Power Filter for Audio Dilemma [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Filter for Audio Dilemma

bchinn
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Im fairly certain I have power line noise coming through my speakers. At random, I get "pops" that seem to happen when the refrigerator turns off. I also get "static" which during one episode the only clue I could find was the dryer running downstairs. The pops and static only last about 2-3 seconds at a time and happen randomly throughout the day and night.

Im pretty sure its line noise since I had the same problems with my old passive speakers running off a separate amp, and now the same problem with my new active powered speakers. Ive tried switching outlets and get the same problem. I also get the exact same problem through my computer speakers which are across the room in a different outlet. (probably on the same circuit)

I live in a studio in which all ceiling lighting is on dimmers also. Im not sure if this is also contributing.

Ive read that Power filters will help my problem, but never tried them. Im pretty sure I dont need voltage regulation, so no need for conditioner, just filter.

My main question is whether to go with a parallel filter like the audioprism quietlines or a series filter like the APC C5. Im skeptical that running power through filters in series to the speakers wont adversely affect the sound. On the other hand, Im not sure how effective a parallel filter is and the APC C5 seems to have great specs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Audioprism Quietline available from elusivedisc.com

APC C5 power filter available from apc.com

hermanv
11-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Before you invest in a power line filter, check your grounding scheme. Most powerline filters won't fix grounding problems in the house wiring. They are designed to remove noise from a properly working wiring system.

If you are uncertain about the house grounds, get one of those power strips, you know the kind with 6 or 10 outlets all in a row. Plug it into the wall with one of those ground isolation adapters and run a separate ground wire to a cold water pipe from the green adapter wire. Just run the wire across the floor before making a permanent installation to verify if that is your problem.

Running any system without a ground can be a dangerous shock hazard.

Also note if any of your lights dim briefly when one of those appliances starts up. If they do then only a power regenerator will work and those can be expensive new. Note that a member, pixelthis has spoken about fairly cheap used ones.

blackraven
11-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Talk to an elcetrician or the power company. If the power in your house is not grounded then thats a problem.

Doc Sage
11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
And I quote.
" I get "pops" that seem to happen when the refrigerator turns off. I also get "static" which during one episode the only clue I could find was the dryer running downstairs. The pops and static only last about 2-3 seconds at a time and happen randomly throughout the day and night.
Ive tried switching outlets and get the same problem. I also get the exact same problem through my computer speakers which are across the room in a different outlet. (probably on the same circuit)"

You hit the problem on the head with your last couple words of your quotated passage, "on the same circuit". The fridge IS on the same circuit, so is your computer and the outlet where the dryer is connected to. The proper (and expensive) solution is to have a dedicated power source line for your system...and another one for your computer.

Have you tried using a better power bar with a "voltage stabiliser" or "voltage rectifier". The better one have great surge suppressor capacity. I hope you do have one supplying your computer...with a good battery back-up.

Doc Sage

bfalls
11-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Another possible cause could be from passing cars. Especially if you're hearing popping and live close to a street. I have an access road which goes along my property. Noise from the sparkplugs of passing cars can be heard through my TV and audio system. The road is approximately 15-20 feet away from my living room. Since the noise is from high-voltage arcs transmitting through the air, I'm not sure what would supress it. Since it doesn't happen very often, it's not been a real problem, only an observation.