Hhmmm... new PartsExpress.com speaker kits... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hhmmm... new PartsExpress.com speaker kits...

Jimmy C
11-21-2003, 03:08 PM
...the BR1 is a great speaker for $139, but I'll bet these under-$400 new upscale kits are really Huck Finn good!

Two of them caught my eye - a Peerless/Morel stand-mount and a Vifa 2-way. In addition, there are MTM designs from Dayton's own speakers... better than the BR1 drivers. Not sure who really makes their speakers (derived from the far East?), but the BR1 is at least competent... the better stuff should be up on the next level (or two) of sonic nirvana.

Oh - bonus plan... I THINK (meaning "not positive") the x-overs are already assembled... all one needs in a screwdriver, a soldering iron for the speaker wire connectors (if desired, I used the chinzy crimpclips) and one or two other basic tools.

Looks like Jimmy Boy is gonna have another pair of speakers (yeah... like I NEED that!)

This Guy
11-21-2003, 06:57 PM
That vifa/dayton MTM looks pleasing. I don't know why they make these seakers so inefficient though, and they're rated at 2.83 volts instead of 1 watt a meter so you have to subtract around 3 dB from that and you got like an 82 db 1 watt 1 meter. Does your Dayton kit seem hard to drive or do you not really notice a difference in efficiency from your other speakers? The efficiency is really the only thing that has kept me from buying one of those. I have yet to start my line array project which will have eight 4" midranges, two bullet tweeters, and two 10" woofers per speaker. Can't wait till their all done. Oh and those of you who are looking for a sub amp, Check out partsexpress.com , they got new 1000 ($400) and 500 watt ($300)sub amps with built in Parametric equalizers which look like a steal at those prices.

-Joey

Jimmy C
11-22-2003, 03:00 PM
...yup... a bit tougher, but can still reach PSH levels with a Denon 75 WPC amp...lol. I think SET fans should steer clear, but if you have a GOOD 30 watt, I would be willing to bet comfortable levels of bass and impact can be easily achieved.

Good luck with the line array... I'm not QUITE that ambitious yet ;^)

agtpunx40
11-23-2003, 11:46 AM
nt nt nt

This Guy
11-23-2003, 02:29 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808&ctab=1