Best Upgrade for Every System! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Upgrade for Every System!

jrhymeammo
11-08-2008, 01:12 PM

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/19409

They are now reasonably priced at $600 a pair.
How is everyone?

JRA

JohnMichael
11-09-2008, 07:17 AM
He is enjoying an outdoor concert in the back rows with full fidelity. Sadly he was not able to hear that lightening strike in time.

StevenSurprenant
11-19-2008, 04:36 AM
How embarrassing is that? Grounds for divorce, I would think!

I would rank that right up there with Get Smarts cones of silence, only that these may work.

I was thinking...
What if you built these ear extenders into your listening chair. You could hear your high end system at low volume without disturbing anyone else.
Or maybe, place parabolic reflectors on each side of your chair with quality transducers at the focal point beaming your favorite tunes right into your head. It would be just like headphones, but without the headache that you get from having your head in a vice, AND I would think it would be more spacious sounding.

Or, or...

Good God! I'm going crazy just thinking about these Sonic Blinders...

I think I'll stop now...

Has anyone seen the Whispering Gallery at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago? It is two parabolic reflectors facing each other at about 20 feet distance. Each person stands inside one of the reflectors with their backs toward each other. When they whisper, they can hear each other clear as day. It's an amazing thing to experience. People outside the reflectors can't hear them at all.

Boatman1
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
The Science center in Toronto Ontario Canada has 2 parabolic reflectors at opposite ends
of a 100 yrd noisy room and you can here each other like you were holding hands.

Rich-n-Texas
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I feel this contraption is an acoustic nightmare. :sosp:

Auricauricle
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
what????

Ajani
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
It would be just like headphones, but without the headache that you get from having your head in a vice, AND I would think it would be more spacious sounding.

Sadly too many headphones operate on the "squeeze your head like a lemon being turned into lemonade principle", but there are some that are extremely comfortable... such as the AKG K701...

GMichael
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Do they come in blue?

emesbee
11-19-2008, 04:20 PM
The Science center in Toronto Ontario Canada has 2 parabolic reflectors at opposite ends
of a 100 yrd noisy room and you can here each other like you were holding hands.

The Barossa Reservoir, in South Australia, has a dam wall which happens to have some interesting acoustic reflective properties. A person standing at one end can talk normally, and someone at the other end can hear what they say as plainly as if they are standing next to them.

atomicAdam
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
The Barossa Reservoir, in South Australia, has a dam wall which happens to have some interesting acoustic reflective properties. A person standing at one end can talk normally, and someone at the other end can hear what they say as plainly as if they are standing next to them.

But isn't that because the Barossa Reservoir wall is only 6ft long? :biggrin5:

emesbee
11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
But isn't that because the Barossa Reservoir wall is only 6ft long? :biggrin5:

Er, no. It may not be the world's largest reservoir, but its not THAT small! :nono: