Help Selecting Portable CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Selecting Portable CD Player

dynaco_user
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I am looking for a good quality portable CD player that will also play CDs that have .mp3 files. I did see the "the best portable audio device" thread started by “sgt bass08”, but his signature has the line “I Prefer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All”. I have a feeling the recommendations he might be looking for and receiving are not what I would be looking for. Believe me, I am not knocking what he is looking for – different strokes for different folks – but what I am looking for is a player that not only has a very good frequency response but also a very flat one. It seems if you are not careful in what you buy today, you end up with exaggerated bass you cannot satisfactorily alter.

A few years back I purchased a set of Altec computer speakers that had small left and right speakers and a larger center speaker for the low end. Biggest mistake I ever made. Even after filling the reflex port of the center speaker with paper towels and laying the speaker face down I could never adjust the sound it so it would decently reproduce music. By the time I lowered the bass output enough to sound decent, a lot of the mid frequencies were gone as well.

In any case, if you have any recommendations on the portable CD player with .mp3 capability, I would welcome your contribution. I was thinking of a Samsung MCD-SF75 based on what the sales literature indicated but it is hard to separate spin from fact. In addition, it appears Samsung is no longer making the MCD line so that selection is academic.

If that is the trend, I might have to consider a solid state player of some sort as a second choice, but my requirements would be the same and I have bad feeling that most of the iPod type devices have a frequency response that is geared to an age group much younger than mine. I don’t know that for a fact since I have never listened to one, but when I see “Outstanding deep bass” in the literature, it is a good indicator to me that it isn't what I am looking for.

Thanks.

atomicAdam
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
If that is the trend, I might have to consider a solid state player of some sort as a second choice, but my requirements would be the same and I have bad feeling that most of the iPod type devices have a frequency response that is geared to an age group much younger than mine. I don’t know that for a fact since I have never listened to one, but when I see “Outstanding deep bass” in the literature, it is a good indicator to me that it isn't what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Well, Sorry I can't be of help with the CD player but I can tell you that the iPod pre-set EQ settings have quite a variety to them. As well, other MP3 players that actually allow you to adjust the EQ yourself might be something you could look into, though from my experience these are often just 2 band EQs. For instance the Insignia, Best Buy's brand MP3 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/portables/mp3-players/insignia/pilot-8gb-video-mp3-player-with-bluetooth-technology/PRD_418983_5548crx.aspx) allows for custom EQ settings.

Good luck on your search.

dynaco_user
11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, Sorry I can't be of help with the CD player but I can tell you that the iPod pre-set EQ settings have quite a variety to them. As well, other MP3 players that actually allow you to adjust the EQ yourself might be something you could look into, though from my experience these are often just 2 band EQs. For instance the Insignia, Best Buy's brand MP3 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/portables/mp3-players/insignia/pilot-8gb-video-mp3-player-with-bluetooth-technology/PRD_418983_5548crx.aspx) allows for custom EQ settings.

Good luck on your search.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about portable mp3 players with equalizers, but since there have been no postings on possible CD players, it might be the way to go. I have seen some upper end players with more than the two bands equalization you describe, and paying a little more for that feature as well ability to plays some of the lossless compression formats might in the long run actually be a better way to go than a CD player that can only handle CDs and CDs with.mp3 files. I also suspect that in most cases a higher end player in general is apt to have a flatter response if it has the ability to add bass for those that want that sound. At least I hope that is the case. The fact that it would hold more music files than a CD if the capacity was greater then 700 mb would also be a plus since you wouldn't have to change CDs.

Thanks again for bringing me up to speed.

atomicAdam
11-07-2008, 07:28 PM
No problem, seeing as I've not seen or owned a portable CD player in about 8 years, I can only suggest what I know.

Hope you find something that suits your fancy, and remember, if you don't like it, you can always return it.

Rich-n-Texas
11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Nice post aA. Your test account worked right (Yeah I caught that test... :yesnod: )? I gave my last portable CD player away at a White Elephant at my CC manager's Christmas party a couple of years ago.

Christmas party season is fast approaching. :cool: