Panny 2-Way Cable Card [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Panny 2-Way Cable Card

RoadRunner6
10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I was at the Panasonic site tonight and saw an interesting new version of the 80 series in the 1080p 42" and 50" plasmas. They are the Q series. The 50" is the TH-50P80Q and lists for about $300 more than the current U series. The U and Q series seem to be identical except for this feature.

You might remember the short lived cable cards (no cable box required, great idea). They were one way only and the cable companies didn't like them because they wouldn't make enough money on interactive pay per view etc, so they petered out. Well, now Panny has this new model, but it is currently availble only in the Chicago and Denver area? ABT has it for pre order on their site but at full list price. Are they testing in these markets? Might this be the wave of the future? (I hope so...I hate cable boxes). Here's the scoop from Panny:

".....Tru2way™technology lets you eliminate the cable box **

Tru2way is a new technology being introduced by major cable service operators. This same technology is built-in to the VIERA PZ80Q Series of HDTVs -- allowing you to receive full interactive programming from your tru2way-enabled local cable company without having to rent a traditional cable receiver box. This means no more monthly box rental fees, no need for two separate remote controls, and less extra equipment to clutter your home theater setup. Also, if you move to another tru2way-enabled area, you'll be able to use your TV with no equipment changes required....."

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/VIERA-Plasma-HDTVs/model.TH-50PZ80Q_11002_7000000000000005702

What do you boys and girls think?

RR6 :smile5:

RoadRunner6
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Sorry, this thread has been moved to News and Rumors

Dumb RoadRunner6 couldn't figure out how to make it go away.