Help ... Question about what TV RCA wires to use [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help ... Question about what TV RCA wires to use

Turbota
10-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I have a real basic question about which wires to use when hooking up my 42" Plasma TV:

First, let me say that I am not hooking up a HT system to this TV ... The only source of video/audio going to the TV is from my satellite TV box and a DVD player.

The Plasma TV has RCA input jacks for both Composite (red/white/yellow) wires and RCA input jacks for Component (green/red/blue) wires.

Since the satellite TV box only has the output jacks for Composite wires, I believe my only option is to use the Composite wires (red/white/yellow) between the satellite box and the TV.

However, the DVD player is set-up like the TV ... It can use either Composite or Component wires, so I have the option to use either between the DVD player and the TV.

My question is ... Even though I use the inferior Composite RCA wires between the satellite box and the TV ... Would I be better off using the Component (green/red/blue) wires when connecting the DVD player to the TV? .... Or do I have to stick to just Composite wires since the satellite box to the TV has them?

Thank's for any info,
Ron

P.S. The TV will be wall mounted, so whatever wires I use, they will be about 6 feet long.

Rich-n-Texas
10-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Use the Component wires between the DVD player and the TV Ron. Picture quality from composite is quite poor compared to component.

And... if you hang around here long enough eventually you'll be talked into upgrading that satellite box too. :smilewinkgrin:

Turbota
10-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks Rich ...

Thanks for the help with the wires. I guess there is another wire I will need for the audio signal since the 3 wires (green/red/blue) in the Component cable are video only?

Well, since I am in the Philippines, and cable TV is not avail in my subdivision, the only choice here is satellite TV ... And the only company that offers satellite TV is a company called Dream Satellite. They sell you the dish and the box. My box is made by Homecast and uses the "Ku-Agila" 2 satellite. Launched in Aug, 1997, this satellite is a very old one (not the best picture quality)

The satellite box and the TV both do have plugs for S-Video ... Do you think the picture quality would be any better using this S-video cable instead of the Composite wires between the satellite box and the TV? ... I mean, really noticable?

Ron,

Rich-n-Texas
10-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks Rich ...

Thanks for the help with the wires. I guess there is another wire I will need for the audio signal since the 3 wires (green/red/blue) in the Component cable are video only?
Correct. Component is video only. If your DVD player has digital optical or digital coax out, buy a "toslink" cable which is an optical cable and has the proper ends for the connection, or a coax cable which is essentially shielded wire, terminated with RCA plugs.

Well, since I am in the Philippines, and cable TV is not avail in my subdivision, the only choice here is satellite TV ... And the only company that offers satellite TV is a company called Dream Satellite. They sell you the dish and the box. My box is made by Homecast and uses the "Ku-Agila" 2 satellite. Launched in Aug, 1997, this satellite is a very old one (not the best picture quality)

The satellite box and the TV both do have plugs for S-Video ... Do you think the picture quality would be any better using this S-video cable instead of the Composite wires between the satellite box and the TV? ... I mean, really noticable?

Ron,
Theoretically, S-video provides better picture quality than Composite (but not Component) so yeah, use it. You'll still need your red and white RCA cables for the audio portion though.