Seasonal Rave Recording! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Rave Recording!

Doc Sage
10-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Why do I reach for Dr. John at this time of the year? It was Peter Gabriel yesterday. This past week I listen to half a dozen recordings that I have not played in nine months. It must be autumn.

In the summer I play Bob Marley, some compilation Salsa CD's and War. Santana is never far away...or how about an acoustic latin guitar instrumentals CD or two?

In the dead of winter it's the Blues, Stevie, BB Kings and company. I also reach for classic rock, the Stones, Traffic, Floyd and the likes. Come spring my taste runs for a lighter taste; Fleetwood, the Pretenders, Steely Dan or the Cowboy Junkies.

Mind you jazz has no season, it's "pure" music and I find an hunger for it late at nights or sometime in the morning. It's great driving music, like cross country. Can we do without a soft instumental jazz or two with wine and candle dinner? Guy's, put on Etta James' Mystery Lady, a couple candles and you WILL get lucky tonight. LOL

Motown, Gipsy Kings and CCR is camping music. The Beatles is happy music and so is the Stay Cats.

How about you? Do you find that you play certain type of tunes come a new season? Or reach for this or that when it rains? What do you play Sunday mornings? You will find Ottmar Liebert + Luna Negra at my place.

Doc Sage

emesbee
10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
When I want to be uplifted, I play some Irish jigs and reels. Lunasa and Flook are favourites of mine. Flook's CD, Rubai, would have to be one of the happiest sounding recordings in my collection.

ForeverAutumn
10-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Good post Doc.

I base my listening more on mood than on season. Although exceptions are made for summer and, of course, Christmas. I tend to like "lighter" music in the summer. I listen to more pop and folk if I'm hanging out in the backyard or barbequing with friends. Other than that I can't say that the season has any effect on what I'm listening to.

bobsticks
10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Great post and absolutely true. The summer months are light and airy, especially in terms of classical (i.e. ensemble v. symphonic)but also all the aformentioned reggae comes out. I throw down with a fair amount of World Beat too.

As the days grow shorter and the nights are getting long it seems natural for more challenging, "heavy" material to come out---at least in terms of the more traditioal arts.I can't find any correlation between season and rock music consumption. It's such a base form, wherever the mood takes one, I suppose.

Mind you jazz has no season, it's "pure" music and I find an hunger for it late at nights or sometime in the morning. It's great driving music, like cross country. Can we do without a soft instumental jazz or two with wine and candle dinner? Guy's, put on Etta James' Mystery Lady, a couple candles and you WILL get lucky tonight. LOL

True, so true. The best way to end any night.

Auricauricle
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
One of the big draws for me is music's ability to induce an altered state of consciousness. Certain compositions draw me in, deep, and let me get in synch with notions and perceptions that I am not ordinarily attuned to. If I am reading up on a certain disorder or state, I can elicit a much deeper comprehension by firing up the CD player.

I am sure that this outlet has kept me sane and away from substances and experiences that would have done some damage....

opt80
10-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I go through phases.I always like something with a bit of edge or something twangy or bluesy. I do listen to a lot of jazz.

NP. JD Souther ~ If the World Was You. excellent