System Make Over [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : System Make Over

blackraven
10-01-2008, 05:11 PM
As I posted previously, I recently purchased a Parasound Halo A21 amp and I'll talk more about it in a minute. But I also just bought a Van Alstine Hybrid Tube/Solid state Ultra DAC. http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/dac/transcendence_dac.htm

I auditioned my parasound and adcom over at his in home studio and originally bought his new T-8 all Tube DAC which is not listed on his web site yet. I also took home his Insight preamp to audition. The T-8 DAC was just too laid back for my magnepans. It did warm up the sound but highs seemed a litle rolled off. The preamp did not sound much different then the adcoms hooked up to the DAC so I returned it.

I ended up returning the T-8 DAC and took home the hybrid Ultra DAC which uses 2 NP6 Russian aircraft tubes for the output stage.

The difference is that it is more transparent with a more natural sound and huge sound stage. It is less fatiguing which is the biggest benefit.. I dont know if its worth the money because it is not dramatically different than the 840c. The thing is that in his studio my 840c sounded harsh with much less bottom end and much more fatiguing than on my system. I think its the fact that I'm using Magnepans and he is using Salk speakers http://www.salksound.com/ht3.shtml

My maggies cant compete in low frequecy and I think the Maggies are more forgiving. Room acoustics also play a role, but my room is all wood floors and glass and his is acoustically neutral.

One other thing I can say about his DAC is that floor noise is much lower and the sound stage is larger. So is it worth the $1700? I guess it is becuase my wife let me buy it for my 50th birthday along with the Parasound.

Now back to the Parasound A21. It has really transformed my sound. The dynamics are fantastic. Transients are unbeliveable. The dampening is >1100 and the dynamic power is 750wpc Music has never sounded so good. Bass is tight fast and deep and has really come alive. The QR1.6's love the clean power. The music is very transparent with a much larger sound stage. You can hear every nuance in the music. I have also yet to hear the sound break up when turned up to deafening levels.

So now my big decision is do I keep the 840c and continue to use it as a transport or do I sell it. I think I'll sell it and consider buying an SACDP. If anyone is interested in a 9 month old 840c PM me.

Mr Peabody
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
What made you decide on the A21 over the VA amp? Glad the A21 is working out.

blackraven
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
The VA amp was $2200 and I was able to find a discounted A21 for $1800. The VA hybrid amp has better bass and a more transparent sound but I dont think it would have made as much a difference in sound in my system because of the bass limitations of my Maggies going down to only 38-40Hz. His Salk speakers go down to about 29Hz(and they sounded even lower) and you could really tell that his amp had a little tighter bass and was slightly smoother.I did get to compare the A21 head to head with his amps. His amps certainly had better synergy with his equipment.

I may regret not buying his amp. But at least I have a better DAC and I think the fact that the music is less fatiguing, smoother and more liquid, then I will enjoy the music much more even if it is a subtle difference. ( if I would have kept the Marantz SA8001 SACDP I probably would not have even considered the DAC, but the 840c has much better detail and such sweet treble). I have to admit that the pre amp in my adcom is pretty good after all, at least in my house. I think I made the right decision. Frank Van Alstine's a believer that the music first starts with the source and that a good DAC is the way to go.

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
I love reading stories about characters that have been 'round a minute breathing new life into a system. Great read blackie and thanks for sharin'.

At some point I gotta get my as in gear and move beyond simple contentment (read:laziness) and get some tubage goin' on.

Happy 50th, btw.

Peace

---sticks

Mr Peabody
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Not a lot of price difference there. You are happy with the A21 though, that's what counts.

Source first? Where have I heard that before :)

blackraven
10-01-2008, 07:50 PM
My problem with the VA amp was that my adcom preamp and 840c sounded like crap in his studio with his speakers. I could believe the difference. But when I brought the Parasound over to his house and compaired it to his amp, the 840c didnt sound as bad. And when we ran his DAC, it sounded close enough to his amp that I decided to keep the Parasound. I had a chance to buy a 2004 Van Alstine Hybrid amp for $1100 and then upgrade it for $600 plus tax. I'm always leary about buying used equipment from an out of town seller, so I went with the A21.

The question that will be in the back of my mind is did I make the right decision in buying this new Ultra DAC (and return the all tube DAC which sounded a little too soft on Rock and Hard Blue's) which offers an ever so slightly more liquid, less fatiguing sound with a larger sound stage or should I have spent the money on a $3500 amp or even bought the used VA amp, his Solid State DAC and Pre-amp? I guess if I can get $900-1,000 for my 840c, then I will buy one of his preamps. I've recently looked at a Demo McCormack RLD-1 and Cayin SC-5LS preamp from spearit sound, but online reviews are just ok on these units.

One thing I have to say about the Van Alstine sound is that it has its own unique sound. Its certainly not digital and its not exactly tubey either. Its slightly warm very transparent and smooth. I havent found a fault with his sound. His all tube equipment has more of a classic tube sound. I prefer his hybrid stuff which is the most expensive and best sounding in my experience. But you can mix and match to tailor the sound to your taste. If I was starting from scratch, I think I would consider buying an all VA system. Its no frills and sounds better than most equipment costing hundreds to a couple of thousand more. Plus, he offers a full 30day refund if you dont like his gear. You should check out his forum the audiocircle and read what people have to say about his gear. He has a rather large following.

Feanor
10-02-2008, 02:21 AM

One thing I have to say about the Van Alstine sound is that it has its own unique sound. Its certainly not digital and its not exactly tubey either. Its slightly warm very transparent and smooth. I havent found a fault with his sound. His all tube equipment has more of a classic tube sound. I prefer his hybrid stuff which is the most expensive and best sounding in my experience. But you can mix and match to tailor the sound to your taste. If I was starting from scratch, I think I would consider buying an all VA system. Its no frills and sounds better than most equipment costing hundreds to a couple of thousand more. Plus, he offers a full 30day refund if you dont like his gear. You should check out his forum the audiocircle and read what people have to say about his gear. He has a rather large following.

I value your comments about AVA. A couple of years ago I gave serious consideration to the stuff but decided to go with the new Monarchy amps and a used Sonic Frontiers preamp; (the latter was cheaper mostly because SF is out of business, and also it has many more features including a fully balanced design which complements the Monarchys).

With you positive review, I'd give very serious consideration to the Insight DAC, although if your 840C where offered I consider that too. Unfortunately my system is "frozen" for the foreseable. (I just laid out $13k for the kids' fall semester.)

blackraven
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I feel your pain Feanor. My daughter's tuition at the University of Minnesota is $16K. And if I had not gotten a big pay raise this month then I would not have bought the new equipment.

I still may take back the DAC I bought because it sounds so similar to the 840c except for a slightly warmer less fatiguing sound with slightly larger sound stage. I'm not so sure its worth the money. I would hate to do that to Frank Van Alstine. He was very gracious allowing me to bring over my equipment on 3 different occasions to compare to his that I almost feel obligated to buy something from him. I wish I could hear the huge difference that his equipment made in his studio as compared to my home. His all tube T-8 DAC sounded very different but had too soft a sound in the upper frequencies in my home. His solid state insight DAC is excellent and gives the best bass out of the three DAC's but has less transparency and a slighly smaller presentation. Its well worth the money for $899. One more comment on his equipment. Its all hand made locally. I've met some of the people who build his equipment and they are all good people and tech heads. While I was over there they were soldering and building preamps and DAC's. It gave me alot more confidence then some minimum wage laborer in China!

I'm thinking that maybe I should have bought the BenchMark DAC or the new Marantz SA8003 SACDP instead. I still have 30 days to return his DAC.

For what its worth, I cant see that I can improve the sound of my system any more except for buying new speakers such as the Magnepan 3.6's. I dont think my room can handle their size though. The new amp has really made a huge difference in sound.

Feanor, I'll be holding on to the 840c for a while, If you decide you would like to purchase it, let me know.

Feanor
10-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Feanor, I'll be holding on to the 840c for a while, If you decide you would like to purchase it, let me know.

Too bad but don't hold it on my account. If I have any spare change -- which I won't -- I'd be finally getting an HDTV. No raise for me and in fact I'll be retiring in about 18 months.

pixelthis
10-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Too bad but don't hold it on my account. If I have any spare change -- which I won't -- I'd be finally getting an HDTV. No raise for me and in fact I'll be retiring in about 18 months.

If you're going plasma better hurry before it gets to the tar pits
with the other dinos.
CONGRATS, I know you're going to love the HD experience, and dont forget to budget a few hundred bucks for a Blu player:1: