mr. woodman, your comments please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : mr. woodman, your comments please

AVMASTER
03-12-2004, 09:13 AM
what do you think of combining several mini crts' to make one large display?
i thought i had heard or read something about this, just not sure where

woodman
03-12-2004, 10:26 AM
what do you think of combining several mini crts' to make one large display?
i thought i had heard or read something about this, just not sure where

This idea has been done numerous times - in two distinctly different ways. Mitsubishi was the pioneer in using the idea to make a large video display for sports stadiums. In that application, a separate CRT was used for each pixel of the display which required a huge number of tubes! The first one they made AFAIK was for Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. They called it "DiamondVision".

The other way it's been done is to use somewhat larger CRTs to display a portion of the image. In this case, maybe a hundred or so tubes are used with each tube showing perhaps 1% of the image. This technique requires a LOT more electronic cicrcuitry to get the job done. I don't know whether or not it was Mitsu that also developed this version of the idea. I've seen it in movies, but don't recall ever seeing it in person.

AVMASTER
03-12-2004, 11:46 AM
thank you sir; i recall a customer had proposed the idea a few days ago and i summarily dismissed it as not being cost effective; anyway thanks again

woodman
03-12-2004, 12:10 PM
thank you sir; i recall a customer had proposed the idea a few days ago and i summarily dismissed it as not being cost effective; anyway thanks again

Indeed! In fact, that qualifies as the understatement of the decade. In addition, performing such a feat would require engineering talent beyond the scope of any individual. It most certainly would be beyond the capabilities of any consumer and/or his favorite electronic servicer, that's for sure. To further add "insult to the injury", the final result would most likely be inferior to what can be achieved with a good front projector!

So, you told your customer da troot!

plextor guy
03-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Gamers and graphic artists have been doing this for quite a while. Do a google search using 'multiple monitors'. Why anyone would want to do this in a hometheater app is beyond me unless your customer is trying to make use of pre-existing equipment.