Bluray w/Bonus DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bluray w/Bonus DVD

L.J.
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I plan on picking up Sleeping Beauty on bluray tomorrow and noticed that a bonus DVD copy of the movie comes with it. Sweeettt!!!!

I'm just wondering could something like this become a regular thing? This would definitely have me purchasing more BR movies. Especially, animated stuff like Disney. That way my kids can have their own copy.

kexodusc
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I've noticed a few titles on Amazon that include something like "bonus digital copy" or some such feature, had assumed it might just be a download copy or something.
Guess that's handy for people who want a quick digital copy for the 2nd system, car, whatever.

L.J.
10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
I've noticed a few titles on Amazon that include something like "bonus digital copy" or some such feature, had assumed it might just be a download copy or something.
Guess that's handy for people who want a quick digital copy for the 2nd system, car, whatever.

I only own one DVD with the digital copy. I haven't tried any devices yet but I hope I can transfer it to the PSP I'm getting next week:smilewinkgrin: I have noticed the digital copy slowly appearing and I hope that takes off as well.

Sleeping Beauty has a actually DVD of the movie that comes with the BR. Now this is a trend I hope Disney sticks with. $25 for a BR & SD copy of the movie. I'm not sure if any other BR come with a actually DVD of the movie as well, but I hope it catches on.

I'm actually shocked that SB only being $25. That is a very decent price for all the extras and what not. I remember paying $22.95 for 2 disc special edition DVD's not to long ago.

Rich-n-Texas
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I thought you already owned a PSP L.J.? Wasn't it something like... "I'm getting my son one for his birthday, and then I'm going to take it back when he's asleep"?

:biggrin5:

Woochifer
10-07-2008, 12:40 PM
it would definitely be a smart move, especially if the studios want to maintain the $35-$40 list prices on Blu-rays. It would also help accelerate Blu-ray adoption, as consumers thinking about buying a Blu-ray player can buy the title and enjoy the DVD in the meantime.

New release DVDs are currently at the $29 price point, and I don't think Blu-ray releases will venture into that price point for a while. If anything, DVD releases have now gone to a two-tiered pricing structure where separate single-disc movie-only and two-disc limited edition versions get released at the same time. Looks like the Blu-ray list prices are dropping to the $35 price point shared with the two-disc limited edition DVDs.

Regardless of whether Blu-ray/DVD bundles become the norm, I think the days of loaded two-disc DVD new releases at the standard $29 list price are over.

Also recall that HD-DVD did the combo disc approach, by putting a DVD layer onto the same disc. It's a similar marketing approach, but I'm not sure how many extra HD-DVDs were sold because someone could buy a combo title and watch it before buying a HD-DVD player.