B&W speaker experts, please step forward... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W speaker experts, please step forward...

natlus
11-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I recently purchased a used pair of B & W speakers but have searched fruitlessly for WHAT they are, model wise. If any B&W fans can help with the model (and anything else), much appreciated.

Dimensions: 14 and 1/2 length x 8 and 3/4 width x 8 and 1/4 depth. Black veneer with a grill that ends about 1 and 1/2 inches from bottom, with a reveal displaying the white B&W logo in left hand corner. 1 Woofer aprox 5" and 1 tweeter aprox. 1 and 1/4". Back plates show only "bowers & wilkens speakers dm", and #17211 and 17212 on tag in each back panel.

They work perfectly and having replaced, at least temporarily, my Paradigm Mini Monitors, I am listening to the differences. I originally thought these were the DM302's book shelf speakers, but now I think not as no curves or slanted corners. The B&W's bring less heft but am impressed with their clarity. I believe these would join a sub or would belong in a HT system.

For 20$ I lucked out! Thanks in advance.

elapsed
11-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Pictures?

cheers,
elapsed

blackraven
11-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Here's a link to their site and check the product archives Could they be a 1600 series?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=773&pid=1869

natlus
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Thx for B & W site--don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Seems to be the DM100 series...From listening so far will probably end up being an office set up with a small amp, like the eensy sonic impact. If I integrate it with my home system (a Yamaha CA-610II integrated amp, Luxman dz-92 CD player), would think better w/a sub, any recommendations welcome.

blackraven
11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
What size room and would it be for HT, music or both? Whats your budget for a sub and do you want a smaller sized sub?

I'm partial to the the Velodyne SPL series subs, REL and Martin Logan Dynamo and Grotto subs (the grotto is servo controlled). But there are many to choose from and they are just like speakers, every one has their personal favorites.

natlus
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
As to room size, 15x20', budget tops $200. Music only. I'm a big fan of the more laid back, often times english made speakers, no bass hound am I. Though I love my Paradigm mini monitors, dig the KEF sound. Small and crisp would be my criteria, size and sound wise. I'm pretty good at scrounging for good used speakers (in fact my whole system is used--the B&W's were $20 bucks for the pair, in great shape sonically and functionally, and have a couple of Marantz 2230 recievers in the wings, as well as a pair of Wharfedale bookshelf speakers). Finally, I tend to listen to my music at low to moderate levels.

Thx

blackraven
11-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Here's a great deal on a decent inexpensive sub

http://www.audioadvisor.com/clearance.asp

Your other options are to look on Audiogon for a used sub. But for $99 for that Energy sub, you cant go wrong.

natlus
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Dig the sub recommendation. Now all I have to do is get my Marantz receivers up and running....