Best Move to test new setup? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Move to test new setup?

DetroitIrish
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok, maybe not the best but I'm looking for recommendations to try out my new AVR when it gets here. Contrary to other posts, no right or wrong answer, just looking for which movies you think give off the best sound

topspeed
10-23-2008, 12:21 PM
One of the best surround movies I remember is Master and Commander. Awesome LFE and surround effects, particularly when they are in the hold during the storm. Creaks everywhere.

Pretty good flick, too.

L.J.
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah give M&C a go. Also, any newer released Blurays(you gotta PS3 right) are gonna give you fantastic sound. Give Cloverfield a try and definitely Iron Man, Batman Begins. Anything by Disney is good. Sony got some good ones(Spiderman) and give Fox a go(I,Robot,X-Men). Also for DVD, I would suggest War of the Worlds. Great bass. OK, I'm sounding like a kid in a candy store :biggrin5:

Top, what's going down bro? Lovin' the weather. I thought the triple digits this year was gonna kill me.

Rich-n-Texas
10-23-2008, 05:13 PM
His next flyby isn't until tomorrow sometime L.J. Don't wait up.

Worf101
10-24-2008, 04:44 AM
One of the best surround movies I remember is Master and Commander. Awesome LFE and surround effects, particularly when they are in the hold during the storm. Creaks everywhere.

Pretty good flick, too.
+1 MaC is my reference DVD.

That and "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

Between the two you'll get a great idea how the system handles both action and music.

Da Worfster

zepman1
10-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Another vote for M&C.

Matrix Revolutions with the big battle at the end.

topspeed
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Top, what's going down bro? Lovin' the weather. I thought the triple digits this year was gonna kill me.

No joke. I can't remember being more fed up with summer than this one. It didn't get stupid hot like it was a few years ago when we saw 118 and 120, but c'mon! It seemed like it popped over 100 in May and just stayed there until recently! I'm not a hot weather guy either. I'm usually in a suit so summers for me just plain suck. Give me cold and rain and I'm a happy camper.:)

Same 'ol stuff for me. Got a couple of new cars and the wife bought me a 80g PS3 for my birthday (yeah, she's a keeper). That said, she was more than a little dissappointed to hear that we can't take advantage of all that BR has to offer as my set is a 720p and my receiver is too old to decode the new lossless formats. Ah well, cie la vie.

How's it with you?

Rich-n-Texas
10-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Uhhh... take it private please. :rolleyes:

L.J.
10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
No joke. I can't remember being more fed up with summer than this one. It didn't get stupid hot like it was a few years ago when we saw 118 and 120, but c'mon! It seemed like it popped over 100 in May and just stayed there until recently! I'm not a hot weather guy either. I'm usually in a suit so summers for me just plain suck. Give me cold and rain and I'm a happy camper.:)

Same 'ol stuff for me. Got a couple of new cars and the wife bought me a 80g PS3 for my birthday (yeah, she's a keeper). That said, she was more than a little dissappointed to hear that we can't take advantage of all that BR has to offer as my set is a 720p and my receiver is too old to decode the new lossless formats. Ah well, cie la vie.

How's it with you?

Just chillin'. Trying to hang in with Oakland and hope we get more than 5 wins this year :mad2:

Another AR member with a PS3. Looks like it's dominating over here. And I actually use mine for gaming. I'm sure you still notice the improvements from the higher bitrates. That DTS @ 1.5 mbps sounds pretty sweet. If you ever get around to doing some online gaming, drop your PSN ID over at the PS3 discussion thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=27594) so we can add you to our list. I'm figuring we'd all end up with the same game eventually.

No new toys for me. The wife and I have been wanting a new ride but I just paid my truck off. Trying to take a break from payments for a bit. We'll see how long that lasts for.

Smokey
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
The movie is not as good as the first one, but soundtrack will give your AVR a good work out.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/j/images/jurassic-park-1.jpg

eisforelectronic
10-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I hear the new Hulk Blu-ray is pretty good surround wise.