Record store finds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record store finds

3-LockBox
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Besides the afore mentioned Ani Difranco, I also heard Secret Machines new one (bought it) heard Spinto Band's latest, which I thought was very reminiscent of Finger Eleven and the new Kaiser Chiefs, niether of which I care for, so I passed. I'm thinkin I'm getting that Difranco.

Also I heard a few tracks from TV On The Radio, Dear Science, which I also liked. I see they have another one from a few years ago, Return To Cookie Mountain, which I have not heard. Any thoughts?

ForeverAutumn
10-30-2008, 05:15 AM
I've been meaning to pick up that new Kaiser Chiefs. I'm hoping to get to BB tonight to buy the new one by The Dears, so thanks for the reminded I've added the Chiefs to my shopping list.

How's the new Secret Machines?

And who's this band that sounds like Finger Eleven? Spinto Band? Is that the name of the band? I'm a big Finger Eleven fan so this sounds like something that I should check out.

Swish
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
...is highly recommended. I'm really starting to like that band.

Swish

3-LockBox
10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I've been meaning to pick up that new Kaiser Chiefs. I'm hoping to get to BB tonight to buy the new one by The Dears, so thanks for the reminded I've added the Chiefs to my shopping list.

How's the new Secret Machines?

And who's this band that sounds like Finger Eleven? Spinto Band? Is that the name of the band? I'm a big Finger Eleven fan so this sounds like something that I should check out.

I have the Kaiser Chief's last one, Yours Truly Angry Mob and it still gets Ipod rotation, but Finger Eleven, not so much...if you really liked Finger Eleven and Kaisers, then you may need to check out Spinto Band, but to me, it was a sort of rehash - its not as bombastic as the last Finger 11 album, leaning more towards brit pop. They had an EP a few years ago that had a tinge of XTC in their sound, but I didn't hear that in the new one. I only heard a few tracks so it may, as they say, be a grower.

Secret Machines's new one, s/t, has the same '80s big beat thing to it - its a tad different from the one I have, Now Here Is Nowhere, which may put previous fans off.
->(edit) Or maybe not. Upon further review, there are similarities, but while Nowhere had an '80s techno pop vibe to some of the songs, the tracks on this new one that hint at glam rock; track seven being reminiscent of '80s ELO or early Flaming Lips. Definitely a big and in your face production, so this is not an audiophile recording by any stretch. Its a fun listen, like the first one, but I wonder if this will have much staying power. I hadn't listened to Nowhere in a while, and revisiting it two weeks ago made me realize it can be a tad fatiguing. This new relies on sound effect wizardry a tad less, but the drums are still closely miked and guitars are as fuzzy as ever. I have not heard Ten Silver Drops, but after this purchase, I don't feel I need to. Muse does this style better IMO.

I wasn't bowled over by the Kaisers new one - sounded samey to me. Maybe its also a grower. But I definitely will be picking up that new TVotR.