HT theatre speakers, TruAudio??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT theatre speakers, TruAudio???

jabroneez
10-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I am constructing a HT room in my walk out basement, so the room does have a window. Dimensions 15x14x8, wood stud walls. I have been buying some componets as I construct it. This is what I have so far.
A/V reciever : http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/VSX-94TXH
Projector: Panasonic AE2000u
Screen: High Contrast Cinema Vision Da-Lite 106"
Blu Ray/DVD: PS3 (for now)
Speakers: NEED HELP

My local audio/video company wants to sell me some speakers that are dealer bought only, for my home theatre system. For Fronts and Centers TruAudio Tru-Cinema Model TC465 LCR(800$/ea),
Rears R2-8 in ceilings(650$/pair), and Tru Cinema TC-12 Sub-woofer(1500$). Has anyone ever heard of these? Are they any good? Is there something better out there for the price?

elapsed
10-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi jabroneez.. I did some searches for TruAudio, I have concerns that:

- No review on the Internet
- No company background info on their website
- No information on where the speakers are produced
- All of the testimonials on their website are from dealers, not customers
- Their awards are from custom install magazines, not from audiophile magazines

They do look like a reputable company, however they are very clearly targeted towards a custom install market, and your dealer is likely biased towards this brand based on their their high margin. I'd highly recommend auditioning several sets of speakers before spending $5,000 on this speaker set, but don't let this discourage you from purchasing the TruAudio speakers if in fact these sound great to you and you feel they offer good value

cheers,
elapsed

jabroneez
10-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi jabroneez.. I did some searches for TruAudio, I have concerns that:

- No review on the Internet
- No company background info on their website
- No information on where the speakers are produced
- All of the testimonials on their website are from dealers, not customers
- Their awards are from custom install magazines, not from audiophile magazines

They do look like a reputable company, however they are very clearly targeted towards a custom install market, and your dealer is likely biased towards this brand based on their their high margin. I'd highly recommend auditioning several sets of speakers before spending $5,000 on this speaker set, but don't let this discourage you from purchasing the TruAudio speakers if in fact these sound great to you and you feel they offer good value

cheers,
elapsed
Thanks for responding. These were many of my concerns. Thats why I was wondering inf anyone out there had actual experience with them. I am also considering:

Paradigm Monitor Series
Monitor 11 towers $1199/pair
Monitor CC-390 center $599
Monitor ADP-390 surrounds $698/pair
UltraCube 12 subwoofer $999
Total $3495

PSB Imagine Series w/ SVS subwoofer
Imagine T towers $2000/pair
Imagine C center $800
Imagine S surrounds $1200/pair
SVS PB12-Plus subwoofer $999
Total $4999

PSB Image Series w/SVS subwoofer
Image T65 towers $1199/pair
Image C60 center $449
Image S50 surrounds $799/pair
SVS SB12-Plus $699
Total $3146

Monitor Audio Silver Series
RS8 towers $1175/pair
RSLCR center $500
RSFX surrounds $500/pair
RSW-12 subwoofer $765
Total $2940

Monitor Audio Gold Series
GS20 towers $2150
GSLCR center $770
GSFX surrounds $1160/pair
GSW-12 subwoofer $1230
Total $5320

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

pixelthis
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I am constructing a HT room in my walk out basement, so the room does have a window. Dimensions 15x14x8, wood stud walls. I have been buying some componets as I construct it. This is what I have so far.
A/V reciever : http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/VSX-94TXH
Projector: Panasonic AE2000u
Screen: High Contrast Cinema Vision Da-Lite 106"
Blu Ray/DVD: PS3 (for now)
Speakers: NEED HELP

My local audio/video company wants to sell me some speakers that are dealer bought only, for my home theatre system. For Fronts and Centers TruAudio Tru-Cinema Model TC465 LCR(800$/ea),
Rears R2-8 in ceilings(650$/pair), and Tru Cinema TC-12 Sub-woofer(1500$). Has anyone ever heard of these? Are they any good? Is there something better out there for the price?

Regardless of how "good" they are, for five grand you can get a set of B&W cm's, which includes a nice set of floorstanders for the front and a hot sub.
I cant beleive that these offbrand speakers can be as good.
Go to an orthodonist and you'll get braces, this place is trying to make money off of you.
Theres better, trust me.
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/bw_offers_up_4_new_speakers/C18

And this is the top of the line in this series, replace the floorstanders
and it will cost even less.:1:

Ajani
10-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks for responding. These were many of my concerns. Thats why I was wondering inf anyone out there had actual experience with them. I am also considering:

Paradigm Monitor Series
Monitor 11 towers $1199/pair
Monitor CC-390 center $599
Monitor ADP-390 surrounds $698/pair
UltraCube 12 subwoofer $999
Total $3495

PSB Imagine Series w/ SVS subwoofer
Imagine T towers $2000/pair
Imagine C center $800
Imagine S surrounds $1200/pair
SVS PB12-Plus subwoofer $999
Total $4999

PSB Image Series w/SVS subwoofer
Image T65 towers $1199/pair
Image C60 center $449
Image S50 surrounds $799/pair
SVS SB12-Plus $699
Total $3146

Monitor Audio Silver Series
RS8 towers $1175/pair
RSLCR center $500
RSFX surrounds $500/pair
RSW-12 subwoofer $765
Total $2940

Monitor Audio Gold Series
GS20 towers $2150
GSLCR center $770
GSFX surrounds $1160/pair
GSW-12 subwoofer $1230
Total $5320

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Of all those options, I would pick the Monitor Audio Gold Series... I absolutely love the sound of those speakers... but I still suggest you audition as many of those combos as you can, before buying anything.

RoadRunner6
10-05-2008, 01:30 PM
For the best performance, I wouldn't touch the Tru speakers or any in wall or ceiling speakers.

The Monitor Audio, B&W and Paradigm are all excellent choices. Stay away from the little cube subs and the smaller SVS (SB-12) unless you are really pinched for room. When considering subs, size really does matter for higher output with lower distortion and lower bass extension. The cube subs have many compromises (large magnets and amps, etc) as a trade-off for the small enclosure size. If you have room, two subs (on opposite walls) will give you even better performance for all seats . The SVS line is excellent including the PB-12 Plus and their Ultra series subs, both the box and the cylindrical designed sub.

For an alternative choice go with my own brands, Axiom Audio's for the mains and Outlaw Audio for the subs. You could buy from Axiom Audio, 2ea M80's for the L & R, 1ea V P150 for the C and 2ea QS8's (superb surround) for the R (sides). For the sub I would consider 1ea of the SVS PB13-Ultra (total system price $3877, or the PC13-Ultra for $3677, or the PB-12 Plus for $3277). If you have room, 2ea of the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX (total system price $3377). See photo of the LFM-1 Plus (same appearance as the EX) at my profile/gallery. Custom wood finishes are available from Axiom.

For an excellent performer and great buy in a stand alone Blu Ray player, watch for the new Panny DMP-BD 35K which will be out in about a month for $299 or less (you have HDMI and won't need the model 55). Later the long awaited and probably superb OPPO model will be out, but at above $500-700 or more.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

Enjoy your new theater.

RR6 :p

jabroneez
10-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Only problem only place within 200 miles that has any of these speakes is the PSB series. Any thoughts on this used set. I am new audio/video gear. Does this sound like a good deal? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=7153

Thanks Again:)

RoadRunner6
10-05-2008, 05:14 PM
If you are not an experienced person in audio (and know what to listen for) then listening before you buy is a risk as all speakers sound very different in different rooms and even at different locations in the same room. Where you place the speakers in your room and the accoustical characteristics of the room are extremely important. A speaker that sounds great in a listening room might sound not so great in your room and visa versa. In a listening room one can get a general opinion about sound quality and especially the midrange. The bass is especially hard to evaluate.

I would place a lot of emphasis on pro reviews. Go to the manufacturers website and read all reviews linked on the model you are considering as well as the models just below and above that model. You will learn a lot. Usually I find these reviews quite accurate. Also enter in your search window the exact brand name and model number followed by the word "review." You will usually get lots of info on both pro and user reviews. For someone like you who lives far away from dealers this can be very good.

This is one reason I mentioned the Axiom speakers. They are direct to buyer and thus considerably cheaper for the same quality. They ship free to the US with no tax and 30 day return.

I would rather see you drive the 200 miles and buy some new speakers than a used set, epsecially since you have no experience. Sounds like those B&W's were driven very hard and had the tweeters blown. I don't have time to look it up now but those speakers might have different tweeters and not be a perfect voice/timbre match from the L&R to the C to the surrounds. This is extremely important to have all five speakers from the same brand and series so that they have the same exact tweeter for the smoothest homogenous surround sound. I would leave used speakers for the experienced.

RR6

pixelthis
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
For the best performance, I wouldn't touch the Tru speakers or any in wall or ceiling speakers.

The Monitor Audio, B&W and Paradigm are all excellent choices. Stay away from the little cube subs and the smaller SVS (SB-12) unless you are really pinched for room. When considering subs, size really does matter for higher output with lower distortion and lower bass extension. The cube subs have many compromises (large magnets and amps, etc) as a trade-off for the small enclosure size. If you have room, two subs (on opposite walls) will give you even better performance for all seats . The SVS line is excellent including the PB-12 Plus and their Ultra series subs, both the box and the cylindrical designed sub.

For an alternative choice go with my own brands, Axiom Audio's for the mains and Outlaw Audio for the subs. You could buy from Axiom Audio, 2ea M80's for the L & R, 1ea V P150 for the C and 2ea QS8's (superb surround) for the R (sides). For the sub I would consider 1ea of the SVS PB13-Ultra (total system price $3877, or the PC13-Ultra for $3677, or the PB-12 Plus for $3277). If you have room, 2ea of the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX (total system price $3377). See photo of the LFM-1 Plus (same appearance as the EX) at my profile/gallery. Custom wood finishes are available from Axiom.

For an excellent performer and great buy in a stand alone Blu Ray player, watch for the new Panny DMP-BD 35K which will be out in about a month for $299 or less (you have HDMI and won't need the model 55). Later the long awaited and probably superb OPPO model will be out, but at above $500-700 or more.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

Enjoy your new theater.

RR6 :p

Little "cube" subs are fine.
I have had an asw-1000 going on a decade, bought it because of its
musicality, which is more important to me.
Beleive me, these little suckers put out plenty of rich detailed bass.
AT LEAST THE b&w version does.:1:

RoadRunner6
10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Pixelthis, why don't you go back and read my post again, it says:

".....Stay away from the little cube subs and the smaller SVS (SB-12) unless you are really pinched for room....."

"Little cube subs" does not include the B&W ASW1000. Its dimensions are 18.1x21.3x19.7 and weighs 66 lb (120 watts). That is not huge but it is certainly not a mini or macro cube sub. It has an enclosure volume of 7595 cu inches!
that is almost exactly the size of the HSU VTF-2 MK 3 which is no small sub and weighs 80 lbs.

I am talking about subs like the Sunfire Signature and other tiny subs that have an enclosures barely larger than the driver diameter. The Sunfire Signature has an enclosure of 13x13x13, 2197 cu inches (2700 watts) The SVS SB12-Plus is somewhat larger than many of these tiny subs but still only has an enclosure suze if 15x14x14, 2940 cu inches.

Get the difference? The laws of speaker physics require designers who make a little cube sub to install extra large magnets, extra long excursion drivers and higher powered amps to attempt to attain the same performance as a sub with a much larger enclosure with the same driver size. These cube subs are impressive for their size but they do not match the performance of conventional sized subs in output, distortion or bass extension.

Therefore, the only reason to purchase them is if one is extremely space restricted or has a manipulative/controlling wife. The little Sunfire is over $2000 and can't match the performance of SVS, HSU, Outlaw, Velodyne or other quality brand conventional sized subs at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. I only offer this warning for the inexperienced buyer who might not understand that these little buggers just don't cut the cake if one wants the best performance, regardless of the impressive sounding showroom demo.

RR6

pixelthis
10-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Pixelthis, why don't you go back and read my post again, it says:

".....Stay away from the little cube subs and the smaller SVS (SB-12) unless you are really pinched for room....."

"Little cube subs" does not include the B&W ASW1000. Its dimensions are 18.1x21.3x19.7 and weighs 66 lb (120 watts). That is not huge but it is certainly not a mini or macro cube sub. It has an enclosure volume of 7595 cu inches!
that is almost exactly the size of the HSU VTF-2 MK 3 which is no small sub and weighs 80 lbs.

I am talking about subs like the Sunfire Signature and other tiny subs that have an enclosures barely larger than the driver diameter. The Sunfire Signature has an enclosure of 13x13x13, 2197 cu inches (2700 watts) The SVS SB12-Plus is somewhat larger than many of these tiny subs but still only has an enclosure suze if 15x14x14, 2940 cu inches.

Get the difference? The laws of speaker physics require designers who make a little cube sub to install extra large magnets, extra long excursion drivers and higher powered amps to attempt to attain the same performance as a sub with a much larger enclosure with the same driver size. These cube subs are impressive for their size but they do not match the performance of conventional sized subs in output, distortion or bass extension.

Therefore, the only reason to purchase them is if one is extremely space restricted or has a manipulative/controlling wife. The little Sunfire is over $2000 and can't match the performance of SVS, HSU, Outlaw, Velodyne or other quality brand conventional sized subs at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. I only offer this warning for the inexperienced buyer who might not understand that these little buggers just don't cut the cake if one wants the best performance, regardless of the impressive sounding showroom demo.

RR6

You must be talkin about a newer model.
MY asw-1000 is 12 1/2 by 12 1/2 by 12 1/2.
Its 14" deep, 5" of which is taken up by a space for the plate amp
(which it currently lacks) so its effective depth is really 9" .
Do the math, its actually smaller than the Sunfire.
And its not much smaller than the SVS.
And it sounds great, even though powered by the right channel of my
"B" speakers.
It was known as a bit of a wonder when I got it, and it still is.
As people saying " I wonder how that much bass comes outta that tiny box":1:

RoadRunner6
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry Pix, this is really strange. This is one of the different links that gives the same basic specs. Does this mean they actually made two subs, completely different with the same model number? Perhaps they were for different country markets. (or have you been drinking too much, ha, ha)

RR6 :D

".....The ASW1000 active subwoofer adds a new depth to B&W's quest for perfect sound reproduction. It has been designed specifically to deliver a punchy and precise bass response so vital to a Home Cinema surround sound. This has been achieved only by use of the very highest quality components, together with technical innovations for which B&W is famous. These include B&W's world beating Flow Port system and a new ultra low frequency 12 inch drive unit. To ensure fewer demands are imposed on your main amplifier, the ASW1000 also has its own audiophile grade 120 watt amplifier. Added to your home cinema system, underpinning the higher frequencies with a fast and articulate bass response, the ASW1000 will truly enhance your listening pleasure.

* Frequency Response:±3dB 25Hz - 40/140Hz adjustable response
* Low-Pass filter:Active 4th-order, variable cutoff frequency 40-140Hz
* High-pass filter (Line level):active 3rd-order at 80 Hz
* High-pass filter (Speaker level)passive 1st-order at 80Hz into 8 ohm resistor (response using speaker level connections dependent on satellite impedance)
* Sensitivity:90dB spl (2.83V 1m)
* Power output:120W continuous
* Signal/Noise:90dB
* Input Impedance:22kohms
* Functions:Input Level Phase 0/180 -Low-pass filter frequency -1x 300mm (12in) dia long-throw with magnetic shielding
* Dimensions:Height: 460mm (18.1in) /Width: 540mm (21.3in) /Depth: 500mm (19.7in)
* New Weight:30kg / 66lb
* Cabinet:Black Ash Vinyl
* Grille:Black Cloth....."

pixelthis
10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Sorry Pix, this is really strange. This is one of the different links that gives the same basic specs. Does this mean they actually made two subs, completely different with the same model number? Perhaps they were for different country markets. (or have you been drinking too much, ha, ha)

RR6 :D

".....The ASW1000 active subwoofer adds a new depth to B&W's quest for perfect sound reproduction. It has been designed specifically to deliver a punchy and precise bass response so vital to a Home Cinema surround sound. This has been achieved only by use of the very highest quality components, together with technical innovations for which B&W is famous. These include B&W's world beating Flow Port system and a new ultra low frequency 12 inch drive unit. To ensure fewer demands are imposed on your main amplifier, the ASW1000 also has its own audiophile grade 120 watt amplifier. Added to your home cinema system, underpinning the higher frequencies with a fast and articulate bass response, the ASW1000 will truly enhance your listening pleasure.

* Frequency Response:±3dB 25Hz - 40/140Hz adjustable response
* Low-Pass filter:Active 4th-order, variable cutoff frequency 40-140Hz
* High-pass filter (Line level):active 3rd-order at 80 Hz
* High-pass filter (Speaker level)passive 1st-order at 80Hz into 8 ohm resistor (response using speaker level connections dependent on satellite impedance)
* Sensitivity:90dB spl (2.83V 1m)
* Power output:120W continuous
* Signal/Noise:90dB
* Input Impedance:22kohms
* Functions:Input Level Phase 0/180 -Low-pass filter frequency -1x 300mm (12in) dia long-throw with magnetic shielding
* Dimensions:Height: 460mm (18.1in) /Width: 540mm (21.3in) /Depth: 500mm (19.7in)
* New Weight:30kg / 66lb
* Cabinet:Black Ash Vinyl
* Grille:Black Cloth....."

Mine has (or had) a 700 watt bash plate amp.
"mini" subs were all the rage and this was a highly sophisticated
little sub, the main point is that it had a small footprint for its size.
It has no markings on it since the plate amps long gone, but its probably a 2500.
I bought an asw1000 but wanted the 2500, just didnt have teh grand it was on sale for.
BUT a few weeks after spring 300 odd bucks for the 1000 (or somesuch) I won 800 bucks at the casino.
Took the first one back and got what I preferred.
My bad but when you get an older brain like mine you will understand.:1:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=773&pid=1931

RoadRunner6
10-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey, these mini subs are all the rage now also. Everybody and his brother is coming out with one. Sounds like we both belong to the same fuzzy brain club. My wife sends me to the store for 2 items and I need a list!

In fact, I am probably older than you, young squirt. I was born during the big one, WWII.

RR6 :lol:

blackraven
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
If your looking at PSB consider the synchrony 2's. Also check this place out for PSB and Monitor Audio speakers for discount prices. They are reliable as I have bought from them before and they usually have big discounts on PSB and Monitor Audio products. You can pick up a pair of Monitor Audio RS-8's for less than $1660pr.

jabroneez
10-09-2008, 05:26 AM
If your looking at PSB consider the synchrony 2's. Also check this place out for PSB and Monitor Audio speakers for discount prices. They are reliable as I have bought from them before and they usually have big discounts on PSB and Monitor Audio products. You can pick up a pair of Monitor Audio RS-8's for less than $1660pr.

What site are you talking about?
Thanks.

blackraven
10-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Sorry, it was about 2am and I was tired and forgot to list the site.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

pixelthis
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey, these mini subs are all the rage now also. Everybody and his brother is coming out with one. Sounds like we both belong to the same fuzzy brain club. My wife sends me to the store for 2 items and I need a list!

In fact, I am probably older than you, young squirt. I was born during the big one, WWII.

RR6 :lol:

yep, you probably have a decade on me .
Anyway model numbers are one thing my brain keeps throwing over the side to make room for new stuff, I also used the wrong number on my center.
Thats what you get for going longer than design specs call for:1:

speakergi
04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Regardless of how "good" they are, for five grand you can get a set of B&W cm's, which includes a nice set of floorstanders for the front and a hot sub.
I cant beleive that these offbrand speakers can be as good.
Go to an orthodonist and you'll get braces, this place is trying to make money off of you.
Theres better, trust me.
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/bw_offers_up_4_new_speakers/C18

And this is the top of the line in this series, replace the floorstanders
and it will cost even less.:1:

First of all, Tru-Audio are nto "off brand" speakers, they are a high-end built-in solution that has excellent clarity, detail and high end crossover design. They are preoperly designed, built and will walk all over B&W offerings, which have really slipped over the last decade.

To top those, and pretty much anything else mentioned here, out of the water for a low price, RBH is your best bet. They used to build some of the most famous speakersfor the most famed manufacturer's, such as the line array speaker that McIntish had in the 80's, which was built and desingeed by RBH and OEM builder at that time (also built for JBL, Fosagate, McIntosh and others).

You will never find RBH in a big box or retail environment, dealer only, and if you really want the B&W style cones, RBH's mid-line products (TK series) use the same cones. However, the MC series aluminum cones or the high end Signature Series aluminum cones and even Signature reference models (using the Status Acoustics drivers, also an RBH brand) will dance circles around anything you can find in a retail store and especially the Truaudio line.

As for a sub, RBH makes a dual 8" inwall aluminum sub and also amps for them that will rock your room hard.

Audio72
11-30-2018, 02:31 PM
TruAudio Speakers are horrible. Do not buy, Caution! The company is unethical and terrible quality.

Vivi_J
03-19-2019, 06:00 AM
TruAudio Speakers are horrible. Do not buy, Caution! The company is unethical and terrible quality.

Absolutely support the above statement. Although this of course is no longer relevant. However, I used TruAudio speakers for about 3 years. I understood that the sound was not the best, but somehow I didn’t think that everything was so bad until I went to a friend and heard the sound of his speakers. So I googled the question and found some stereo receiver reviews (https://besttechexpert.guide//best-stereo-receiver/), and as it turned out, my old receiver just didn’t support them adequately. But having made a complete upgrade of the audio system, I am glad and do not regret the money spent.