Blue Ray Players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ray Players

Shaku
10-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Which is the best unit to go with? I was thinking of a Kuro BDP51FD made by Pioneer.

L.J.
10-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Depends on what kinda AVR you got(I'm assuming you have one). That Pioneer doesn't have internal DTSMA decoding but it can bitstream. You gotta 1.3 AVR? How much you plan on paying for this player?

Mr Peabody
10-08-2008, 05:39 PM
L.J. is right, it depends on how you plan to use it, connected to just a TV, plan to use multi-channel analog into an older A/V receiver (internal decoding will be very important in this case), or HDMI all the way, internet/interactive features important, how much do you care about upscaling of standard DVD ( narrows the field down a great deal since only a hand full will offer separate chips for SD and HD), etc.??

You can go from a $299.00 Sony to $2k Marantz. I hear Pioneer is good but haven't seen one. Also heard they are hard to get your hands on. I think the new Marantz that will be around $749.00 or the top of the line Samsung with the Silicon Optics chip set will both be a good middle of the road.

Still can't go wrong with the PS3 either.

RoadRunner6
10-09-2008, 12:19 AM
You might want to consider the new Panasonics, DMP-BD35 ($299 or less) or the DMP-BD55 ($399 or less) to be released later this month. Go for the 35 if you have an HDMI receiver or the 55 if you have an older receiver and need the 5.1 or 7.1 analog connections.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/bluray/2991/panasonic-dmp-bd55-blu-ray-disc-player

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Panasonic_DMP-BD55_DMP-BD55K_Blu-ray_Player.shtml

If you can be patient for several months or so you might want to wait for the much anticipated OPPO BDP-83.

RR6 :)

natronforever
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I was just in Costco today and I saw a Phillips Blu Ray player for $250. I'm not sure if it decodes DTSMA, but I noticed it had 5.1 channel RCA outputs, which is awesome for that price point.

chesty
10-10-2008, 07:25 AM
saw one of the Pioneers demo'ed - it's exceptionally fast...which apparently Pioneer is listening to people *****ing about load times. They aren't supporting BD-Live (which is probably also listening to their audience). $500-600.

Mr Peabody
10-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Thank you, I personally think BD live is a waste. I wonder how many people would be interested and of those how many would have networks in their home. I guess networks may not be so scarce with all the laptops. I rarely even access the bonus material on a disc. I've done it before to see what it was all about. The Pictuer-in-a-Picture is another funny feature, like I want to be trying to watch a movie and some clown talling about how he made the sceen at the same time. PIP is an expensive feature because you have to have a separate video path for the extra picture.

Early reviews on the Panasonic DMP-35 & 55 show they are fast as well. So speed is one hurdle that seems to be getting worked out.

Feanor
10-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Thank you, I personally think BD live is a waste. I wonder how many people would be interested and of those how many would have networks in their home. I guess networks may not be so scarce with all the laptops. ...

Uhmmm ... no. See my post (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=258102#post258102).

pixelthis
10-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Thank you, I personally think BD live is a waste. I wonder how many people would be interested and of those how many would have networks in their home. I guess networks may not be so scarce with all the laptops. I rarely even access the bonus material on a disc. I've done it before to see what it was all about. The Pictuer-in-a-Picture is another funny feature, like I want to be trying to watch a movie and some clown talling about how he made the sceen at the same time. PIP is an expensive feature because you have to have a separate video path for the extra picture.

Early reviews on the Panasonic DMP-35 & 55 show they are fast as well. So speed is one hurdle that seems to be getting worked out.

Speed is not a prob with me.
I just hit the open button and its open when I come back, put the disc in early and its ready when I am.
Its just a simple matter of leaving the thing alone while its "loading".
Remember some DVD players take awhile to load.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-13-2008, 04:41 AM
Savage image you attached there pix. I don't think PETA would appreciate it much.

pixelthis
10-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Savage image you attached there pix. I don't think PETA would appreciate it much.

Its "beating a dead horse" in case you didnt get it.
AND I will have you know that a primary spokesperson for PETA
approves(see below).
Not that I care what a bunch of protien deficient geeks think.:1:

Mr Peabody
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Look when a group is protesting for a manufacturer to use breast milk in ice cream, said group, PETA, has clearly LOST THEIR FRIGGIN MIND, IF THEY HAD ONE TO BEGIN WITH!

bobsticks
10-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Look when a group is protesting for a manufacturer to use breast milk in ice cream, said group, PETA, has clearly LOST THEIR FRIGGIN MIND, IF THEY HAD ONE TO BEGIN WITH!

Beware the world according to PETA...I can just imagine entering a Ben & Jerry's plant only to find the braindrain scene from The Matrix except that it's millions of breats hooked up to millions of pumps, soulessly pumpin' out the lactation...

...what a bunch of psychotic idiots.

Mr Peabody
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey! where can I get a job application??!

pixelthis
10-15-2008, 12:25 AM

HERES A savage pic for ya old sod:1:

winston
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
hio guys got a question for you guys as you all on line at this time. panasonic DMP30 & 50 and sony 35 can they do the job.the 30 and 35 mention can be had for about $250 give or take i do like panasonic i have the DVD-S97 it holds up ok, hope to hear from some of you guys. regards......... winston

Mr Peabody
10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
You would have to compare the feature list, if the earlier models have everything you need they will work fine. Most of the upgrade is in BD live or HD audio decoding.

winston
10-18-2008, 06:55 AM
You would have to compare the feature list, if the earlier models have everything you need they will work fine. Most of the upgrade is in BD live or HD audio decoding.
thanks mr. pae. as i do not fancy them upgrades anyway (BD live or HD) can i ask about the 5.1 or 7.1 most of the new BR players dont have the analog rca jacks option? would you say the HDMI is a better way to go for music & DVD. (NOT AUDIOPHILE STEREO) as i dont want to start a WAR.....smile :18: rgds winston

Mr Peabody
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
HDMI carries both audio and video. It's definitely more convenient and far less connections HDMI also gives you the option of doing both bitstream or PCM. As much as I can't stand the way HDMI was handled in bringing it to market, it is going to be more of a standard than any of the other connections. If you have a receiver that will accept HDMI then I wouldn't even worry about MC analog outputs. If your receiver will decode the HD audio tracks (Dolby Tru-HD/DTS-MA) then you just need to be sure the player will output those via bitstream. If your receiver doesn't have those decoders then get them in your player and just be sure your receiver will accept the PCM signal. My processor will decode the bitstream but I let the player do the decoding and send my processor PCM. This way if I want to use uncompressed PCM from a BR disc I don't have to keep going into the menu and switching back and forth.

Which receiver do you have?

winston
10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
HDMI carries both audio and video. It's definitely more convenient and far less connections HDMI also gives you the option of doing both bitstream or PCM. As much as I can't stand the way HDMI was handled in bringing it to market, it is going to be more of a standard than any of the other connections. If you have a receiver that will accept HDMI then I wouldn't even worry about MC analog outputs. If your receiver will decode the HD audio tracks (Dolby Tru-HD/DTS-MA) then you just need to be sure the player will output those via bitstream. If your receiver doesn't have those decoders then get them in your player and just be sure your receiver will accept the PCM signal. My processor will decode the bitstream but I let the player do the decoding and send my processor PCM. This way if I want to use uncompressed PCM from a BR disc I don't have to keep going into the menu and switching back and forth.

Which receiver do you have?
thanks again i have been schooled, i have the poineer elite VSX-72TXV receiver that i used as my processer, (i have three pcs of acurus old like myself) i used the A150 to drive a pair of infinity BETA 50 up front and the 100X3 for the BETA 20 rears and the BETA 350 center.the ACT3 processor is boxed up some place,let me hear from you when you pass this way. regards winston.

Mr Peabody
10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I tried to find some info on your receiver but didn't come up with much. I saw it has HDMI but couldn't find any deeper features, so you will have to hook up a BR player and see what happens. You should check your manual to see if your receiver is HDCP (copy protection) compliant. If it isn't there could be hand shake issues with newer HDMI units. So if you don't find an answer you might want to check with Pioneer, or if you decide to buy a BR player with out MC analog outputs, maybe get it from one of the stores that allows a 30 day return.

Is your receiver before they started using the digital amps? Just out of curiosity did you try the internal amp? If so, what did you think? I'm sure it wasn't up to Acurus but I wondered how it might compare to other receivers.

frenchmon
10-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Speed is not a prob with me.
I just hit the open button and its open when I come back, put the disc in early and its ready when I am.
Its just a simple matter of leaving the thing alone while its "loading".
Remember some DVD players take awhile to load.:1:

I don't worry about speed either....My SACD player loads slowly....but the music it produces is transparent.

frenchmon

frenchmon
10-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Its "beating a dead horse" in case you didnt get it.
AND I will have you know that a primary spokesperson for PETA
approves(see below).
Not that I care what a bunch of protien deficient geeks think.:1:

Ha! I thought you where trying to show your disaproval of the democratic party.

You know Donkey Versus the Elophant.

frenchmon

winston
10-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I tried to find some info on your receiver but didn't come up with much. I saw it has HDMI but couldn't find any deeper features, so you will have to hook up a BR player and see what happens. You should check your manual to see if your receiver is HDCP (copy protection) compliant. If it isn't there could be hand shake issues with newer HDMI units. So if you don't find an answer you might want to check with Pioneer, or if you decide to buy a BR player with out MC analog outputs, maybe get it from one of the stores that allows a 30 day return.

Is your receiver before they started using the digital amps? Just out of curiosity did you try the internal amp? If so, what did you think? I'm sure it wasn't up to Acurus but I wondered how it might compare to other receivers.
thanks again mr pae.yes its the digital amps, it should be 130- wats x 7 and its HDCP -compatible, it even can do the full menu for IPOD & XM radio when connected to them, i found the cables for the IPOD & XM radio when i was checking out the manual. it was mfd 07/208 two models elite (VSX-72TXV ) and VSX-74TXVI this model has the I,LINK and USB interface. down here in miami fl today i can get the panasonic DMP-BD30 for 250 +
tax ? the 35 is at vanns for about $290 no tax/shipping.
your opinion plz. :12:

L.J.
10-19-2008, 01:18 PM
thanks again mr pae.yes its the digital amps, it should be 130- wats x 7 and its HDCP -compatible, it even can do the full menu for IPOD & XM radio when connected to them, i found the cables for the IPOD & XM radio when i was checking out the manual. it was mfd 07/208 two models elite (VSX-72TXV ) and VSX-74TXVI this model has the I,LINK and USB interface. down here in miami fl today i can get the panasonic DMP-BD30 for 250 +
tax ? the 35 is at vanns for about $290 no tax/shipping.
your opinion plz. :12:

I would avoid the BD30 since it does not have internal decoding for HD audio formats. It can only bitstream. You would need a HDMI v1.3 AVR to take advantage of that.

If your AVR is HDMI v1.1 & can handle multi channel PCM via HDMI, you can use a PS3 or any other HDMI player that has decoding for all HD audio.

Also, any player with full decoding & 5.1 analog out will be fine for HD audio.

RoadRunner6
10-19-2008, 01:41 PM
the 35 is at vanns for about $290 no tax/shipping.

That model 35 has just hit the market, the price should drop quickly in the next few weeks or month before Christmas. There is a review of the new model 55 (mostly the same unit with decoding you don't need but same video and audio peformance) in the new issue of Sound and Vision magazine on the newstands ("highly recommended").

RR6

Mr Peabody
10-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's the DMP-30:
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/players.php?id=5&show=specs

The DMP-30 will bitstream Tru-HD & DTS-MA, if your receiver will decode these then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you.

Bluray.com don't have specs on the 35 yet but here's some info:
http://www.productwiki.com/panasonic-dmp-bd35/

The 35 offers the internal decoding as well as bitstream of Tru-HD & DTS-MA. It also has the BD Live which I believe you said wasn't of interest.

RoadRunner6
10-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Here is some info on the BD35 and BD55. See link at bottom for pdf spec sheet. The new models are definitely thinner and look much different. Apparently there have been some video performance improvements.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/printer_Panasonic_Unveils_DMP-BD35_DMP-BD55_A_First_Look_at_the_New_BD-Live_Blu-ray_Players.shtml

RR6

zepman1
10-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Check out the Sony BDP-S550. I just ordered one myself. It can be had online for $299 with free shipping at Pricegrabber, which is an absolute steal.

Profile 2.0
Decodes True HD and DTS-Master internally and via bitstream
7.1 analog output
Ethernet port

There isn't a player out there with these features under $400. You are covered for all scenarios, and the Sony's have a good reputation for their bluray players.

The Panasonics are also a real solid option, but are either more expensive or don't have all these features.

L.J.
10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Check out the Sony BDP-S550. I just ordered one myself. It can be had online for $299 with free shipping at Pricegrabber, which is an absolute steal.

Profile 2.0
Decodes True HD and DTS-Master internally and via bitstream
7.1 analog output
Ethernet port

There isn't a player out there with these features under $400. You are covered for all scenarios, and the Sony's have a good reputation for their bluray players.

The Panasonics are also a real solid option, but are either more expensive or don't have all these features.

Let us know what you think when your all hooked up. That's a very decent price for a fully loaded player.

zepman1
10-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Let us know what you think when your all hooked up. That's a very decent price for a fully loaded player.

I will. I think I will be very happy with this one when it comes (hopefully by Friday - no tracking info available yet). Especially excited to hear the new audio formats compared to DD and DTS. Not sure how much better the picture will be, since my TV is 720p. But, I am hopeful it will be a bit better than cable HD channels.

Eventually I will have my home theater finished with a 1080p front projector, and that will be sweet.

RoadRunner6
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
When I tested my new plasma 768p with Blu Ray the diff between broadcast HD and Blu Ray was significant (that was with 5 star rated video movies). You will not want to go back to watching TV.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the Sony for $299? I saw 299 this morning at Nerds but now it is gone, they must be out of stock and they had about $25 shipping. Now the lowest I see is $307.

Let us know what you think of the Sony.

RR6

zepman1
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I saw $299 earlier today at Nerds. That price 1st appeared this morning, and is already gone? Wow.

I actually bought mine for $306 at Techonweb.com which I found through pricegrabber. Shipping was free with that site. I thought that was a steal considering almost everyone has it for $399 online in in-store. I would have had a tough choice between the Panasonic BD35 ($280 at circuit city) and the Sony if I had to pay $400 for the Sony. But since I didn't, I can have my cake and eat it too, I guess.

It looks the place I bought it from may be temporarily sold out already. Not suprised at that price. In fact it was selling cheaper than the S350 and S300 which leads me to believe it was a mistake.

Yeah, I know that cable HD signals are compressed quite a bit, and a far cry from "true" HD bliss. I think I am just trying not to set my hopes too high for Bluray and be disappointed! All this talk about lossless audio and 1080p video has me giddy with anticipation. UPS better have their act together with a quick delivery...

winston
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I would avoid the BD30 since it does not have internal decoding for HD audio formats. It can only bitstream. You would need a HDMI v1.3 AVR to take advantage of that.

If your AVR is HDMI v1.1 & can handle multi channel PCM via HDMI, you can use a PS3 or any other HDMI player that has decoding for all HD audio.

Also, any player with full decoding & 5.1 analog out will be fine for HD audio.
thanks L.J. for the up date no the BD30. my AVR is the first gen. HDMI i will look at some BR'S and be back to pick you guys brain. (sony PS3/BD35/
winston

hdmmi

winston
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Here's the DMP-30:
http://www.blu-ray.com/players/players.php?id=5&show=specs

The DMP-30 will bitstream Tru-HD & DTS-MA, if your receiver will decode these then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you.

Bluray.com don't have specs on the 35 yet but here's some info:
http://www.productwiki.com/panasonic-dmp-bd35/

The 35 offers the internal decoding as well as bitstream of Tru-HD & DTS-MA. It also has the BD Live which I believe you said wasn't of interest.
hey mr pae.never read your post yesterday thanks for the effort i looked at the blue-ray site posted prices are falling. i try a 30 return. from BRANDS MART USA down here in mia. :sleep: :sleep:

Mr Peabody
10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow, a s550 for $306.00 and free shipping, now that's a deal. The 300 and 350 will be on shelf forever if this type of price keeps up, unless they drop to the basement.

zepman1
10-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Wow, a s550 for $306.00 and free shipping, now that's a deal. The 300 and 350 will be on shelf forever if this type of price keeps up, unless they drop to the basement.

Yeah, and now it is so well priced that it is sold out and backordered. Guess I will be waiting a while to check out my new Bluray. Hopefully this isn't where they try to weasel out of the sale....

winston
10-24-2008, 06:38 PM
well mr. pea. i too found that deal in the wee hours this morning at TECHONWEB.COM THROUGH PR/GRABBER for $306.72 no tax free shipping. (is that a good apple) as i went to brands mart down in my hoods here, and they wanted $275.00 include tax for the PANNY BD30 so i take a rain check on it. hopefully MY SONY BDP-550 WILL ARRIVEING NEXT WEEKEND. "quoteing zapman" if they dont weasel out of this sale i will be seen the big picture soon. anticipation .

Mr Peabody
10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I hope it works out for you guys, that's a great deal.

Amazon is running a new buy 2 get 1 free sale on BR movies. They also have several titles for $13 & 14.95 including I Am Legend. Might want to get a couple on the way for the big debut.

dax
10-27-2008, 05:46 AM
I just purchased a Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV at Best Buy. With the purchase of a Sharp HDTV, you get $100 off any Blu-Ray player. All they had in stock at the store was the Sony 350 model, which would have cost me $199. However, I need the 7.1 analog output due to my older receiver. Salesman looked it up and said he could get me the Sony 550 model for $299 and it'll be here on Friday. I pick up the TV on Wednesday. Can't wait for the weekend...

zepman1
10-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Techonweb received their shipment of Sony 550's and it got sent to me last week. I missed the delivery on Friday, and it was signature required, so I will be picking it up today from the FedEx terminal. Should be able to give it a go tonight...

zepman1
10-27-2008, 06:15 AM
I hope it works out for you guys, that's a great deal.

Amazon is running a new buy 2 get 1 free sale on BR movies. They also have several titles for $13 & 14.95 including I Am Legend. Might want to get a couple on the way for the big debut.

Thanks for the heads up. Those are some great deals. I've always found Amazon to be the best place to buy CD's and DVD's. Apparently I can add Bluray to the list. I wouldn't mind having I am Legend, especially at that price. Thought the movie looked and sounded really good on DVD, can't wait to check it out on Bluray.

Mr Peabody
10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
We'll have to start a forum just for the 550 owners around here :)

pixelthis
10-27-2008, 11:27 PM
I just purchased a Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV at Best Buy. With the purchase of a Sharp HDTV, you get $100 off any Blu-Ray player. All they had in stock at the store was the Sony 350 model, which would have cost me $199. However, I need the 7.1 analog output due to my older receiver. Salesman looked it up and said he could get me the Sony 550 model for $299 and it'll be here on Friday. I pick up the TV on Wednesday. Can't wait for the weekend...

That is a good thing.
I have the multichannel outs and it has saved what was an expensive (for me) receiver.
Don't feel the need for a new one at all, indeed, if I get anything it will probably be a new amp.:1:

winston
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
HI MR PAE. and all you guys on line,. mr pae, you did ask me if i ever try the digital amps in my pioneer VSX-72TXV receiver ? in your post # 21 well not much" however it did ring a (bell) so all week i have been doing just that and i an really happy with this anima i boxed up them acurus. i even drive my front speakers bi-amp bi-amping as the SB speaker terminals can be used for that.my BETA-50'S sound like speakers at much higher price point.these forums are big time help for me. BDP-550 arriving 04/11/08 happy trick & treat,all winston.

Mr Peabody
11-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Winston, glad your set up has improved. The internal amps must be really good. Those who tried them seem to like them but there is still a resistance or negativity amongst the hobbyists to digital amps.

I hope you menat 11/4. The 550 will be a nice addition.

winston
11-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Winston, glad your set up has improved. The internal amps must be really good. Those who tried them seem to like them but there is still a resistance or negativity amongst the hobbyists to digital amps.

I hope you menat 11/4. The 550 will be a nice addition.
haha well thats what happens when it passes :sleep: time we make the typos,ya 11/04 is the date, and i do understand (the resistance) with the hobbyists towards the digital amps. but after educating myself on this forum and trying out stuff i love the digital amps. for the surround soud formats, after using my acurus, two power amps for 5.1 all this time until" just last week all week i tapped into my RECEIVER it seems that i was missing a lot :smilewinkgrin: until next time win.