Page load times - Issue? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Page load times - Issue?

atomicAdam
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Who is having load time issues with audioreview.com or forums.audioreview.com?

If things are taking abnormally long, please let me know.

Also include your connection type.

Thanks
-adam

Rich-n-Texas
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
You can start here Adam:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=28251

Pay no attention to that Woochifer character. He's always been a non-conformist anyway. :D

Rich-n-Texas
10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Here's an I.E. error I just got. This is a Windows Attention dialog, and it popped up after I clicked the bread crumb link above the index.

Line: 1185
Char: 5
Error: 'PostsArray' is undefined
Code: 0
URL: http://forums.audioreview.com/index/php

I run WinXP SP3.

A little help?

atomicAdam
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
yes - i saw that thread -

i was wondering if more recently.

because for me - here at the office - the site load fine - on IE or FF. and the server is off somewhere else.

i've also started to pull numbers on alertsite.com to see what is up, and the numbers look fine.

i do know - that - depending where you are - sometimes the ads may take longer to load. but from my end, and this is why i post the thread - i don't see anything wrong at the moment. not only that, the AR forums are in the same condition as any of the other consumerreview.com forums, and there hasn't been much complaint about load times on those.

so...

maybe - if ppl are having load times

please let me know, state your connection type, and what state you are in - i can try to get alertsite to test AR from your state, though that doesn't mean it will be on the same network.

thanks
-adam

Groundbeef
12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
I've had several issues with page load times. Lots of times at work the ad on the top will load, and then a "done" prompt appears in the lower left corner, and nothing else loads.

I sometimes have to reload the page several times before it loads the entire page.

Interestingly enough the "Main" page almost always loads 100% and fairly quickly. The trouble begins when getting into a sub-category.

I am no a T1 broadband connection with the state of IL. Don't have much problem with other sites, but this one gives me fits.

Not sure what else to tell you.

bobsticks
12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, in "Medium High" security mode the Cambrideg Soundworks ad really gums up the works. Switchin' it to "High" and the problem is resolved.

Lotta SPAM 'round these parts for a Sunday though.

JohnMichael
12-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Lotta SPAM 'round these parts for a Sunday though.

Yes and I just deleted some new spam.

bobsticks
12-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes and I just deleted some new spam.

As always, we are indebted to you, sir.

Thanks for servicing us...er, thanks for the service...uumm

Thanks for doin' what you do :D

JohnMichael
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
As always, we are indebted to you, sir.

Thanks for servicing us...er, thanks for the service...uumm

Thanks for doin' what you do :D

Anything I can do since I am running for mayor and I do not have the ready cash to be a senator in Illinois.

bobsticks
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Anything I can do since I am running for mayor and I do not have the ready cash to be a senator in Illinois.

Kewl! Anything I can do to help...any positions available like "Minister of Bluesy Propaganda" or "Music Czar"?

Groundbeef
12-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Kewl! Anything I can do to help...any positions available like "Minister of Bluesy Propaganda" or "Music Czar"?

No, Sticks, those are not available. However, you can be the "Creepy Avatar Czar". Has a nice ring to it no?

And on a serious note, what did you mean about the Cambridge ad? Is there some way to speed up page loading?

nightflier
12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
It seems that for every pop and flash blocker I install, this site is the first to find a way around them. I know you need to pay the heating bill, but for cryin' out loud, don't you need your audience here to see the $%$#@ ads? Stick to static ads, and we'll tollerate them, and maybe even click on them. But if you try to circumvent our computer's virus and spam filters, then that drives us away. I never even check this site from home anymore (DSL connection) because it's just too damn slow.

Auricauricle
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
How about "Mister Administer Minister", 'Sticky, Old Man?

Rich-n-Texas
12-22-2008, 05:37 PM
It seems that for every pop and flash blocker I install, this site is the first to find a way around them. I know you need to pay the heating bill, but for cryin' out loud, don't you need your audience here to see the $%$#@ ads? Stick to static ads, and we'll tollerate them, and maybe even click on them. But if you try to circumvent our computer's virus and spam filters, then that drives us away. I never even check this site from home anymore (DSL connection) because it's just too damn slow.
Has anyone noticed how old this thread is? Is everyone aware that NOTHING has changed since October?

:cryin:

Does anyone know... the true meaning of Christmas? :mad2:

bobsticks
12-22-2008, 06:36 PM
And on a serious note, what did you mean about the Cambridge ad? Is there some way to speed up page loading?

Ja. For general browsing switch your security settings (via the "Tools" icon) to "High". You won't be able to see the embeded YouTube players that folks often put in the threads, nor will you be able to use the italics or smiley functiond when posting but it fantastic for reading and speed-posting.

(If you want to see the players or use the aformentioned graphics options, just click back to "Medium" security and refresh the page)

...and that's Sir Creepy-A to you.

Groundbeef
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Followed your advice Sticks! Works great creepy boy!

nightflier
01-03-2009, 11:36 PM
By the way, I just installed a new corporate firewall system, and it's about as thorough as any system I've ever used. Anyhow, while I'm on this site, the thing is blinking like a x-mas tree. Now I know 'tis, the season, but maybe the aggressive marketing shenanigans could be toned down a tad? Some of the stuff that's being filtered behind the scenes is really stretching my tollerance for what a site like this should be querying about who I am and my browsing habits.

bobsticks
01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
By the way, I just installed a new corporate firewall system, and it's about as thorough as any system I've ever used. Anyhow, while I'm on this site, the thing is blinking like a x-mas tree. Now I know 'tis, the season, but maybe the aggressive marketing shenanigans could be toned down a tad? Some of the stuff that's being filtered behind the scenes is really stretching my tollerance for what a site like this should be querying about who I am and my browsing habits.

Fortunately most of the new programs will "set rules", meaning after an intitial annoying start-up period you should see smooth sailing.Just keep denying the extemporaneous querries leaving only "www,audioreview.com" as permissible.

The Linnux-based newer editions seem to be the easiest ones around which to maneuver.

Rich-n-Texas
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
So in other words, to improve page load times here on this site we should all upgrade our firewalls? Or switch to a Linux OS?

bobsticks
01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
So in other words, to improve page load times here on this site we should all upgrade our firewalls? Or switch to a Linux OS?

I get where yer goin' with this..."Why should we have to change our shiznit...?". I was merely pointing out to 'Flier that the initial pain in the ass set-up is not a forever thing. Further, the Security Suite is Linux-based, not the entire operating system.

...but I'm readin' yer mail, eh.

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
This is what annoys me sticks. It looks to me like ConsumerReview.com is/was allowing ads from non-A/V advertisers here. That on top of the pre-historic s/w that is audioreview.com makes this site dog slow. And like I said, NOTHING has changed for the better. The only changes I saw were a broken link for reporting bad posts, and the link for posting picks in the Gallery which dissappeared for a while.

Sorry Adam, but I've yet to see any improvement AT ALL here. What has been complained about for years still exists, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the average newbie doesn't need to waste his time waiting for ads to load when he can get much faster load times on forums like AVS, HomeTheaterShack, Audioholics... etc. Just my opinion though.

nightflier
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Rich,

Just upgrade to Linux already. After a month on Linux, you'll never look back. Trust me.

(And for someone who's been knocking on the libertarian door, it's a wonder you're not sporting the penguin already).

Rich-n-Texas
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Unlike you, Wooch, Kex and a few others flyboy, I conform to what has been accepted by society, and that is the MS Windows experience. :biggrin5:

Isn't a libertarian someone who doesn't eat meat? I EAT meat okay?

nightflier
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Whoah! Tex is a conformist?!?

Rich-n-Texas
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
That's correct. Whether I like it or not. :yesnod: