Rega Planar 3 Tonearm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rega Planar 3 Tonearm

fleecaf
10-31-2008, 05:49 AM
Hello all!

Please go easy, I'm a noob :)

I'm considering buying a second hand Rega Planar 3. The tonearm supplied with it is an s-shaped, shiny metallic alloy one. Is this the standard tonearm supplied by rega? If so what model number is it and is it any good?

Any answer most appreciated...

Chris. Here's a link to a picture of the arm if this helps any..

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1r2rd4&s=4

JohnMichael
10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome fleecaf to AudioReview. I have never seen a Rega Planar 3 with the S shaped arm but I do know that was the first arm they used. It has been quite a few years since they have used that arm. The newer Rega's of the past 20 or so years have used their straight arms which are very nice arms for the money. My concern for you is if that is an original Rega with the S shaped arm it is an older table and may need some maintenance.

The bearing oil may need replaced. A belt if one has not been replaced in a while. I would suggest you play a familiar record to hear if the motor is still turning at the correct speed. Rega's are very dependable and I have enjoyed mine for 10 years now. Also many upgrade items are available such as the new Rega P3 motor. If you purchase the table I would think it would be easy to add a new arm at a later date.

Depending on the price you might be better off buying a used Rega Planar 2 or 3 of a more recent manufacture than taking a chance on an older table. If the table is a great bargain it might be fun to have. I wish I could tell you about the arm but I have no experience with that one.

elapsed
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi fleecaf, the original Rega Planar 3 models in 1977 came with a Acos-Lustre derived R200 tonearm made in Japan. From 1983 onwards the Planar 3 has had the improved RB300 tonearm.

The turntable you are looking at has the original R200 tonearm. I also haven't had any experience with this arm. ;)

cheers,
elapsed

fleecaf
11-01-2008, 03:04 AM
Many thanks for the info guys! Hmmm....It seems to me just from your two replies that the Rega's are well respected decks as you both have one :)

I've also been considering a smattering of other choices, a Systemdek IIX, a Thorens TD160B Mk2, and (just appearing on radar) a Pro-Ject Debut III...Just wondering if any of these are maybe worth considering also??

As for the Rega, I've heard many good things about the RB300, so may just wait for a P2 or P3 to come along sporting one of these beauties!

Thanks,

Chris.

fleecaf
11-03-2008, 05:38 AM
OK, so I was trawling a certain auctions site today and....well....BOY, she's ugly, but I've heard a lot of good things. 'She' is a Systemdek IIX with a Linn Basik LVX tonearm and Thownshend EEI 700 Cartridge for $200....Have I done OK here in terms of being comparable to a Rega??

Thanks,

Chris