I Need Some Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Advice

dgrande
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
A guy that my wife works with has a Rotel receiver & some B & W speakers that he is looking to sell. The problem is that I don't really know that much about "high end" audio equipment. In fact, I probably would not make the investment into "high end" unless I was getting a pretty good deal to begin with.

He simply told me what he had & how much he paid & suggested that I make him an offer. Due to my ignorance, I really have no idea what a fair offer would be.

The components he has are as follows:

Rotel RSX-1056 Receiver (paid $1,050)

B&W 705's (paid $650 each)

B&W HTM7 Center Speaker (paid $700)

Now, I want to make an offer that is fair, but I obviously do not want to overpay either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

blackraven
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
How old is the equipment? I was just on www.audiogon.com and saw the rotel listed for $650.

I would offer 60-70% of what he paid. Thats some very nice equipment there.

dgrande
11-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I just saw the same set of speaker (including center) go on e-Bay for $905 & the same receiver go for $418. ($13238 total)

The guy has already stated that he has no desire to go through the trouble of listing them & he does not want to put them in the paper because he doesn't want people going through his house. Considering the lack of effort on the Seller's part, I think that I could aim around $900-$1000 & hope for the best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to de-value the equipment. I just think that it is a bit crumby for the Seller to try to put the responability of establishing a price on an inexperienced Buyer.

Rich-n-Texas
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I just saw the same set of speaker (including center) go on e-Bay for $905 & the same receiver go for $418. ($13238 total)

The guy has already stated that he has no desire to go through the trouble of listing them & he does not want to put them in the paper because he doesn't want people going through his house. Considering the lack of effort on the Seller's part, I think that I could aim around $900-$1000 & hope for the best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to de-value the equipment. I just think that it is a bit crumby for the Seller to try to put the responability of establishing a price on an inexperienced Buyer.
Hi dgrande. Like blackraven said, that is very nice equipment, and especially the well matched speakers. Rotel (owned by B&W) receivers are the recommended source component for driving B&W's, so as long as everything is in good condition, I'd grab it up. Does he have any other buyers lined up? Do you know what they're offering?

dgrande
11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that he has no other offers lined-up. In fact, because he didn't want to take the time to list it, he asked my wife if she would be willing to list it for him because she sells stuff on eBay quite a bit. That is how I got involved.

Rich-n-Texas
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Don't let her!!! It's going to come down to a bargaining session so do like blackraven says and see what happens. See if you can try before you buy too.

winston
11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
hi degrand" a buddy of mine owns that same model receiver its a very strong umph, he used it with a pair of old B&W 808 or 806 he baught off some rich guy over in daytona bch. fl, however to make a (long story short) that model rotel maybe about two to three yrs old.offer him $1600 to 1800 for the four pcs. if its not gone.? the other guys advice above is quite good. let us know how it goes.

winston
11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
:18:
hi degrand" a buddy of mine owns that same model receiver its a very strong umph, he used it with a pair of old B&W 808 or 806 he baught off some rich guy over in daytona bch. fl, however to make a (long story short) that model rotel maybe about two to three yrs old.offer him $1600 to 1800 for the four pcs. if its not gone.? the other guys advice above is quite good. let us know how it goes.
so "degrand" did you get them units or did someone best you.i just wanted to know whenever time you trans this way, solutions solutions .

RoadRunner6
11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Rotel (owned by B&W) receivers are the recommended source component for driving B&W's/QUOTE]

Rich, you don't suppose there is a little inside bias there anywhere? (:D )

RR6