Movie cataloging software [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movie cataloging software

L.J.
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I've been using DVDspot to keep up with my collection but the service isn't available anymore. I gotta switch over to something else now. I know that Wooch is using DVD aficionado, and this actually seems to be the only other free, online movie cataloging available. Anybody using something else?

Woochifer
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I got onto DVD Aficionado after looking around myself for other movie cataloging options. I recall that there were a couple of products out there where you'd buy a bar code scanner and it came with some database program. The scanned UPC code would get relayed onto the company's website, and they'd return the database info on that DVD title. This is similar to how music players (including iTunes and Real Player) log onto the Gracenote CDDB site whenever you insert a new CD. Not sure if they're available anymore.

I recall that there were some other shareware programs out there, but only a few of them linked to a supported database. Most of the other options only supplied the interface, and you had to enter all of the information yourself and it did not get shared with anybody else.

Speaking of DVD Aficionado, I haven't updated my collection in close to a year! Then again, it's not like I've been buying a lot of DVDs nowadays. :(

L.J.
11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I may have to go with DVD af. There's no way to import my collection over so I'd have to re-enter all my titles over again. I don't wanna bother with that but since it's free I guess I may have to do that.

My viewing habits are crazy so I like to keep up with movies I still have in plastic and stuff like that. I'll grab some movies and leave them on the shelf for a year before I get around to it. I picked up seasons 1-6 of King of Queens last year during black friday but didn't get around to it until recently. Somehow season 6 got mixed in with Seinfeld and I had no clue it was there. I was just about to go repurchase it 'til I happened to come across it today. I need something to help me track this stuff.

I like to sort through my movies on the PS3 browser and decide what I want to watch. This is huge since I have my movies scattered in 6 different areas throughout the house. When the wife says she wants to watch a comedy, I can pull it up on the PS3 browser to browse our titles. Yes, another great reason to purchase a PS3 ;) I also like having the ordered & wishlist sections available. I order from a bunch of different places and like to keep track of all that. I'm surprised most of the guys here don't have some type of movie cataloging. I'm sure Smokey gets confused in those Walmart bins :lol:

I haven't been purchasing for a while myself. I just broke down recently and picked up a couple of BR titles. I'm holding out for some sweet B1G1 amazon sales.

canuckle
11-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Ant Movie Catalog (http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog) - completely free and most wonderful for cataloguing your DVDs and video files.

L.J.
11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Ant Movie Catalog (http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog) - completely free and most wonderful for cataloguing your DVDs and video files.

Cool, I'll look into it. Thanks