Week 11: 25 Best Live Records of All Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 11: 25 Best Live Records of All Time

Swish
10-27-2008, 05:38 AM
The interest in this continuing series is tepid at best, and not nearly as fun as the 50 Records That Changed Music, but I'm going to keep going until they're all posted. Pity clicks are welcome. This week's selection, drum roll please, is...

15) Live At The Old Quarter--Townes Van Zandt: It was apparently very hot and humid in the club and the air conditioning was non-existent. It sounds hot. It sounds oppressive. Townes was never Mr. Energy to begin with. And once he established his core repertoire, he spent the rest of his career croaking it out along with lots of cover tunes. I still can’t figure out what he’s talking about half the time, but I know the stories don’t end well. That’s the thing about singing about losers: they always lose.

Another one that I haven't heard, but Townes was a legend in the alt-country domain, covered by many who were, and are, much more famous than Townes. His battle with booze ended in 1997 at the rather young age of 52 (ironically 44 years after, to the day, of the death of Hank Williams, his biggest influence), but he left behind quite a legacy.

Swish

Mr MidFi
10-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Here's your pity-click, Swish. To be honest, I haven't heard this one yet. But the mini-review isn't necessarily putting a burr in my saddle to go out and find it, either.

I will say this, though...Townes was an excellent songwriter. And his untimely death was a very sad day for American music. Too bad it had to end like it did.

jonnyhambone
10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
this isn't my fave TVZ album but very good if you like him at all. I missed seeing him at a great lil' bar in Eugene the year before he died...one of my bigger music-oriented regrets. I just picked up the Fat Possum reissued vinyl of Delta Momma Blues last week...great album! Has a few of his best songs (his worst day writing would be an un-dreamable one for most folks), and is a nice mix of slow forlorn love songs and boozy bluesy country head-bobbers. I think they've reissued a few of his on good sounding vinyl which is awesome 'cause they always cost an arm and leg if you ever see 'em.
I'm jonnyhambone & I approve this weeks selection.

PS. vote!

ForeverAutumn
10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
15) Live At The Old Quarter--Townes Van Zandt: It was apparently very hot and humid in the club and the air conditioning was non-existent. It sounds hot. It sounds oppressive. Townes was never Mr. Energy to begin with. And once he established his core repertoire, he spent the rest of his career croaking it out along with lots of cover tunes. I still can’t figure out what he’s talking about half the time, but I know the stories don’t end well. That’s the thing about singing about losers: they always lose.

This is supposed to be a review for one of the best live recordings? For a review, it's certainly not very inspiring. I'll take jonny's review; that one makes me want to hear the record. This review makes me want to avoid it. Who's writing this crap?

Sorry that I can't comment on the album itself...I've never heard it.

BradH
10-29-2008, 09:42 AM
The reviewer didn't explain why this particluar TVZ pick is one the 25 best live albums.

Edit: FA beat me to the punch. This reviewer is doing what I suspected from the start. He's picking his fave artists (heavy on the solo acts because, dude, no one wants to be accused of "rockism"), oh and these artists really mean it man!

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean all these picks are great sounding recordings of top notch performances and delivery and that's exactly what they should be, otherwise, it's 25 Live Albums From Random Artists I Really Like.

And do we need to stipulate once again that Swish is not picking these?

Swish
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
This reviewer is doing what I suspected from the start. He's picking his fave artists (heavy on the solo acts because, dude, no one wants to be accused of "rockism"), oh and these artists really mean it man!

There's only one that is mildly obscure, while there are number of big name bands, as you would expect. These are his favorites, no matter how we feel about 'em, and I would agree that a few of the choices are are head-scratchers.

Swish - no, this isn't my list

3-LockBox
11-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I think the creator of this list is trying ohhh sooo hard to be hip and pick obscure stuff - I'd be shocked if the reviewer has actually listened to the albums he/she has picked more than once, if at all.

Swish
11-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I think the creator of this list is trying ohhh sooo hard to be hip and pick obscure stuff - I'd be shocked if the reviewer has actually listened to the albums he/she has picked more than once, if at all.

...that will make your eat your words. Well, let's say they'll make you back off and give him a little respect. He appears to be a fairly knowledgeable guy, although I do agree he stretched a little bit here and there. Like I said, keep an eye out for the remainder of the list. I doubt you'll find any of them obscure, although one is a little bit off the beaten path.

Swish

Mr MidFi
11-03-2008, 06:20 AM
To be fair, several of this guy's choices have been among my favorite all-time live discs, too. Count me as still very interested.