Onkyo tower speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo tower speakers

stevareno
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Anyone have any experience with Onkyo speakers. I have a line on a pair.....40 inches high by 16 wide....3 way it looks like......guy only wants 10 bucks.....they need re-foaming of course....

I was curious as I have never heard a set before. I have no model number....but they look great in picture.

Thanks to anyone for some input!

markw
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
When talking about great speakers, I've never heard Onkyo mentioned.

RoadRunner6
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
FYI: Many Japanese audio/video companies produce product lines that never see the light of day in the US or other western countries. Presently or in the past there have been numerous fine speakers produced in Japan. Sony has made some high end models, only a few that ever reached our shores.

Onkyo has made some rather expensive/high quality horn systems in the past. Here is a 12" sub in one of their current series (obviously not high end but very good quality) that runs about $1500 US and a tower speaker that costs about the same.

http://www2.jp.onkyo.com/product/products.nsf/view/CDE80C2C321CD5964925719500369CFC?OpenDocument

http://www2.jp.onkyo.com/product/products.nsf/view/6F95CD00CE015F6049257195002F7430?OpenDocument

The speaker in question could be from a HTIB or possibly an older speaker that found its way across the seas. Couldn't even give a guess whether it is worth zero or more unless more info or photos.

RR6

(my Japanese wife made me write this post! :biggrin5: )

stevareno
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Well I just got an email and the cat sold the damn things while I was at work...I went back to snag the picture of these things and he removed the ad...but I can tell you the def were not HTIB speakers......40 inches tall.....by 16 by something....3 way....very light real wood cabs....never seen them...probably just missed the deal of the fall...

BUT....I have a line on not one but two pair of Cerwin Vega D-9's.......I would bet these things would rock out of my Onkyo M504's......both sets in two diff locations....both original owners with receipts......one 100 miles south and one 60 miles north.....
Sounds like a road trip!!!

And thank your wife for the nice response!!......LOL

markw
10-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Sometimes, you have to be willing to take a risk. If the price is low enough, you weigh the potential benefits of what you would win against what you would have lost had you not tried.

In this case, $10 was the asking price for this gamble. You might want to get a rough idea on what refoaming speakers costs before this situation pops up again and figure that into your equation.

I buy records for a buck a pop and some are winners and some are losers. That's the chance I take but, on the whole, I wind up with enough winners to be able to sustain the losses without grumbling.

PDN
10-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Stevareno: Consider yourself lucky you didn't buy them for even $10.00. For 10 bucks, they could not possibly even be worth refoaming. You get what you pay for in this world. I would stick with speaker brands you're familiar with and more specifically, manufacturers that make only loudspeakers (i.e. B&W, NHT, PSB, KEF, Mordaunt-Short, Energy, etc).

stevareno
10-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanx PDN!! I'll take a pair of each!!
I am playing locally looking for some speakers to put with an Onkyo P-306RS and an Onkyo M504. I have a pair of Advent Heritage and some Cerwin Vega D-9'S coming. I don't know what it is but the Advents are sounding very muted for some reason. No openess, nothing airy about them. I am picking up the CW's tommorrow. If I like them a second pair is coming in from Lexington next week. If I don't I will turn them and start over!

PDN
10-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Good luck with the Cerwin Vega D09's. How old isi the pr you're buying? I don't know anything about Cerwin Vega but from a brief internet search, the D9's look like they can blow it out!! Great specs and a full 3 way loudspeaker. What are C-V's known for? More full blown rock and roll it appears to me with their large drivers.

stevareno
10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
These are from 1987....inspected on Oct 14...so about to have their 21st birthday on Tuesday.....ballsy to say the least.....I have them hooked up to my HK PM-660 right now and yes...they are the ultimate party beast....15 inch subs 300 watt capable.....I first ran some Boston thru them and it was earth shattering...highs seem a bit harsh....but the mids are pure silk. I am listening to some sax laden jazz at the moment and its like Klaus is standing in the room! I am going to withhold total judgement for today, as tommorrow my new Onkyo M-504 arrives and in a few days my Onkyo P-306RS will be here. Hopefully next weekend I am off to Lexington for a second pair of these babies. They are bigger than the mini fridge I have down here!! BUT..I fit them into a 1990 Celica hatchback...BARELY!

stevareno
10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Addendum......I just threw on Metallica's Black album and Lars' bass drum scattered quail in the woods outside!!!!