of the regular PC geeks can figure it out and see who it matches.

And how do you know I'm a 'big boy'?

thekid
11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I can't believe it, but it appears my beloved Penn State is about to lose to muther effin Iowa. No way they should lose this game, but if appears it's going to happen unless they get a miracle at the end. A missed field goal or something. I need help here. Dammit.

Swish

It could be worse you could be a Michigan fan like me. If App St was not bad enough last year, we spend the off-season paying big bucks to hire the flavor of the month coach with a gimmick offense. What do we for our money...... no Bowl game for the first time in 34 years!!!!!!!

I hope the alumni who chased Lloyd Carr off are enjoying their crow. Of course all will be forgiven if we beat the Buckeyes.......

Heywood Djahblomie
11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I know you're trying to sound like Yech...but you're not quite up to his 'standards'.

It'll never work

bobsticks
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, this could get interesting.

02audionoob
11-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Back on the topic of football...I'm thinking the best hope for Texas is for Tech to beat OU and then lose to Missouri in the Big 12 championship. Then Texas plays the Florida/Alabama winner in the BCS championship. If OU beats Tech, that could also work for Texas, if OU doesn't leapfrog them after beating Tech.

MindGoneHaywire
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Go Giants!

Davey
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm kinda glad this got moved. Wouldn't want you to vomit in Rave Recs and stink up the place ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/puke.gif

Rich-n-Texas
11-12-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm kinda glad this got moved. Wouldn't want you to vomit in Rave Recs and stink up the place ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/puke.gif
But it's okay for him to spew over here, where I'd say a good 25% of the RR threads should be anyway?

Looks like this thread's been abandoned. College football season over already?

Auricauricle
11-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Has he spewed yet?

Groundbeef
11-13-2008, 03:25 AM
As an Iowa resident for a while, I was very happy to see them win. It is nice to see the giants fall.

bobsticks
11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
http://denverfightingsquirrels.com/images/fighting%20squirrels.jpg