Adrian Belew “Side Four Live” [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Belew “Side Four Live”

Hyfi
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Adrian Belew “Side Four Live”

This disk is very similar to the show I saw last year but for a few tracks. Adrian has been touring with what he calls the Power Trio which is himself of course along with Eric and sister Julie Slick. The slick siblings are some of the first graduates of Paul Green’s School of Rock. The track list is as follows:

Live, released in 2007
Track Listings

1. Writing on the Wall
2. Dinosaur
3. Ampersand
4. Young Lions
5. Beat Box Guitar
6. Matchless Man
7. A Little Madness
8. Drive
9. Of Bow and Drum
10. Big Electric Cat
11. Three of a Perfect Pair
12. Thela Hun Ginjeet

Line-up/Musicians
- Adrian Belew / guitars, vocals
- Julie Slick / bass
- Eric Slick / drums

One track missing here that was played at the show I saw is Elephant Talk where Julie showcases her talent playing the bass lines written for a stick bass on a Fender Precision (possibly Jazz). Plenty of the other tracks also showcase this incredible ability to play Tony Levin bass lines on a Fender. Eric Slick has no trouble laying down the Bruford chops either. The day I saw the Trio play, Eric had just played with 5 other bands during the day at a School of Rock show where he is the “House Drummer” for several of the groups put together by Paul Green.

You need to forget the fact that Adrian isn’t playing with the normal musicians you would expect to be accompanying him when you spin this for the first time. The disk starts off immediately after the band intro with a kickass version of Writing on the Wall moving right into Dinosaur which rocks. A Little Madness and Thela Hun Ginjeet are the other standouts on this disk but the whole thing is listenable all the way through. Play time is close to 70 minutes so it’s well worth a try.

You can get both signed and unsigned copies from Adrian’s website. You can also sample the tracks via torrent from piratebay if you’re so inclined.

If you’re a King Crimson or Adrian Belew fan, I highly recommend this well recorded live disk.

3-LockBox
11-04-2008, 04:41 PM
If they're playing King Crimson tunes, then who's playing the weird soundscape stuff?

Do they put a slightly different spin on the KC stuff, or is it pretty straight forward?

Maybe the bass player is playing through some sort of modeling synthesizer.

Hyfi
11-04-2008, 05:55 PM
If they're playing King Crimson tunes, then who's playing the weird soundscape stuff?

Thela Hun Gin Jeet has always been a recording in the middle so that one was easy.

Do they put a slightly different spin on the KC stuff, or is it pretty straight forward?

I'd say straight forward enough. That is why if no one told you it was a couple teens playing, you would never guess.

Maybe the bass player is playing through some sort of modeling synthesizer.

No. Julie, like Tal Wilkenfeld, is the real deal and somehow makes it look easy. In my review of the show last year, I commented on how Julie had zip for stage presence except for the fact that she's cute and all over that bass. I was only several rows back in line with her during the show. She doesn't jump around, no hair swings, no real emotion and plays in bare feet.

The main comment about Elephant Talk is because the whole thing is played up on the fret board with both hands. Tapping and sliding with both hands as if she were playing a stick.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jUkt_ymc-3o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jUkt_ymc-3o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here with Claypool, Belew, Levin, and Mastelotto

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/knAomaH0MPQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/knAomaH0MPQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Auricauricle
11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey, H!

Thank for the recommendation; I'm a big Belew fan (yeah, you knew that didn't you?).

I suggest you look for Salad Days. Kind of a compendium, but more accoustic, if memory serves. His "Men in Helicopters" and "The Rail Song" are pretty darn heart-tuggin'....You know how it is with the boy....