Old Sony 32" TV Problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old Sony 32" TV Problem

dax
10-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Have an old (10 years or so) Sony 32" tube. The picture is still pretty good on it. However, it now takes a long time for the picture to come on. Maybe 5 minutes or longer. Then it blinks for another minute or so before it becomes viewable.

Obviously, I don't want to spend a lot of money to repair it. But does anyone know what could be the issue with it? Thanks in advance.

Smokey
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
However, it now takes a long time for the picture to come on. Maybe 5 minutes or longer. Then it blinks for another minute or so before it becomes viewable.

Apprently Sony TVs have "self-diagnosis function" where number of blinks tell you what is wrong with TV. Count how many blinks your Tv is flashing and see if below table help:

0 times, Diagnosis: Power does not turn on. Possible causes include: Power cord is not plugged in, Fuse is burned out (F6001) (G board). Symptoms of the problem: Power does not come on, No power is supplied to the unit, AC power supply is faulty.

2 times, Diagnosis: B overcurrent (OCP). Possible causes: H. OUT (Q8024) is shorted. (D board), +B PWM (Q8035, 8038) is shorted. (D board) Symptoms of the problem: Power does not come on, Load on power line is shorted.

3 times, Diagnosis: +B overvoltage (OVP). Possible causes: IC501 is faulty (G board), IC5002 is faulty (G board). Symptoms of the problem: TV has entered standby mode.

4 times, Diagnosis: Vertical deflection stopped. Possible causes: +- 15V is not supplied. (D board), IC8003 is faulty. (A board) Symptoms of the problem: TV has entered standby state after horizontal raster, Vertical deflection pulse is stopped, Power line is shorted or power supply is stopped.

5 times, Diagnosis: White balance failure (Not balanced) Possible causes: Video out (IC7101, 7201, 7301) is faulty (CR, CG, CB board), CRT drive (IC309) is faulty (A board), G2 is improperly adjusted. Symptoms of the problem: No raster is generated, CRT cathode current detection reference pulse output is small.

6 times, Diagnosis: LOW B OCP/OVP (Overcurrent/over voltage). Possible causes: +5 line is overloaded. (A, B boards), +5 line is shorted. (A, B boards). Symptoms of the problem: No picture.

7 times, Diagnosis: Horizontal deflection stopped. Possible cause: Q8035, 8038 is shorted. (D board)

8 times, Diagnosis: High voltage error. Possible cause: T8005 is faulty. (D board)

9 times , Diagnosis: Audio error. Possible causes: +- 19V line is shorted. (A, B boards), IC708 is faulty. (A board), PS701 or PS702 is opened. (A board). Symptoms of the problem: No sound

Hopefully, the descriptions of the blinking lights and the symptoms and problems will point you in the right direction to tell the problem with your TV.

http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/08/sony-tv-led-blinking-codes-what-does-it.html

dax
10-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the info.

pixelthis
10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I was just gonna tell you to toss it, you can get a 32" HDTV for under five hundred now:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I was just gonna tell you to toss it, you can get a 32" HDTV for under five hundred now:1:
Was it ever any other way? :biggrin5:

pixelthis
10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Was it ever any other way? :biggrin5:

NOPE.

My place of work is tossing perfectly new comp monitors that nobody will use, everybody wants a new LCD.
I HAVE ONE IN MY CLOSET for backup.
At first you could justify fixing an old set, what with flat panel prices so high.
But now they are cheaper than dirt, doesnt make sense to keep an old dino around that will cost 200 bucks minimum to repair.
A 32" crt weighs around 150-200 pounds, I rediscovered the joys of moving one when I moved my parents awhile back.
All of this is glass in the front, you have a strap on the stand to keep it from tipping over.
And when it breaks I am buying them a new flat screen, might buy them
one anyway.
Its a false economy to keep one of these things around.:1:

dax
10-15-2008, 05:17 AM

That's what I'll be doing later this week as the set has now completely died. No picture at all. Just sound. Always wanted a 40-50" HDTV anyway.... new Samsung LCD sure looks nice.

Can't watch tonight's game on my 20" bedroom set. So I guess I'll just have to go out to the local pub tonight to watch the Phillies clinch their World Series birth. :)

pixelthis
10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
That's what I'll be doing later this week as the set has now completely died. No picture at all. Just sound. Always wanted a 40-50" HDTV anyway.... new Samsung LCD sure looks nice.

Can't watch tonight's game on my 20" bedroom set. So I guess I'll just have to go out to the local pub tonight to watch the Phillies clinch their World Series birth. :)

No pic at all just sound.
Either the tube (doubt it) or something in the high voltage(expensive
as a bev hills crack ho).
And Samsung makes a good set, have had two(both crt).
Would have bought their 40" for a couple of hundred more, but it was even more at the time.:1: