Can Kenwood KC-X1 Pass Thru Audio Without Equalization? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can Kenwood KC-X1 Pass Thru Audio Without Equalization?

berchman
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BD55K DVD player which decodes Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio
Advanced. Is it possible to have my Kenwood KC-X1 preamp simply pass through the DTS-HD audio without subjecting it to equalization? If so, how do I do that?

Also, what is the best way to connect the Kenwood to my Velodyne SPL 1000R subwoofer?

markw
11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Isn't the Kenwood KC-X1 a non-digital (Dolby Pro Logic only) unit that only accepts two channel analog audio inputs?

Unless it will accept 5.1 (or more) analog inputs, I don't see you getting anything more than DPL from that unit.

berchman
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't know if this is responsive to your question, but the Kenwood manual says it has the following:
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby 3 Stereo
THX Cinema
DSP Logic
Mono

markw
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't know if this is responsive to your question, but the Kenwood manual says it has the following:
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby 3 Stereo
THX Cinema
DSP Logic
MonoFrom what I can see, you can feed your unit a two-channel (stereo) analog output from that unit. From that, you can derive any of those matrixed (not discrete) sound fields you list.

You cannot do any digital processing, and this includes Dolby Digital, DTS, or any of those new-fangled hi-rez formats touted for Blu-Ray.

Unless, of course, you can input 5.1 (or more) analog inputs from a source that does include DD/DTS or these new hi-rez formats and can internammy decode them and pass them through analog outputs. In which case, you would be bypassing the Kenny's internal processing. RTFM for more on that.

What do you mean "without equalization"?

berchman
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
The Panasonic Blu Ray player can output 5.1 analog. The Kenwood preamp has outputs for 6 speakers (front, center, surrounds, sub). What I'm trying to find out is whether the Kenwood can pass through the decoded signals without itself doing anything to them. That is what I meant by no equalization. If so, which, if any, of the 5 modes I mentioned should it be set to?

markw
11-04-2008, 04:03 AM
The Panasonic Blu Ray player can output 5.1 analog. The Kenwood preamp has outputs for 6 speakers (front, center, surrounds, sub). What I'm trying to find out is whether the Kenwood can pass through the decoded signals without itself doing anything to them. That is what I meant by no equalization. If so, which, if any, of the 5 modes I mentioned should it be set to?You need to set your unit to "stereo". That's the maximum you can get without matrixing/decoding/equalizing or whatever you call it.

Your unit appears to be capable of handling inputs of only two analog channels. The other speaker outputs appear to be matrixed, which means they are mathmaticaly derived from the original two analog channels.

berchman
11-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks for your input. Could I avoid the problem by simply feeding the output from the Panny to the Kenwood KM-X1 amp and bypass any processing by the preamp?

markw
11-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Thanks for your input. Could I avoid the problem by simply feeding the output from the Panny to the Kenwood KM-X1 amp and bypass any processing by the preamp?Yes, but you can only send two channels from the Panny to the Kenny. When doing so, I'd suggest you read the Panny manual carefully and find out how to send a two channel stereo signal out of it's analog outputs. Again, set the Kenwood to stereo.

To put it simply, there ain't no way you can send all of the Panny's discrete channels to that Kenwood. It was made in the days when VHS was king and matrixed Dolby Pro Logic was king of the hill. It's not a bad unit. Just like my stereo units, it's just obsolete for today's HT demands.

[edit] I found a copy of your owner's manual.: http://www.scribd.com/doc/3279389/Kenwood-KCX1-kcx1pdf-Owners-Manual-English

Please note that it has no speaker outputs. It's only a preamp/processor. You would still need a power amplifier. Let's hope someone else can help you because I'm outta ideas.

berchman
11-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I guess I'll just have to eat the money spent on the Kenwoods and buy an Onkyo 705 which ought to solve my problem of getting lossless audio. Thanks for your help.