Jack White verdict. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jack White verdict.

Finch Platte
03-11-2004, 07:14 PM
The guy assaults someone and gets fined $750? Jeezus.

Maybe he should be playing hockey, eh, Canada? :rolleyes:

fp

Why is this place loading so slowly? And sometimes it says the server is too busy...? Anyone else finding this?

ForeverAutumn
03-12-2004, 06:15 AM

fp

Why is this place loading so slowly? And sometimes it says the server is too busy...? Anyone else finding this?

I haven't found the site any slower than usual, but I did get the "server busy" message yesterday.

I don't think that either of our legal systems take assault charges seriously enough. I don't know the full story of what happened with Jack White so I can't comment on whether the penalty is fair or not. But I thought that the hockey incident that you are referring to was totally disgusting and Bertruzzi should be charged with assault. If he hunted down Moore and punched him like that off the ice, he would have been charged. I don't think that he should be exempt because he did it on the ice. This is the furthest thing from good sportsmanship that I have ever seen. This should not be excused as being part of the game. A body check into the boards is part of the game. A sucker punch and shove to the ground is not.

I know I've gone off topic. But, hey, you brought it up. :)

MindGoneHaywire
03-12-2004, 08:05 AM
The Bertuzzi incident to me is way more about the shove to the ice. In the past few days I've seen Bertuzzi's weight given as anywhere between 225 & 245 pounds. Remembering the McSorley-Brashear incident, I think that actually looked more vicious, at least as far as the sucker punch. Ditto Tie Domi decking Scott Niedermayer with an elbow a couple of years ago--in the playoffs. I've seen Bertuzzi pull a couple of dirty stunts over the years, enough to where I thought of him as being in a class with Bryan Marchment. Ironic that Tony Granato is now the coach of the Avalanche--formerly coached by Marc Crawford, Vancouver's coach, right? I never saw this side of him when he was with the Rangers, but after being traded to the Kings I remember reading in the Village Voice some columnist saying that he was the dirtiest, most chickensh*t player in North America. Not long after that, he did something that rendered that statement truthful. When you don't see a lot of Kings games it'd be hard to tell, but he pulled something that was way out of bounds, and it made the highlights all over the place.

I'm not sure what the appropriate penalty for Bertuzzi is. But I'm not interested in hearing what people who are not hockey fans have to say about it. The B.C. authorities can handle the criminal end of it just fine without their ill-informed input. The sucker punch by itself would've warranted at least a 10-game suspension, or should've, anyway. That shove to the ice, and Bertuzzi's continued assault even after Moore had gone down, is probably the worst thing I've ever seen happen on the ice. I'm not in favor of banning fighting, and I'm one who believes that the 'third-man-in' rule has resulted in more violence against skill players in addition to cutting down on fighting between enforcers. If anyone doesn't believe that, then they didn't see what Stu Grimson used to do to Wayne Gretzky.

ForeverAutumn
03-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Here's the solution that I would like to see. The attacker should be suspended for, at least, as long as the injured player is out. If you cause a career-ending injury, then you're out of the league. If the injured player loses a season, then your suspension is a season.

This would be enforced only for incidents where a malicious attack was obvious such as the Bertruzzi/Moore or McSorley/Brashear incidents.

I'm not a fan of fighting in any sport. But being a hockey fan and a lacrosse fan I recognize that emotions run high and fights are going to happen. Heck, I've even been know to cheer at the odd fight. But it's one thing to pull off the gloves and let your opponent know it's coming. It's another thing altogether to sneak attack from behind or start swinging your stick. Start giving out more severe punishments, suspend a few players for long terms or life, and players will start to think about whether what they're about to do is worth sacrificing their careers over.

tentoze
03-12-2004, 02:34 PM

fp

Never seen a picture of the Von Bondies singer that got thumped, but he must be a real candy-a$$ if stick-boy Jack was able to take him.

;)

MindGoneHaywire
03-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Tentoze, that was exactly what I've been thinking ever since it happened & I never questioned it on any boards & never saw it brought up, either. Unless his appearance on television is deceptive in some way, he just doesn't look like a bruiser to me. Just goes to show that you can never tell.

Gresh
03-13-2004, 05:08 AM
The Bertuzzi incident to me is way more about the shove to the ice. In the past few days I've seen Bertuzzi's weight given as anywhere between 225 & 245 pounds. Remembering the McSorley-Brashear incident, I think that actually looked more vicious, at least as far as the sucker punch. Ditto Tie Domi decking Scott Niedermayer with an elbow a couple of years ago--in the playoffs. I've seen Bertuzzi pull a couple of dirty stunts over the years, enough to where I thought of him as being in a class with Bryan Marchment. Ironic that Tony Granato is now the coach of the Avalanche--formerly coached by Marc Crawford, Vancouver's coach, right? I never saw this side of him when he was with the Rangers, but after being traded to the Kings I remember reading in the Village Voice some columnist saying that he was the dirtiest, most chickensh*t player in North America. Not long after that, he did something that rendered that statement truthful. When you don't see a lot of Kings games it'd be hard to tell, but he pulled something that was way out of bounds, and it made the highlights all over the place.

I'm not sure what the appropriate penalty for Bertuzzi is. But I'm not interested in hearing what people who are not hockey fans have to say about it. The B.C. authorities can handle the criminal end of it just fine without their ill-informed input. The sucker punch by itself would've warranted at least a 10-game suspension, or should've, anyway. That shove to the ice, and Bertuzzi's continued assault even after Moore had gone down, is probably the worst thing I've ever seen happen on the ice. I'm not in favor of banning fighting, and I'm one who believes that the 'third-man-in' rule has resulted in more violence against skill players in addition to cutting down on fighting between enforcers. If anyone doesn't believe that, then they didn't see what Stu Grimson used to do to Wayne Gretzky.

If memory serves correctly, Gretzky skated alongside Dave Semenko aka "Cement Head" to keep the nonsense and cheap shots to a minimum.
BTW...Don't Hockey Players seem to have the best nicknames?

MindGoneHaywire
03-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Gretzky skated alongside Dave Semenko aka "Cement Head" to keep the nonsense and cheap shots to a minimum.

When he was with the Rangers he had no such protection, which made no sense. He took way more sh*t than he should've had to by guys like Grimson who were presumably looking to make a name for themselves.

Gresh
03-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Gretzky skated alongside Dave Semenko aka "Cement Head" to keep the nonsense and cheap shots to a minimum.

When he was with the Rangers he had no such protection, which made no sense. He took way more sh*t than he should've had to by guys like Grimson who were presumably looking to make a name for themselves.

True enough - however, the Rangers of that time frame (I believe Gretzky was around 96 -99?) the Rangers had a few enforcer types. Shane Churla and Darren Langdon were the main designated tough guys and somewhere in there Eric Cairns came along. The player who seemed to me to go out of his way to protect Gretzky (and Messier - not that he needed it) was my all time favorite Ranger - Adam Graves.

With regard to the whole Bertuzzi situation - I propose this scenario to you - in addition Bertuzzi's and the coaches blame (most of it), I am suprised with the actions (or inactions) of Moore's teammates. Here's my thought. Payback for the hit on Naslund was expected - although it seemed to be a pretty clean (yet hard and aggressive) hit by Moore who by all accounts is a player with limited skill who plays hard yet clean. Moore did drop the gloves and fight a Canucks player early on - I might add - his first ever NHL fight. That should have squared matters between Canucks and Moore. Bertuzzi, who has a reputation as a punk and a bully (I watched him as an Islander) tried goading Moore into a second fight. At this point, one of Moore's tougher teammates should have seen what was going on and stepped in. Heck, the coach should have seen what was happening and had another player intervene. The Avs should not have let this thing escalate with Moore. Hockey is a rough sport and you depend heavily on your teammates - You seem like a Rangers fan - haven't you been frustrated at how few times the so called tough guys have stuck up for the skill players?
I digress. Black eye for the sport.

BTW...Stu Grimson's nickname...The Grim Reaper. Read an article on him - he's supposed to be a real decent guy off ice lots of charity work with kids and all.