Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers

stevareno
10-10-2008, 08:14 PM
I just bought a pair of these today over the phone...pick up on Sunday....and may well have another pair from someone 100 miles from here

Anyone's thoughts on these? Price was 175.00.

Thanx

02audionoob
10-10-2008, 08:49 PM
The D-9, like most Cerwin-Vega speakers, might not be a very refined speaker, but they rock. If you're a rocker and want your music loud and with strong bass, you'll likely enjoy them.

Glen B
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
02audionoob has just about summed it up right. I owned D-9s, 380SEs, and AT-15s over the years and the same could be said about them all. Unfortunately, I listen to a wide range of music ranging from hip-hop to classical on the two extremes, and the not-very-refined part was more than I could take, so they had to go.

stevareno
11-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I know what you are going to say...but I bought an Onkyo EQ 35 and placed it in the signal path ....dialed down the mids....tweaked the treble ......replaced two of the tweeters that were somewhat scratchy and well now....I am listening to Sunday Morning Baroque on a local station and I have a warm fuzzy feeling all about me. I am driving four of these speakers now with an Onkyo M504, thru a P306 preamp and it all sounds great to my ear. Havent had to turn the volume past the 9 O' CLOCK position. I got my hands on a very rare Onkyo T-9090 tuner from Ebay....the guy just happened to be local.....and the sound is quite nice. My jazz collection is sax heaven.....and when I am feeling 19 again.....my rock collection seems to have new life. I refoamed all four woofers last week and I have a disco in the basement!!

02audionoob
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
All I have to say is, if the sound is quite nice, you did good. :D

tinajoy
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Help! My husband has wanted these FOREVER- and I finally found a pair on craigslist, but i am not sure what I am getting is the real thing-- can someone let know- if i send them pictures, if you can tell me they are worth what I am paying?!
300/pair plus shipping! I dont want to get scammed-- I have no idea what D-9's even are!

02audionoob
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Here's an example.. http://tinyurl.com/59m5dp

sbaldwin1
07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a pair of d-9's in as close to perfect condition as possible. My buddy bought them new and moved to arizona 3 years ago. i got them from him and put them in a heated air conditioned garage. I live in Connersville IN and i would like to sell them. My email address is sbaldwin1@email.com.

I just bought a pair of these today over the phone...pick up on Sunday....and may well have another pair from someone 100 miles from here

Anyone's thoughts on these? Price was 175.00.

Thanx

dblbassdad
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Help! My husband has wanted these FOREVER- and I finally found a pair on craigslist, but i am not sure what I am getting is the real thing-- can someone let know- if i send them pictures, if you can tell me they are worth what I am paying?!
300/pair plus shipping! I dont want to get scammed-- I have no idea what D-9's even are!
ma'am, i have a pair of d-9 speakers on craigslist for sale in nashville, tn. and i can assure you that they are the hardest bumping speakers i've ever had. i have them hooked up to a denon multi -room a/v unit. they are crisp and not very neighbor freindly! lolyou can contact me if your still in the market for these bad boys! dimensions are approximately
36" x 16" x 18" . 15" subwoofer, tunable mids, and tweeters. wood grained , i guess a oak favored still. dblbassdad@gmail.com

harley .guy07
08-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I know what you are going to say...but I bought an Onkyo EQ 35 and placed it in the signal path ....dialed down the mids....tweaked the treble ......replaced two of the tweeters that were somewhat scratchy and well now....I am listening to Sunday Morning Baroque on a local station and I have a warm fuzzy feeling all about me. I am driving four of these speakers now with an Onkyo M504, thru a P306 preamp and it all sounds great to my ear. Havent had to turn the volume past the 9 O' CLOCK position. I got my hands on a very rare Onkyo T-9090 tuner from Ebay....the guy just happened to be local.....and the sound is quite nice. My jazz collection is sax heaven.....and when I am feeling 19 again.....my rock collection seems to have new life. I refoamed all four woofers last week and I have a disco in the basement!!

I owned a pair of d-9's about 12 years ago. I ran them with a kenwood preamp and Adcom 545 mk2 amplifier. They sounded pretty bland until I found a sansui equalizer for sale and hooked it up. After taking the time to set the speakers in the right spot and equalize them to clean up the sound they sounded as could as could be expected for speakers of this type. Not the most transparent and the imaging wasn't as good as others I have owned but for rock music or anything with dynaimics they really put out clean loud sound. But I would recommend to anyone looking at buying a pair of these to also look for a good clean equalizer to run with them to tame some of the peaks and valleys that these speakers have in the audio spectrum. But I had allot of people comment on them and ended up making money on them in the end before I got some smaller more accurate Paradigms.

wainwrightma@hotmail.com
11-02-2009, 08:53 AM
yeah you got yours for 20 dollars less than what i paid 4 mine, sounds like you got a good deal! There great sounding speakers, I just got mine on halloween, and im trying to
figure out the best amp/ recevier to buy to power them. any ideas?

wainwrightma@hotmail.com
11-02-2009, 08:56 AM
can anyone tell me the right amp/recevier that is right 4 the cerwin vega! d-9 ?

JoeE SP9
11-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Just about anything will be fine with them. They are very efficient and amplifier friendly. Like any speaker the more power you have the better of you will be. An Adcom GTP-450 tuner preamp and a GFA-545 (100WPC @ 8 Ohms) power amp will cost around $400 and run circles around most if not all receivers. The Adcom gear will also work well if you decide to go with a pair of more "refined" speakers. With more refined speakers it won't be necessary to equalize them to make them sound right.:smilewinkgrin:

maddog8251961
05-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Hello fellow audio enthusiasts – I must have been really lucky to come across a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9 loudspeakers for $30 – yes that’s right $30. This lady had a garage sale and there in the corner I saw a pair of huge speakers – the cervin vega d-9s. She said they had belonged to her son that was a classical music enthusiast and he has long since moved away and has his own family. She obviously did not know what their value was – lucky for me. All they needed was the foam replaced (another $30) and they were as good as new. My wife objected to me buying them – her response was, “what do you need another set of speakers for and why did you throw away $30 to buy them?” when I proudly brought them home & told her what a great deal I got. I hooked them up to my AKAI am32 stereo amp along with a pair of small surround sound speakers to get the high/mid range sound that the Cerwin Vega’s lack (I hear others have modified their Cerwin Vega’s by replacing/adding the mid range/tweeters to fill in where the cerwin vegas lack) I did not want to do that because I wanted to keep them original – but the arrangement I have now sounds totally awesome. After my wife heard them she changed her mind and decided they weren’t so bad after all ! The D-9s are some of the best speakers I have ever heard – no other ones I know of can pump out the bass these monsters can crank out. I am very happy with them.

TheHills44060
05-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Those D9's look like animals! Great pickup...cant pass em by for only thirty bucks.