Wow....just Wow.... so much HIFI crap in 7 years? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wow....just Wow.... so much HIFI crap in 7 years?

Florian
10-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Wow.....just Wow.....

i spent some time at work @nothing better to do.....

I made a list, a list of almost all HIFI crap i have ever owned since i was 18 (i am now 25)...

here it is...... can you believe this? holy ****..... this hobby is crazy!

Onkyo TX-DS555
Onkyo Integra TX-SV919THX
Onkyo Integra TX-DS838
Onkyo Integra TX-DS939
Harman Kardon AVR7000
Marantz SR4200
Cambridge Audio Azur 540R

NAD C320BEE
Cambridge Audio C500
Cambridge Audio P500
Pathos Acoustics Classic One
Krell KSA150
Sphinx Project 18
Ampzilla 2000 Stereo
Ampzilla 2000 Mono
Musical Fidelity P500
Usher Audio R1.5
Krell KSA 100 MKII
Krell KSA250
Sphinx Project 14 MKIII
Sphinx Project 14 MKIII

Jolida JD300b
Tact Audio RCS 2.0
Sphinx Project 2 MKII
RM Electronics RM30
Krell KRC
Tact Audio RCS 2.2XP
CAT SL1 MKII

Onkyo CD 340
Marantz CD 56
Cambridge Audio CD1
Onkyo Integra DX6850
Audio Analouge Paganini MKII
Unison Reasearch Unico CD
TEAC Laufwerk
Rega Planet 2000 MKII
Sony SCD777ES
Sphinx Project 32

Onkyo THX F2
Magnepan MG 0.5QR/SE
Onkyo THX-System 1
Magnepan Mg 0.5QR/SE
Magnepan MG 1.6QR/SE
Magnepan MG 3.6QR/SE (Eiche, Hell)
Magnepan MG 3.6QR/SE (Schwarz)
VMPS RM30M
VMPS 626
Apogee Scintilla
Apogee DIVA
Apogee Grand
Apogee Stage
Acoustat Spectra 11

Velodyne CT100 Subwoofer
JM Lab Chorus SW700

Wadia 12 DA Wandler
Cambridge Audio Dac1

GMichael
10-06-2008, 05:55 AM
When does your store open?

Florian
10-06-2008, 05:59 AM
When does your store open?

I sold most of that crap.... i still have some stuff tought :thumbsup:

Luvin Da Blues
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I sold most of that crap.... i still have some stuff tought :thumbsup:

Jeez Flo,

One man's crap, I guess, is another man's treasure.

LDB

bobsticks
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Nice work Flo. We all know about you're favorite piece of gear...what was the worst?

blackraven
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Interesting Thread! Lets see what others have bought in the past 7-10yrs

Here's my list form current to past

Van Alstine Ultra DAC
Parasound Halo A21 amp
BlueJeans cables IC's, speaker cables and Digital coax
Monitor Audio S1 speakers
Sony 52" XBR LCD TV
Bluejeans HDMI
Sony BDP-300 BRP
Cambridge Audio 840c
Marantz SA8001 SACDP
Cambridge Audio 740c
Adcom GFR-700 AVR
Magnepan 1.6QR's
Monster m1000i and m950i IC's
Monster Z4 speaker cable
Audioquest Coral IC's
Audioquest Power Cord
Cyberpower power conditioner and surge suppressor
MusicHall 25.2 CDP
Magnepan MMG's
JVC RX VBK 8000 AVR
Velodyne CHT-8 sub
Denon 1910 DVD
Panasonic DVD for daughter
Sony DVD for son
Pioneer VSX 515 AVR for son
Yamaha HTR 5860 AVR for daughter
Infinity Primus 160's for daughter
Technics multidisc CDP

Looks like junk compared to Flo's!

Florian
10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Jeez Flo,

One man's crap, I guess, is another man's treasure.

LDB

True! Kinda sad to be honest... :)

Florian
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice work Flo. We all know about you're favorite piece of gear...what was the worst?

The worst....

1st place: VMPS RM30 speakers Biggest crap speaker ever
2nd place: Unison Reasearch Unico CD Asus CD-Rom drive
3d place: NAD 320BEE Poor construction, sound
4th place: Usher Audio R1.5 just forget this thing

thekid
10-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Flo

Glad to see you back posting on a regular basis!

I have only been at this for about 3 years now and the garage is starting to look pretty scary. Of course the difference between your "crap" and my "crap" is that my stuff in the garage with exception of a few speakers really is crap. Thank god for Craigslist though, I sold off my last pair of Bose 201 (not total crap) last night. Fortunately most of the stuff I don't need/like only cost me pennies on the dollar.

Florian
10-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi Kid,

i never really kept much of this. I usually sold it, added a few bugs and bought the next level. I kept the following, if its of any interest:

Apogee Grand speakers
Apogee Stage speakers
Acoustat Spectra 11 speakers
2x Sphinx PJ14 amps
Sphinx PJ32 CD-Player and DAC
Convergant Audio Technology SL1 MKII
Sony VPH-G70Q projector

the rest is gone.....

pixelthis
10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Wait until you're 50+ years old
seven VCRS
EIGHT RECEIVERS
five COMPLETE SETS OF SPEAKERS
two laserdisc players.
seven CD players(there a bouts)
thirteen monitors(televisions)
six DVD players
I blu player

Enough stands to wipe out a rainforest.:1:

kelsci
10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Florian, it might be a collection of "crap" and owning it has probably driven you close to the electonic "looney bin" but at the same time you cannot deny that you have learned alot about consumer electronics by owning all this stuff as well.

GMichael
10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Kid,

i never really kept much of this. I usually sold it, added a few bugs and bought the next level. I kept the following, if its of any interest:

Apogee Grand speakers
Apogee Stage speakers
Acoustat Spectra 11 speakers
2x Sphinx PJ14 amps
Sphinx PJ32 CD-Player and DAC
Convergant Audio Technology SL1 MKII
Sony VPH-G70Q projector

the rest is gone.....

When you are ready to toss these out, I'll send you my address. (Although the freight may end up costing more than my current system(s).:mad2:

Florian
10-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I am tossing out the Acoustats if anyone wants them. The Grand is here to stay and so is the rest pretty much too :smilewinkgrin:

E-Stat
10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Wait until you're 50+ years old
seven VCRS
EIGHT RECEIVERS
five COMPLETE SETS OF SPEAKERS
two laserdisc players.
seven CD players(there a bouts)
thirteen monitors(televisions)
six DVD players
I blu player

Enough stands to wipe out a rainforest.:1:
I considered answering Flo's response, but decided to use yours since I fall into the same age category. During my teens and early twenties, I likewise turned over quite a bit of gear to figure out what I really wanted. Today, however, replacing components is a rarity since I tend to keep the good ones for decades.

I have but three systems: main, garage, and HT. The garage system is largely hand-me-downs from the main system with a dose of nostalgia - it uses very similar speakers that I used when I was 16 (which was a long time ago.) :)

rw

nightflier
10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I made a list, a list of almost all HIFI crap i have ever owned since i was 18 (i am now 25)...

And that's your list? Sheez, it's taken me a lifetime and my list isn't even that long or impressive. Actually, I should probably draw a line between stuff that I actually owned / enjoyed and all the rest that's passed through my house in one way or another (borrowed, traded, pawned, stored for people, etc.). Sad thing is, a lot of gear hasn't even received a good audition before I sent it back, so there might have been some gems in there, but I missed them.

That said, I currently own way more than I should. Maybe I've grown attached to some of it too - the idea that I got such a great deal on something and just can't bear to let it go (my Threshold pre, for example). I just don't have the time to carefully evaluate it all anymore. Some stuff I may never get to. Maybe this holiday season I'll actually get around to selling it, but that's also a hassle with the listing and packing and stuff. Of course this economy is going to hurt the resale value of a lot of this stuff too. At this point I'd rather trade and get some of the things I really need.

Doc Sage
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Well I am over 50 and can not remember most of what I owned over the years. How about I list what I remember? The highlights.

The 70s, Yamaha A1000, the beginning of Yamaha
Dynaco 50, if the 25's with one woofer was good, the 50's with two gotta be better. LOL
Toshiba direct drive turntable, I could not justify the cost of a Technics
Stax earphone, the Yam's had a class A feature that made these phone's sing.
Note, Sold this to buy my first car, a VW Beetle. I was a single young man and into partying. Lots of Floyd's, Supertramp & Steely Dan...and the odd disco. Still love the classic rock but do not play them much now days.

80's H/K receiver, need I say more?
Home built speakers using Philips components. Ugly looking boxes but great sounding.
Rega turntable. Had the first released Sony CD player.
Note, A family man by then. Sold this to move to the west coast. Lots of light rock, some New Age and New Wave. None of these are around anymore but for B52's (J/K)

90's & 00's Now I remember better. LOL
Luxman hybrid & Nakamichi receivers, Mckintosh 250 amp & matching pre/tuner, Sony surround (presently for sale) & now Sudgen amp.
Celestion, Energy & now Josephaudio speakers
Mission, Samsung & now Marantz digital but my fave was a Denon portable CD player.
Note, Single again. My musical taste has matured, more jazz and blues, less LOUD rock.

Enjoy,
Doc Sage

bobsticks
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Doc,

Welcome to the forums. It reads like you've had quite an illustrious battle with the audio bug over the years.

Looking forward to reading about the JosephAudio speaks one of these days.

---sticks

pixelthis
10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I considered answering Flo's response, but decided to use yours since I fall into the same age category. During my teens and early twenties, I likewise turned over quite a bit of gear to figure out what I really wanted. Today, however, replacing components is a rarity since I tend to keep the good ones for decades.

I have but three systems: main, garage, and HT. The garage system is largely hand-me-downs from the main system with a dose of nostalgia - it uses very similar speakers that I used when I was 16 (which was a long time ago.) :)

rw

Same here but I still trade TV a lot, cant stand to miss out on a "feature".
You're lucky in one respect anyway, I still havent figured out what I "want" yet, although I have "narrowed " it down a bit.
Thanks to being stuck with a pair of "doze" speakers for awhile I have figured out what I DON'T want.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
...Thanks to being stuck with a pair of "doze"(Bose) speakers for awhile I have figured out what I DON'T want.:1:
Hey everybody! Pix is a BOSE fan after all! :lol:

Doc Sage
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks to being stuck with a pair of "doze" speakers for awhile I have figured out what I DON'T want.:1:

Well that explain my side trip to surround sound. I live for music and not for videos. I was playing my 7.1 receiver in 2.0 99% of the time.

I have yet to understand to reason why so many "likes" Bose speakers. I find them overly harsh in the treble region, muddy in the lower end and without dynamics but what gets me the most is the scattered sound stage.

Of the stuff I owned over the years that still brings good memories was an B&O receiver (model 2000 - I think). I used it in my bedroom for a while and I love the touch controls...very handy with my toes...or hers.

I had a 10" wheel to wheel deck (Akai or TEAC ?) that was great at parties. I would record 6 hours of music and it would let me free to enjoy the evening.

Doc Sage

blackraven
10-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Ahh Doc! Your bringing me back to my College days in the 1970's
with B&O, Akai and Teac Reel to Reels. All I need is Keg of beer, some 20yo hot babes and a bong!

filecat13
10-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Well I am over 50 and can not remember most of what I owned over the years.
Enjoy,
Doc Sage

Hey, Doc, I know what you mean.

In the mid '60s my parents bought a Magnavox stereo console, and it changed my musical life. Soon I had my own Electrophonic stereo system with 6" woofers, paid for with chore and side job money. When I left for college in 1969, I took a brand new, upgraded Electrophonic system with real wood and two-way speakers with 8" woofers. Shortly after, I added a pair of ADS speakers with 10" woofers. Finally in 1970, I bought my dream system with money from my gig as college radio station manager: Kenwood KR-6160, Dual 1219, and JBL L100 Century speakers. No one in the dorm was even close, and I was the king.

Then the 70s closed in... and it's hard to recall. :3:

thekid
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM
This thread got me thinking and I now realize it has been almost exactly 12-months since I got back into stereo/2-channel music. It all started with those $14 pair of RTR's and since then I have compiled the following gear;

AMPS
Kenwood Basic M1D
Kenwood KM-106
Kenwood KM-209
Onkyo M-5000
Onkyo M-5150

PRE-AMP
Kenwood Basic C-1 (2)
Kenwood Basic C-2
Kenwood KC-105
Onkyo P-3150V

RECIEVERS
Akai AA-1125
Gladding Mark 200a
Pioneer SX-9000
Kenwood KR-3600
Sansui 7900Z

SPEAKERS
DCM Time Frame 350's (2 pair)
DCM Time Frame 500
DCM Time Frame 600
DCM CX-27
DCM Time Piece
DCM Center Channel
DBX SW15 Subwoofer
EPI 100
Genesis 1
Genesis 10
Infinity RS 2000.4
JBL 2050
Marantz Imperial 5G
Realistic Minimus 7
Realistic Nova 5
Realistic Optimus 5B

OTHER GEAR
MSB Link DAC
Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner
Pioneer 5500 II Tuner
NAD 6325 Tape deck
Sony SCD C222 ES SACD player
Dual 1019 Turntable
Technics 1500 Turntable
Kenwood GE-75 Graphic Equalizer
EQ-18 Graphic Equalizer
TA-W60 Cassette
Denon DCD-810 CD player
Marantz 63SE CD player
Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector

Admittedly there is alot of low-end gear but then again each step has been a learning experience and along the way I did find some solidly mid-fi gear and some great sounding speakers. I appreciate all the help and support from the community I have recieved along the way.

THANKS!

ejfreud
10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Where are you? I'm in Idaho. Emil

Wits
10-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Now I like the way thekid arranged things...that way I know what the different things he lists are! ;)

Florian, man...I haven't a clue what 3/4ths of that stuff is. :( Damn I'm old. Or dumb. Or both. :mad2:

E-Stat
11-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Where are you? I'm in Idaho. Emil
Various Acoustats served me well from 1977-2005!

rw