want a good rainy day ghost story? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : want a good rainy day ghost story?

3-LockBox
10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Ghost Story (1981) - The cast is made up of a who's who of cinematic geezers (Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, to name a few), who harbor a decades old secret that literally comes back to haunt them. The actress in this movie, Alice Krige, is the closest thing my generation ever came to Ingred Bergman, playing her role with equal parts seduction and menace - she steals the camera whenever she's on screen. Simple and straight forward, but well written and artfully shot. Some rather gory special effects as well.

What Lies Beneath (2000) - This is a very good movie where you wonder (for a while) whether the person is being haunted is sane or not, only to be presented with an unexpected twist (that Pfeiffer doesn't suck in this could be the twist actually). Not terribly original in the way it borrows from similar movies, it does provide good chills and twists, and Pfeiffer is unusually effective as the affected, and Harrison Ford is, well...Harrison Ford, who never sucks.

A Portrait Of Jennie (1948) - A down-on-his-luck artist is experiencing a creative slump when he meets a friendly, chatty little girl who seems rather knowledgable for her age. He feels inspired by her, if not a little smitten over time...oh go rent the movie if you can, but you'll want to buy it - if you buy it and hate it, then you suck. Seriously. That's how strongly I feel about one of the most haunting and beguiling movies ever made - a movie that no one has even had the balls to remake in 60 years of movie rehashing/recycling since.

Auricauricle
10-18-2008, 07:07 PM
A ghost story from the fambly:

In 1929,a great grandmother who ran a nursing school and hospital after the death of her husband, a physician named Charles, sold the practice and bought a house on the beach. The resort, Pawley’s Island, was a small one, where the houses were few and neighbors knew one another and children played in sand that was as white as snow. Clara, as she was named, or Tawa to her family, was originally from Norway: ans was a clear headed and intelligent woman. On an afternoon in 1954, Tawa saw something that shook her to her core.

In 1954, Tawa brought her daughter, Helen, and grandchildren, my two uncles Charlie and Rusty and my mother, Dada, to the house for the summer. Tawa and Helen watched over the kids while sitting in a gazebo that had been placed atop a high sand dune, using binoculars as they did so. At one point, Tawa took the binoculars away from her face and turned to Helen. After Helen asked about the matter, Tawa replied, “Just take the children off the beach”.

When they were indoors, Tawa told them about a man she had seen, leisurely walking down the beach. As Tawa watched, the man walked among the children and proceeded. Not one child noticed, and as Tawa watched he disappeared.

As the children and Helen chuckled, there was a knock on the door. It was highway patrolman from nearby Georgetown. He told the family there was a storm coming, and they needed to vacate the area as soon as possible.

That night, Hurricane Hazel struck the coast. Although ground zero was near the South Carolina-North Carolina border, the storm did much damage, destroying the tiny resort that was Myrtle Beach and razing nearly every house at Pawley’s Island.

When Tawa returned to the beach a few weeks afterwards, she was relieved to see that only a broken window marked the passage of the storm. The rest of the house was intact.

On Pawley’s Island, the legend of the Gray Man is well known by residents, who look for his passage in Hurricane season. Note his presence, the story goes, and your life and possessions will be spared; don’t and nothing shall be spared.

I am not sure what Tawa saw that day. I know this story only as Helen, my grandmother, told it to me.

I still get prickles on my back from telling it.

This is a true story.

http://www.state.sc.us/scdah/grayman.htm
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/19541015/