Ben Listnoeng - Tuesday Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ben Listnoeng - Tuesday Thread

3-LockBox
10-14-2008, 05:11 AM
So...what have you ben listnoeng to?

HAR HAR HAR!:19:

I been listening to a somewhat new band outta Vancouver BC called Black Mountain who delve in similar waters as Pure Reason Revolution, except they are more akin to early Black Sabbath and late Jefferson Airplane (no...really). Lots of fuzzy guitars, driving beat, mellotron (no...really), and delicate vox from both sexes. Think Marty Balin and Grace Slick doing an album with Iomi, Butler, Ward and whoever else on keys. They do get folky on a few songs, but a faux-psychadelia permiates throughout (not unlike the afore mentioned PRR). The new album is called In The Future, but this stuff is certainly a paen to dad's record collection, provided your dad smoked pot and liked acid rock.

more later...

opt80
10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Just picked up Southside Johnny and The Ashbury Dukes with Labamba's Big Band ~ Grapefruit Moon:The songs of Tom Waits

Waiting for Lucinda: Little Honey to come in from Amazon.ca

Davey
10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
So...what have you ben listnoeng to?
Ben listnoeng? Is there a pun hiding in there somewhere, just out of my reach?

That Black Mountain got a lot of listens here earlier in the year too, though haven't pulled it out in quite awhile. Have to give it a listen cause it is a good one. On the same label as the Bon Iver we were just talking about ... http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=224042&postcount=3

So my rotation over the last week or so has been like this ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/np.gif

3-LockBox
10-14-2008, 10:48 AM
haven't pulled it out in quite awhile...

I doubt that. :yikes:

OK, how did you make that rotating album thingy?

Auricauricle
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, no kidding; cool trick!

Davey
10-14-2008, 10:59 AM
OK, how did you make that rotating album thingy?

You just copy and paste the images from someplace like amazon or amg into a gif editor/animator like the freebie from Microsoft, or the more advanced one you can download at a place like ... http://forum.esoft.in/graphics-design/3453-easy-gif-animator-4-pro-v-4-6-0-34-a.html

Just set the delay for a couple seconds, looping parameters to repeat, size it how you want, etc. and presto, you're a internet geek software whiz. Something you can pull out anytime you want :out:

Auricauricle
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Oooooooooh....

bobsticks
10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Over the last few days I've spent much more time in the office than I'm comfortable with...hence the uniformly mellow nature of the following list...can't really rrock out with my flock out. But, there have been some hidden gems:

Luke Doucet's Blood's Too Rich(thanks FA for mercilessly flogging this)

Sam Cooke's One Night Stand!(thanks Swishy)

Lucinda Williams' World Without Tears

Chris Knight's Heart of Stone (a little more country than alt)

Willie, Ray, and Merle Last of the Breed

Ori That Voice Inside ( a local Bloomington project, reminiscent of my World Comp, with some interesting Samba and Descarga rhythmic structures)

I'm thinkin' tonight's gonna start off with a little dub/reggaeton with one of Mistah Nobody's long lost recs, D.J. Spooky's In The Style: 50,000 Volts of Trojan Records

---sticks

Mr MidFi
10-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Just picked up the new, s/t disc from Secret Machines yesterday. It's got that BIG, bustin' at the seams, intense psychedelic-overdrive sound of Now Here Is Nowhere...with very little of the introspective, sensitive, lost-love, Coldplay-ish sound of their last one. (Not to sound too harsh about Ten Silver Drops, which I actually liked...but after two spins, this one's probably better.)

Looking forward to seeing them and The Dears in just 9 days, at the Metro in Chicago.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Just picked up the new, s/t disc from Secret Machines yesterday. It's got that BIG, bustin' at the seams, intense psychedelic-overdrive sound of Now Here Is Nowhere...with very little of the introspective, sensitive, lost-love, Coldplay-ish sound of their last one. (Not to sound too harsh about Ten Silver Drops, which I actually liked...but after two spins, this one's probably better.)

Looking forward to seeing them and The Dears in just 9 days, at the Metro in Chicago.

I saw Secret Machines open for Interpol during their Now Here Is Nowhere tour and they were good - big, big, huge drum sound! I'm sure you'll enjoy the show.

nobody
10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
No time to post much, but playing Hunky Dory right now and remembering why it's my favorite Bowie.

Been digging the new Thievery Corporation as well, a little more pace and edge than their usual fare without losing any of their identity.

Digging the new Tricky as well...but I've been a long time fan there and like all his albums, even the ones everyone else considers crap.

3-LockBox
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I've been listening to some old prog, just to assure myself that I still like it - I do. But I sure have been let down by the last few titles I've purchased, 'cept of course if you count the new one from Black Mountain as prog (some do). There are some tantelizing releases on the horizon, like Pure Reason Revolution in January of 2009 I believe, and Steve Wilson's solo project early spring 2009.

Listening to that new Black Mountain disc made whip out my copy of Yoke Shire's Masque Of Shadows from a few years ago - good old fashioned atmospheric hard rock (superb bass playing too) - really evokes Thin Lizzy for me.

jonnyhambone
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
The Thermals - The Body, the Blood, the Machine
angry and smart political-charged punk with some serious melodic chops...this'll probably be in heavy rotation for the next 19 days.

I really like that Black Mtn. album too...I heard the woman in the band say that they "sort of rock out, not totally rock, but sorta..." Thought that was pretty funny. True too. They rock but they've listened to too much Fairport Convention and Spirit to totally rock out. Makes me think a bit of the Espers album that came out a couple years ago...like Black Sabbath if they lived on a commune in the Scottish Highlands for a couple years.

I'm also lovin' the David Crosby album, 'If I Could Only Remember My Name'. Had it years ago on cassette but picked up a good vinyl copy last week. wow.

Mr MidFi
10-16-2008, 06:08 AM
No time to post much, but playing Hunky Dory right now and remembering why it's my favorite Bowie.

I downloaded Bowie's Live in Santa Monica '72 not that long ago. The sound quality is boot-tacular, but the performance is pure awesome. Well worth looking into, IMO.