LCD is Dead [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD is Dead

RoadRunner6
10-25-2008, 08:31 PM
The Manufacture of LCD HDTV's Causes Global Warming, Soon to be Banned!

A recent AP story states:

"......The manufacture of LCD screens involves a chemical whose gas is thousands of times better at trapping atmospheric heat than carbon dioxide. That gas, nitrogen triflouride, is on the rise......Nitrogen trifluoride previously has been considered such a small problem that it's generally been ignored. The gas is used as a cleaning agent during the manufacture of liquid crystal display television and computer monitors and for thin-film solar panels.
Earlier efforts to determine how much nitrogen trifluoride is in the air dramatically underestimated the amounts, said Ray Weiss, a geochemistry professor with Scripps Institution of Oceanography and lead author on a nitrogen trifluoride paper. It is set to be published in Geophysical Letters in November. Nitrogen trifluoride levels in the air — measured in parts per trillion — have quadrupled in the last decade and increased 30-fold since 1978, according to Weiss, who is also a co-author of the methane paper......Nitrogen trifluoride is one of the more potent gases, thousands of times stronger at trapping heat than carbon dioxide......It was futha noted that LCD's from the Vizio LCD manufacturing company had several times stronger concentration of the nitrogen trifluoride cleaning fluid due to the fact that Vizio contracts their parts from a supplier in Detroit.....LCD displays from Panasonic are not affected because they clean their parts with Windex....."

RR6 :22:

natronforever
10-25-2008, 11:38 PM
So some gas nobody has ever heard of is on the rise, is it? LCD manufacturing to blame? Good thing I bought a plasma (and happily). Still, that AP story looks to be little more than an agenda driven scare tactic, for whatever reason. For a four fold (or even a 30 fold) increase to be statistically significant when measured in parts per trillion, its baseline level would have needed to be quite large. Of course, the fact that nobody appeared to care about nitrogen triflouride levels until recently makes me assume its levels have been historically very low. If a 1 part per trillion baseline were quadrupled to 4 parts per trillion, then most would agree that despite its 4 fold increase, it's comparative difference to the baseline would be completely negligible. Of course, that data seems to be missing. The earth has been around for several billion years. I doubt a few more LCD screens is going to throw if off its axis.

DetroitIrish
10-26-2008, 04:08 AM
meh, we dont have to start worrying until California bans the sale of/Comes up with a tax for LCDs

LOL

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Should I start playing a requiem now?

Rich-n-Texas
10-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Oh boy! A soon to be political debate thread!

Al Gore. :rolleyes:

RoadRunner6
10-26-2008, 11:59 AM
AP news release, dateline Sacramento: ".....Caulifornia Governator, Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger, announced on Friday that all LCD flat panel TV's purchased since 1972 would have to be registered with the State of California Clean Air Agency no later than February 28th, 2009. Anyone failing to register would have their LCD TV subject to confiscation....."

Recently overheard shouts from the residence of Mr. Pixelthis:

They will have to pry my LCD from my cold dead hands !!!

RR6 :D

RoadRunner6
10-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Bumper sticker observed on Mr. Pixelthis' car:

LCD's Don't Cause Global Warming
People Cause Global Warming

mbbuchanan
10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm sure cow flatulence and chili cook-offs are a bigger green house threat.

RoadRunner6
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
cow flatulence

How did you know Pixie's nickname?

RR6 :biggrin5:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-26-2008, 05:22 PM

Bad, bad. RR.....LOLOLOL

pixelthis
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM

You oughta know, fartbox.
They use the same stuff to clean plasmas, probably, that is if you just didnt make the whole thing up.
I saw a 46" LCD on sale in the papers , an olevia, 949 BUCKS.
And my brother read that they are going for the 350$ 32" "everyman "
LCD, if they can get the cost down enough.
Thats something you will never see, a HQ plasma under 500$.
Maybe they can bring back EDTV.:1:

RoadRunner6
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Shame on you for thinking I would make that up!

http://mobile.itwire.com/content/view/21326/1066/

Duds
10-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Have you ever seen an Olevia tv in person? Definitely not worth $950.

You oughta know, fartbox.
They use the same stuff to clean plasmas, probably, that is if you just didnt make the whole thing up.
I saw a 46" LCD on sale in the papers , an olevia, 949 BUCKS.
And my brother read that they are going for the 350$ 32" "everyman "
LCD, if they can get the cost down enough.
Thats something you will never see, a HQ plasma under 500$.
Maybe they can bring back EDTV.:1:

GMichael
10-27-2008, 05:14 AM
You guys quack me up.

audio amateur
10-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Recently overheard shouts from the residence of Mr. Pixelthis:

They will have to pry my LCD from my cold dead hands !!!

Brilliant, my friend, brilliant..

AncientWalkman
10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
soo they should put lcds on discount so i can get one for cheap sweeeeet

02audionoob
10-27-2008, 07:24 PM
I saw the Olevia side-by-side with a Philips, yesterday. The Olevia was awful. Just plain bad.

pixelthis
10-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw the Olevia side-by-side with a Philips, yesterday. The Olevia was awful. Just plain bad.

TRUE ENOUGH DAT.
However their larger sets sometimes have the realto chip, and they aint half bad.
ALSO their HD performace is quite good.:1: