HDTV Audio Switcher? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Audio Switcher?

blp321
10-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm new and a novice.
I need a switcher to go back & forth betw. my Cinema speakers and my headphones. (all RCA inputs & outputs).
I have HD TV with HDMI Audio and I do not want to lose any signal.
I see many of the following types of switchers but I am not sure of the differences between: Component Inputs, Stereo Analog Audio Inputs, Stereo Coaxial Stereo Inputs, Composite, Toslink optical digital audio, etc.
Which would work best for HD TV / HDMI Speakers and headphones?
Thanks.
Bruce

pixelthis
10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
If you are using your TV's speakers then its simple, just use the headphone jack of your set, or get two rca plugs connected to a phono plug and plug the rcas into the speaker outs of your tv

blp321
10-31-2008, 04:53 AM
Both my set of speakers as well as my headphones use a set of RCA jacks - and I have only one input for the RCA jacks so I need a switcher. But I am not sure of the differences between switchers that have differnet kinds of audio inputs such as: Component Inputs, Stereo Analog Audio Inputs, Stereo Coaxial Stereo Inputs, Composite, Toslink optical digital audio, etc.
Which would work best for BOSE cinemate speakers and a pair of wireless headphones on HDTV for the best sound with least signal loss? Component Inputs? Stereo Analog Inputs? Stereo Coaxial Inputs? Composite?
Thanks.

Rich-n-Texas
10-31-2008, 05:29 AM
I've never come across a set of headphones that have RCA jacks at the end of the cable. I suspect they're left and right and they're male plugs, is that correct? I and probably a lot of others here have little to no experience with Bose cinemate speakers, so you may not get much help in that regard. Is there a receiver in the mix? Is this a Home Theater in a Box type of arrangement? What brand and model are your headphones?

blp321
10-31-2008, 06:40 AM
I suspect they're left and right and they're male plugs - that is CORRECT.
The WIRELESS headphones sit on a base which has L&R RCA jacks.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-RF960RK-Wireless-Headphones-Tuning/dp/B0001YFZ46
The BOSE Cinemate speakers have a small receiver that also have L&R RCA jacks that plug into the SAME 2 RCA audio inputs in the TV.
I need to switch back & forth.
I know it just requires a simple A-B switch, but I am looking for one that has high quality connections and switches so as to try and not lose any of the audio quality.
Thanks.

blackraven
10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Any AB switcher will do. Niles Audio makes a lot of high quality switchers for various uses.
www.nilesaudio.com

I use a niles switcher for switching between 2 power amps and and 1 pair of speakers.

blp321
10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Excellent! Thank you.