Paging PatD and other classical gurus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paging PatD and other classical gurus

Mr MidFi
03-12-2004, 12:55 PM
I need a rec on a good recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Something with excellent performance, clarity, dynamics...the works. Any suggestions?

Davey
03-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Well, I don't know if it's the best ever, but the Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra edition of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (RCA Living Stereo LSC-2201) is the best I've heard, but I only have maybe three versions. Mine is a Classic Records 33 rpm vinyl reissue from about 6 or 7 years ago and sounds wonderful, although they also later did a four disc 45 rpm single sided pressing that is supposed to be extraordinary for those with unlimited budgets :)

Sorry, don't have any CD experience with it but I'm sure this one is available in that format.

Dusty Chalk
03-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Yes, that one is a classic.

Other than that, I'll have to look and get back to you on that, I have over a dozen versions, I'm sure. Easily one of my -- if not my the most -- favourite classical pieces ever. It's in the blood.

Javier
03-12-2004, 06:05 PM
I need a rec on a good recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Something with excellent performance, clarity, dynamics...the works. Any suggestions?
Charles Dutoit Montreal symphoni orchestra on decca pretty good also great recording also features Nigth in bare mountain and rusian easter festival.

Jack in Wilmington
03-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Like Davey, I also have the Chicago Symphony recording with Fritz Reiner conducting. But I have the CD version and it is spectacular. The 33 minute "Pictures" is the highlight of the CD, but there are some other great pieces by Tchaikovsky and some other lesser known Russian composers.

BarryL
03-13-2004, 08:37 AM
This is the one I have. Dutoit's version was very highly regarded at the time. It is certainly good enough for me.

Sealed
03-13-2004, 09:08 AM
In addition to Dutoit, check out Telarcs version. Nice dynamics, uncompressed, and powerful.

Pat D
03-13-2004, 11:59 AM
The Telarc recording with Maazel really is a fine performance and the sound is also excellent. It is dynamic in the bass, too, as is usual with Telarcs of that age. I listened to it a few weeks ago while visting at a friend's house and it really is a fine performance.

Two classic recordings are Reiner and a mid-1960's Karajan, both of which have superb performances and excellent sound for their vintage. I can recommend both of them very highly. I also have a good version with Abbado on DG.

My own favorite is Ansermet with the Suisse Romande Orchestra on London Weekend Classics, recorded about 1959. It has spacious sound, though the bass is rolled off compared to many recordings. I find it the best characterized of any I have heard and it is the one I personally think of when I have a hankering to listen to Pictures. However, most people prefer something else.

hifitommy
03-14-2004, 07:50 AM
on the maazel/cleveland/telarc but its performance is near definitive as well. the tempos are all right in and the musicians are certainly up to the task.

the version to have is the vinyl which was released here before cd was even available in this country. it seems to be clearer to me.

also on telarc is the yoel levy and atlanta. only on cd but wonderful as well.

the reiner is ceertainly right up there as well but i only have it on cd.

my favorite pix is by the synthesizer genius-tomita. it becomes nearly visual in its expression of certain movements such as the ballet of the chicks in their shells. tomitas other work is worth seeking as well, kosmos is a standout which includes concierto de aranjuez.

numerous piano and organ versions of pix are available and interesting.

the planets suite by gustav holst is another piece that has been performed by many and my fave there is zubin mehta and the LA phil, and andre preivns on telarc isnt bad.

again, tomita does this as well, complete with a blastoff sequence that keeps in consonance with the intention of the composer (that has been protested by the hoslt family).

Mr MidFi
03-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I had the Maazel/Telarc disc in my hand a few days ago, but decided to ask around here first before pulling the trigger. At least I know where I can find it now.

When I was 13, the ELP Pix at Ex was one of the very first LPs I ever bought. It might have been the first. But I've always enjoyed the classical rendition better, and it's amazing I haven't bought one on CD (till now).

If I find the Reiner/CSO version as well, I might have some serious decidin' to do...

hifitommy
03-15-2004, 07:17 AM
"If I find the Reiner/CSO version as well, I might have some serious decidin' to do..."

get them both. i cant tell you how many versions of pix i have. many more on vinyl and that may be due to the lower prices one can pay for vinyl. the planets and symphonie fantastique as well. the inventory can be much larger at lower cost, equipment and all.