Music Hall MMF7 tonearm counterweight issues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music Hall MMF7 tonearm counterweight issues

nightflier
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I really like this TT, but I have been struggling with my MMF7's alignment for a while now and is it just me or does that rubber insert inside the counter-weight just not work? I mean in order to set the weight properly I have to twist it all the way in, almost damaging the cheap (?) rubber thread. Has anyone else had any trouble with this?

Also, since I've been giving this some thought, if I wanted to replace the tonearm on this table, is that a possibility (that is, without soldering)? If so, any recommendations for an arm that is still in the same class as the MMF7 (i.e. not uber-expensive)?

Thanks.

02audionoob
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Interesting situation. I have almost the opposite condition on my MMF-5. I have to twist the counterweight far toward the end. What cartridge do you have?

blackraven
10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
The new MMF7.1 version uses a carbon fiber tone arm. I think its a project arm.

nightflier
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Interesting situation. I have almost the opposite condition on my MMF-5. I have to twist the counterweight far toward the end. What cartridge do you have?

My Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood's cantilever broke so I had to go back to the stock Goldring Eroica. Not a bad cartridge, though, but the CVW was way better.

Blackraven, do you know if I could mount that new tone-arm on the MMF-7? There's one on sale second hand that I might consider.

02audionoob
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
If the Eroica was the stock cartridge, it seems like it would be an easy adjustment, unless you have an extra or non-stock counterweight. But the Eroica is pretty light, by comparison to something like the GL 2400. Maybe the arm is really designed for some of the slightly heavier cartridges.

nightflier
11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
If the Eroica was the stock cartridge, it seems like it would be an easy adjustment, unless you have an extra or non-stock counterweight. But the Eroica is pretty light, by comparison to something like the GL 2400. Maybe the arm is really designed for some of the slightly heavier cartridges.

Well it is dialed in all the way to the end of the screw, so maybe I should consider a heavier cartridge. Even my former Clearaudio cart was heavier, so that does make sense. That is odd, though, since the Goldring is the cartridge that it came with - you'd think they would have included one that sits somewhere in the middle of the scale.

Hmmmm, I've had my eye on a Sumiko Blackbird and also that Shelter 501. Maybe it's time...