Inexpensive cables for budget system! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive cables for budget system!

tony340
10-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Hi
I bought some budget equipment for my bedroom, in fact i hooked up my old NAD 3020i to a DENON DCM 460 given by my brother and i bought some MISSION Bookshelves from a second hand dealer. I just want to get some very budget cables, thought of the Audioquest G-Snake or Alpha Snake interconnects, just wondering what speaker cables will best go with this system? Or should i go in for something different for interconnects? How about something like the Audioquest G2 Or X2 for speaker cables? I jsut want to spend as little as possible, since its for a bedroom system, but i would like to connect them with some decent wire.. Thanks

Feanor
10-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi
I bought some budget equipment for my bedroom, in fact i hooked up my old NAD 3020i to a DENON DCM 460 given by my brother and i bought some MISSION Bookshelves from a second hand dealer. I just want to get some very budget cables, thought of the Audioquest G-Snake or Alpha Snake interconnects, just wondering what speaker cables will best go with this system? Or should i go in for something different for interconnects? How about something like the Audioquest G2 Or X2 for speaker cables? I jsut want to spend as little as possible, since its for a bedroom system, but i would like to connect them with some decent wire.. Thanks

Buy from Blue Jean Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/) for best value in professional-grade cables and interconnects. I have found these to be as good as "audiophile" cables costing 4x as much. IMO, in your situation it would be foolish to pop for new Audioquest cables for you old/second-hand system -- especially given they won't work or sound better than the BJCs.

Blue Jeans make most cables to order, that is, to the exact length you specify. You can also usually have a choice of actual cable type and connectors. Blues Jeans offers detailed, no-BS information about all their products.

tony340
10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
The trouble is i live in Singapore and with shipping costs, i think it would be cheaper for me to go and get something off the shop, since i would only need a 1.5m pair of speaker cables and a 0.5m length for ic.. Any other suggestions where i could get something off the shop? Thanks

Feanor
10-24-2008, 03:14 AM
The trouble is i live in Singapore and with shipping costs, i think it would be cheaper for me to go and get something off the shop, since i would only need a 1.5m pair of speaker cables and a 0.5m length for ic.. Any other suggestions where i could get something off the shop? Thanks

Well that's a different situation I guess. My basic advice remains to not over spend on cables. But do avoid really cheap, flimsy cables on the other hand. Good shielding is important and is rarely suffienct in the cheapest cables.