Vinyl Noob... quick question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Noob... quick question...

brevity1
10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I realize that before a turntable's signal gets amplified it needs to (1) get EQ'd and (2) be brought up to Line level. I currently use a decent receiver that has a built in Phono Stage. My turntable also has a built in preamp, but I don't use it.

I've been looking at getting a decent tube preamp to fool around with, but I want to get this straight before I buy anything:
If I hook my turntable into a preamp that does not have a phono-stage, can I still hook that into the Phono section of my receiver? Or will that be too much gain?

Could I switch on the preamp on my table, or would that be too much gain?

Or would I need to get a phono stage on it's own?

Let me know, I'm a tad confused.

markw
10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I'll simply say that you should only run one phono stage.

You shoulrd not run the output of an external (or any) phono preamp into another phono preamp, be it external or built into a receiver.

brevity1
10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
So, in other words, there is really no way to add a preamp without a phono stage to a receiver with a built in phono stage?

02audionoob
10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
a. If you want to use the phono input on your receiver, the only way is to connect the turntable directly to it, with the turntable's preamp switched off.

b. If you want to use the turntable with its preamp switched on, you could run it to the aux, CD, tuner or tape inputs of a receiver or standard preamp (not a phono preamp).

c. If you want to run a tube preamp (not a phono preamp) into a receiver, you will be preamping the signal twice, not counting the original preamping that would be required by the turntable's preamp, since the tube preamp doesn't have a phono stage.

So...the apparent solution is to get a tube phono stage and run that from your turntable to your receiver.

Doc Sage
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
02audionoob,

A phono preamp not only amplify the signal from the phono cartridge, it also add the IRAA equalisation curve to it. This boost the lower frequencies, minimize the trebles and level all from 20 Htz to 20 KHtz or close to that. If you happen to have a moving coil phono cartridge, the amplification is even more drastic.

This said, you will not get good results by "run it to the aux, CD, tuner or tape inputs of a receiver".

brevity1,

The easiest way for you to enjoy your turntable is to run it through the phono preamp in your receiver then feed the tape output to the tube preamp.

Enjoy,
Doc Sage

brevity1
10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
c. If you want to run a tube preamp (not a phono preamp) into a receiver, you will be preamping the signal twice, not counting the original preamping that would be required by the turntable's preamp, since the tube preamp doesn't have a phono stage.

...and double preamping the signal, either that way or by running a preamp in the tape monitor loop, would be downright bad, I take it. That kinda stinks. This means in order to tinker I need to buy a whole darn system?

02audionoob
10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Doc Sage,

A turntable with a built-in preamp is made for specifically the purpose of connecting the turntable to inputs other than the phono inputs...in other words...aux, CD, tuner or tape.

brevity1,

To tinker, you could start by adding a tube phono stage to your turntable.

02audionoob

brevity1
10-28-2008, 04:44 PM
02audionoob,

A phono preamp not only amplify the signal from the phono cartridge, it also add the IRAA equalisation curve to it. This boost the lower frequencies, minimize the trebles and level all from 20 Htz to 20 KHtz or close to that. If you happen to have a moving coil phono cartridge, the amplification is even more drastic.

This said, you will not get good results by "run it to the aux, CD, tuner or tape inputs of a receiver".

brevity1,

The easiest way for you to enjoy your turntable is to run it through the phono preamp in your receiver then feed the tape output to the tube preamp.

Enjoy,
Doc Sage

So that will work. Awesome. Thanks!

02audionoob
10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Why would you want to run the phono into your receiver, where it is preamped and RIAA equalised, then through the tape outputs to a tube preamp, only to have to run it back to the tape inputs to get it amplified? You can obviously run the phono into the receiver and listen to it without adding another preamp. Seems like preamp on top of preamp is adding more noise and degradation.

brevity1
10-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I would like to start experimenting/upgrading my system, and tube preamp seems like a cheap way to just start tinkering.

Though now that I think about it, would it make sense to run Tape Out -> Aux/CD? Or is that the same as running back to Tape In

02audionoob
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
It would seem that running it to tape out and then to tape in would give you the option of switching on the tape monitor to listen to the tube preamp, like the way you might hook up an equalizer. Of course, I could still be a tad confused, to use your line... :)

Doc Sage
10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
02audionoob,
I went with what brevity1 said in his first post, "My turntable also has a built in preamp, but I don't use it." You are right, if you use the built-in pre-amp on the table, you should run it through the aux, cd or tade input.

You are also right to say, "To tinker, you could start by adding a tube phono stage to your turntable.". I think, you would get more bang for your bucks.

Doc Sage

brevity1
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Cool! Thanks everyone!