2 Quick Questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick Questions

bklyn1028
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
1. Which (I guess the owners will know) receiver has a good OSD. Meaning not just for set-up, as I have read that the Pioneer 1018 has. I know Sony, and Denon have, but what about HK 254/354, and how good is Sony's and Denon's?
2. When I get one of these receivers, everything will be hooked up via HDMI:
PS3, cable box, Oppo, therefore if everything is HDMI in to the receiver, and out to the display, would there be any upscaling/converting? The TV is a Sony KDS R70XBR2 1080p.
Thanks

L.J.
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
1. Depends on how high you go up the food chain. I don't think lower end models offer any fancy GUI or anything, if that's what your referring too. I have Yammie, Denon & Onkyo....The GUI on my 2700 is pretty and all but I can still accomplish the same thing with my other 2.

2. No, should pass straight through or have the option to turn scaling off. Be careful with HK though....I was reading on one of their models about a year ago that didn't allow the scaling to be turned off & had LFE issues with audio via HDMI. The 247/347 or something like that. Personally, I wouldn't touch a HK. I've just read too many problems with them over the years.

pixelthis
10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
1. Depends on how high you go up the food chain. I don't think lower end models offer any fancy GUI or anything, if that's what your referring too. I have Yammie, Denon & Onkyo....The GUI on my 2700 is pretty and all but I can still accomplish the same thing with my other 2.

2. No, should pass straight through or have the option to turn scaling off. Be careful with HK though....I was reading on one of their models about a year ago that didn't allow the scaling to be turned off & had LFE issues with audio via HDMI. The 247/347 or something like that. Personally, I wouldn't touch a HK. I've just read too many problems with them over the years.

They had big problems for awhile when they first started Chinese
production.
Not so bad now, now they are mostly mediocre, with a "fake" aluminum
plastic front, etc.
Wouldn't own one either, and its sad when you think of what they used to be.:1:

bklyn1028
10-11-2008, 07:37 AM
They had big problems for awhile when they first started Chinese
production.
Not so bad now, now they are mostly mediocre, with a "fake" aluminum
plastic front, etc.
Wouldn't own one either, and its sad when you think of what they used to be.:1:
Was at BB yesterday, my wife was in awe of "Transformers" in blu ray, but the sound was incredible, everything was sooooooo...distinct...everything. Was a Pioneer Elite receiver, which I have been looking at. My question if anyone knows, are the Pioneer elite's that much better than say the 1018, like are Sony's ES better than the STR920?

blackraven
10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Buy an Onkyo or Denon 3000 series receiver. They are better than what you are looking at!

bklyn1028
10-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Buy an Onkyo or Denon 3000 series receiver. They are better than what you are looking at!
I don't know if I wanna spend that much on a receiver. I have a yamaha 5150 for about 7 or 8 yrs now, and it plays flawlessly, it's not that I have nothing, hate to replace it, but then I can't get the new audio codecs on bluray. Then I say, if I spend a little more I can get a GUI, but then I say, is the GUI worth it?...I am sooo screwed up at this point. But your right about the Denon, most that have em, love em. Same with Pioneer, but not the same for onkyo, Hk, Sony.....

L.J.
10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't know if I wanna spend that much on a receiver. I have a yamaha 5150 for about 7 or 8 yrs now, and it plays flawlessly, it's not that I have nothing, hate to replace it, but then I can't get the new audio codecs on bluray. Then I say, if I spend a little more I can get a GUI, but then I say, is the GUI worth it?...I am sooo screwed up at this point. But your right about the Denon, most that have em, love em. Same with Pioneer, but not the same for onkyo, Hk, Sony.....

I'd be looking at Onkyo first. Onkyo has been offering some serious bang with there low end models. Yammie has some decent low end models as well. I really can't comment on the Pioneers though.

Last year I upgraded from a Denon 2805 to a Yamaha 2700. I auditioned about 5 different AVR's before going with Yamaha. Elite, Onkyo, Denon & 2 different Yammies. Sometimes you gotta just go out there and see for yourself. Your gonna find a lot of fanboys swearing on a lot of names if you keep asking what's the best. I think the guys here are pretty neutral though and will lead you in the right direction.

Personally, if I had a budget of say $500, I'd look at Onkyo first and maybe Yamaha. If I had a budget of $1000 or more, I'd look at alot more models before purchasing, because I know I'm gonna be stuck with it for a long time.

The GUI is nice and all but how often you gonna use it. Once you do your initial setup, that should be it. You'd maybe go in and tweak something sometimes but it's not gonna be used on a regular basis. And don't forget that most models offer auto setup feature which will do most of the work for you.

I'd be more interesting in auto setup/room correction, # of HDMI inputs, flexibility(preouts,7.1 analog in), tweak ability, SQ......before worrying what the setup menu looks like.

bklyn1028
10-11-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd be looking at Onkyo first. Onkyo has been offering some serious bang with there low end models. Yammie has some decent low end models as well. I really can't comment on the Pioneers though.

Last year I upgraded from a Denon 2805 to a Yamaha 2700. I auditioned about 5 different AVR's before going with Yamaha. Elite, Onkyo, Denon & 2 different Yammies. Sometimes you gotta just go out there and see for yourself. Your gonna find a lot of fanboys swearing on a lot of names if you keep asking what's the best. I think the guys here are pretty neutral though and will lead you in the right direction.

Personally, if I had a budget of say $500, I'd look at Onkyo first and maybe Yamaha. If I had a budget of $1000 or more, I'd look at alot more models before purchasing, because I know I'm gonna be stuck with it for a long time.

The GUI is nice and all but how often you gonna use it. Once you do your initial setup, that should be it. You'd maybe go in and tweak something sometimes but it's not gonna be used on a regular basis. And don't forget that most models offer auto setup feature which will do most of the work for you.

I'd be more interesting in auto setup/room correction, # of HDMI inputs, flexibility(preouts,7.1 analog in), tweak ability, SQ......before worrying what the setup menu looks like.
After BestBuy yesterday, i'm leaning towards Pioneer......seems I have been for a while now, I think a lot has to do with the USB input, which is a nice + (to put in a flash drive with music once in a while). The sound was incredible. And like someone once said, if you heard it, liked it..........buy it.....You're right about the GUI, how often will you use it. My dilemma now is......is the Pioneer Elite worth the extra cheese over the VSX1018?...Any input on that would be nice.
thanks
joe

L.J.
10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
After BestBuy yesterday, i'm leaning towards Pioneer......seems I have been for a while now, I think a lot has to do with the USB input, which is a nice + (to put in a flash drive with music once in a while). The sound was incredible. And like someone once said, if you heard it, liked it..........buy it.....You're right about the GUI, how often will you use it. My dilemma now is......is the Pioneer Elite worth the extra cheese over the VSX1018?...Any input on that would be nice.
thanks
joe

You know, I don't think I've used the USB on my 2700. You know you can stream music wirelessly from your PC with the PS3 right :yesnod:

I'm not sure on the Pioneers. Truth is, I haven't really kept up with the name and the Elite I did audition last year gave me immediate HDMI handshake issues. My understanding is that Elite offers higher quality parts & better build quality. This is supposed to result in better sound/performance. Kinda like Onkyo vs Integra or Sony's ES line.

I'd suggest you spend some time with both units and go from there. If the USB thing isn't a must have, Onkyo is probably gonna give you the best for your money at the $400 - $700 price point. I'm not trying to push Onkyo on you, I just auditioned their gear and therefore giving my opinion on it.

Anyways, you need to stop asking questions and get out there and start looking at some stuff. Your gonna stress yourself out :biggrin5:

bklyn1028
10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
You know, I don't think I've used the USB on my 2700. You know you can stream music wirelessly from your PC with the PS3 right

When I got the ps3 couple yrs ago, was when NO ONE had em, them a guy in BEst Buy just got one in, and my wife grabbed it. It's the lower end, no wireless.....no biggie..and your're right, music isn't really my thing, it's movies.....

pixelthis
10-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Was at BB yesterday, my wife was in awe of "Transformers" in blu ray, but the sound was incredible, everything was sooooooo...distinct...everything. Was a Pioneer Elite receiver, which I have been looking at. My question if anyone knows, are the Pioneer elite's that much better than say the 1018, like are Sony's ES better than the STR920?

There was a "sellout" to the mass market by these brands a few decades back, which accelerated during the crash of 87.
A HIGHER LINE is a way of trying to get some "street cred" back
as a true hi-fi product, but few buy into it.
Think of cars, an acura is really a Honda, etc.
I bought one of these, an Integra, the "higher" line version of Onkyo.
Cosmetics are a little better, a few extra features, better Q also,
and not much more in price.
Not the case for the elites, which are way more.
Also the higher line Sony is teh only decent receiver they put out.
"Mainstream" Sonys are a joke, basically.
I know that from personal experience.
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.:1:

bklyn1028
10-18-2008, 12:15 PM
well, I narrowed it down to Denon....either the 1909 or 2809...the "Dynamic Volume" did it for me.........not sure if the 2809 is worth $500 more for different DAC's....are Burr-Brown worth it?
ok..did it....just ordered the 1909....