Have you found nirvana? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you found nirvana?

Doc Sage
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I owed a piece of equipment that, in four years of ownership, has yet to displease me. It always deliver the most exquisite aural experience...shivers up my spine whatever listening to Miles Davis or Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel or Yoshida Brothers. I have mated it with a variety of other links always to great result. I am forever looking for "better" reproduction equipment and have yet to hear something that makes me wish to replace this unit with. I have found nirvana.

How about you? Do you own a piece of equipment that "just does it"? Please tell us about it.

Doc Sage

P.S. Oh!!! It's a pair of JosephAudio RM25si Signature II.

bobsticks
10-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Doc,

Martin Logans combined with McIntosh amps...can't imagine what it would take to get me to change.

...and as I type this the aformentioned Miles Davis validates this.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/images/2008/04/11/kind_of_blue.jpg

---sticks

trollgirl
10-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Ya!

Stax SR-5's powered by the SRA-3S energizer (modded). You may ask, what makes it Nirvana? Yes, glad to say: electrostatic push-pull earspeakers, single-ended triode tubes to power it. The source is almost irrelevant. Oh, I almost forgot the cherry on top: the hard-to-find Static Headroom, which reduces ear fatigue by a big margin. Omega II's hardly tempt me...

Nirvana, a perfect state of nothingness...just outside Des Moines...

blackraven
10-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Magnepan 3.6's with Ayres $10K power amp and $10K CDP.

But back to the real world. My Magnepan QR 1.6's with my new Parasound amp and Van Alstine Tube Hybrid DAC and an All Tube Van Alstine Preamp . I don't own the preamp yet but he let me audition it in my home. I think that once I buy the Preamp sometime next year I will have found Audio Nirvana. That is until I decide to buy the new Marantz 8003 SACDP and the Magnepan 3.6's.

Florian
10-17-2008, 01:29 AM
The only thing that has frustrated me close to the point of total dispear and anger is also the single most importent and loved (on a material basis) piece of gear i own. The Apogee "GRAND". It doesnt matter how long i have to wait or how much money i have to throw at it. It doesnt matter that i need a crane and a fork lift just to move it. The music it reproduces, the sheer reality makes this the most complex and easily enjoyed component i ever had and most likely ever will have in my life.

topspeed
10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Turn 8 @ Laguna Seca, aka "The Corkscrew." Extreme pucker factor. It may not have been Nirvana, but I swear I saw God.

Oh wait, wrong forum...

kexodusc
10-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Equipment? Nah...but I could name a few dozen shiny little circles that do the trick....

GMichael
10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
My Onix Mini Stratas have planner mids & highs while combining conventional mid woofers and powered subs. These bring me many hours of listening bliss every day. Every time I turn them on, they do the same for me.

Rich-n-Texas
10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I thought nirvana only had to do with having sex. :confused:

blackraven
10-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Thats why I replied "Audio Nirvana"!

I think we should all move in with Flo!!!!!!!!

bobsticks
10-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Hindi and has spiritual connotations.

...but the sex thing is good too.

Rich-n-Texas
10-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Hindi and has spiritual connotations.
Is Hindi plural for Hindu? Thanks for the heads-up nonetheless Mr. Stix. I don't want to be traipsing on someone's burial grounds.

...but the sex thing is good too.
I remember when I was able to connect the two.

Bigmoney
10-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Not in my home, but in visiting a local dealer I got to hear the Gallo acoustics 3a's. They sounded great. If I had the money I would have them. At 3k they were incredible, the ribbon tweeter blew me away and they have extremely clean bass especially when connected via the Gallo sub woofer amp. The dealer I go to carries B&W almost exclusively and has shown off the 802d's to me just for kicks. While they sounded great, the Gallos didn't lag far behind for me. By the way, I heard the Gallo's powered by Rotel and the B&W's by Krell. Sometimes I think Krell isn't the best match for B&W though so maybe a different amp would have been better. I find the Krell pretty bright with them or maybe just revealing. All I know is that, when and if the funds are ever available, Gallo's are on the top of my list. :9:

filecat13
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Hindi is a language, Hindu is a religion. Both originated in India.

audio amateur
10-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Turn 8 @ Laguna Seca, aka "The Corkscrew." Extreme pucker factor. It may not have been Nirvana, but I swear I saw God.

Oh wait, wrong forum...
You've driven on the Laguna Seca?

Mike Anderson
10-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I've been very satisfied with my setup for some time now, and still have no desire to fool with it.

All music files on a computer hard drive in FLAC, piped into a DEQX unit for room correction and active crossover setup, into four ICEPower monoblocks (1000wpc on the bass panels, 500 wpc on the mid/treble), into Magnepan 3.6Rs.

JohnMichael
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Even though the Mobile Fidelity OML 1's are fairly new to the system I think they will be around for quite a while.

DetroitIrish
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Oh wait, wrong forum...

damn you beat me to it, i was going to say race gas + burning rubber and getting thrown in the back seat for 1320' :cornut: