Beautiful, the axe, that flies at me - Tunesday drags around its decaying carcass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful, the axe, that flies at me - Tunesday drags around its decaying carcass

Davey
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Some of my buddies will recognize that "beautiful, the axe" line from the amazing new "Ten Stones" Wovenhand record, and that has been a big part of the last week for me. Lots of borrowed experiences left to live in this one. That and the always inspiring "Devotion + Doubt" from Richard Buckner probably made up most of my weekly spins, the Buckner still an embarrassment of riches, and kind of an embarrassment if I was to truly disclose how much I listen to it. Do you have any records like that, ones that you still listen to over and over, even while some of the new stuff collects dust on their unopened cellophane wrappers. But I did give his next one "Since" a listen or two as well :)

And also remember a fun time had with Margaret Fielder and her Laika "Sounds of the Satellites". Another one that is never fully known.

But just saw some very encouraging words at Twisted Spork about the new Lucinda Williams record (and also some very nice words about the Wovenhand too). Very encouarging indeed, unless you think her last few records were the best she has done. Which isn't me.

http://twistedspork.blogspot.com/2008/08/struck-by-sounds-august-15th-2008.html

Slosh
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah, that Ten Stones is very good. Better than I expected too. I mean, I did expect to like it and all but it's way beyond what I anticipated it'd be.

Gave the new Decemberists EP a couple of spins but am not impressed. Not that it's awful or anything but I expect better from them.

Been debating on whether to d/l the leaked Mercury Rev album or not but think I'm just gonna wait for the real thing. Still waiting for some new Hellsayers. Seems like I've always been waitng for that one to drop.

Also been spinning Dear Science, a bunch too. Lots of Bowie, Eno, and Prince in there. Maybe a touch of Yo La Tengo as well. In fact. . . . .

NP:

Swish
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Some of my buddies will recognize that "beautiful, the axe" line from the amazing new "Ten Stones" Wovenhand record, and that has been a big part of the last week for me. Lots of borrowed experiences left to live in this one. That and the always inspiring "Devotion + Doubt" from Richard Buckner probably made up most of my weekly spins, the Buckner still an embarrassment of riches, and kind of an embarrassment if I was to truly disclose how much I listen to it. Do you have any records like that, ones that you still listen to over and over, even while some of the new stuff collects dust on their unopened cellophane wrappers. But I did give his next one "Since" a listen or two as well :)

And also remember a fun time had with Margaret Fielder and her Laika "Sounds of the Satellites". Another one that is never fully known.

But just saw some very encouraging words at Twisted Spork about the new Lucinda Williams record (and also some very nice words about the Wovenhand too). Very encouarging indeed, unless you think her last few records were the best she has done. Which isn't me.

http://twistedspork.blogspot.com/2008/08/struck-by-sounds-august-15th-2008.html

Like you, I was not impressed with her last few releases and longed to hear something new that was along the lines of Car Wheels. I hope this one is it. Sounds like I need the Wovenhand and Bruckner cds too. There goes the neighborhood.

Swish

Swish
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, that Ten Stones is very good. Better than I expected too. I mean, I did expect to like it and all but it's way beyond what I anticipated it'd be.

Gave the new Decemberists EP a couple of spins but am not impressed. Not that it's awful or anything but I expect better from them.

Been debating on whether to d/l the leaked Mercury Rev album or not but think I'm just gonna wait for the real thing. Still waiting for some new Hellsayers. Seems like I've always been waitng for that one to drop.

Also been spinning Dear Science, a bunch too. Lots of Bowie, Eno, and Prince in there. Maybe a touch of Yo La Tengo as well. In fact. . . . .

NP:

That one song it almost unlistenable and keeps repeating the same lines over and over and over. I had to skip through it actually. Bummer.

Swish
09-30-2008, 02:32 PM
So I've been listening to Ocean Rain and the new 97s cd 'Blame it on Gravity', and it's not bad at all. Also liking that new Willard Grant, although not quite as impressed with it as I'd hoped when compared to "...Shadows". Also getting into some recent comps; Bobsticks' Obscurity and 'Some Blues for You' from that Lovin' dude. Good stuff all.

Swishdaddy

jonnyhambone
09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
ahh, Ocean Rain is nice...that's the only Echo I have but it usually suffices when I get the urge for them. Been listening to a lot of the new Wovenhand...not as oppressive as Mosaic sometimes feels - a great album so far. Also picked up a reissue of Unhalfbricking by Fairport Convention from when they had Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson. What an excellent album. Pastoral folk that both rocks and embraces its dark side...not as madrigal-ly as they got later (think this one's from '69). Plus Sandy Denny has to have one of the more gorgeous voices.

Swish
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
ahh, Ocean Rain is nice...that's the only Echo I have but it usually suffices when I get the urge for them. Been listening to a lot of the new Wovenhand...not as oppressive as Mosaic sometimes feels - a great album so far. Also picked up a reissue of Unhalfbricking by Fairport Convention from when they had Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson. What an excellent album. Pastoral folk that both rocks and embraces its dark side...not as madrigal-ly as they got later (think this one's from '69). Plus Sandy Denny has to have one of the more gorgeous voices.

...the Echo show is at Radio City tomorrow night and they're doing Ocean Rain with a full orchestra as part of the 30th Anniversary of this outstanding record. We were very lucky to get tickets as it sold out in minutes.

Swish

3-LockBox
09-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I got a couple a comps in the mail and have been giving them plenty o'spin - Thanks Nobody and LdB.

I been luvin the new one from Lindsey Buckingham - Gift Of Screws. Its the album I've waited for, but it still takes a backseat to Out Of The Cradle. Still better than his Fleetwood Mac contributions from that last album and better than his last solo effort.

Kings Of Leon - Only By Night is a great album. This is my first album purchase by these guys and it warrants further investigation of their back catalog. I have of course heard other stuff by these guys through comps, so they're not totally new to me.

Band Of Horses - Cease To Begin flew under my radar last year, so I've been making up for lost time. This is another Seattle band, but they take their cues from My Morning Jacket, not unlike Fleet Foxes, who also use the reverb drenched vocal effect. Thought this BoH eschews the musical meandering and over indulgence that makes MMJ albums long in the tooth for me.

Woven Hand - Ten Stones...entertaining in places, but mostly moody, I don't know if the Jim Morrison sings The Cure motif works for an entire album for me. There are some sure MP3 rotation candidates here, such as Iron Feather and Kicking Bird. This may require the proper mood for listening, like the latest from Notwist does. Both play like a movie soundtrack.

ForeverAutumn
10-01-2008, 05:37 AM
I got a couple a comps in the mail and have been giving them plenty o'spin - Thanks Nobody and LdB.

I been luvin the new one from Lindsey Buckingham - Gift Of Screws. Its the album I've waited for, but it still takes a backseat to Out Of The Cradle. Still better than his Fleetwood Mac contributions from that last album and better than his last solo effort.

Kings Of Leon - Only By Night is a great album. This is my first album purchase by these guys and it warrants further investigation of their back catalog. I have of course heard other stuff by these guys through comps, so they're not totally new to me.

Band Of Horses - Cease To Begin flew under my radar last year, so I've been making up for lost time. This is another Seattle band, but they take their cues from My Morning Jacket, not unlike Fleet Foxes, who also use the reverb drenched vocal effect. Thought this BoH eschews the musical meandering and over indulgence that makes MMJ albums long in the tooth for me.

Woven Hand - Ten Stones...entertaining in places, but mostly moody, I don't know if the Jim Morrison sings The Cure motif works for an entire album for me. There are some sure MP3 rotation candidates here, such as Iron Feather and Kicking Bird. This may require the proper mood for listening, like the latest from Notwist does. Both play like a movie soundtrack.

Look at you going all Indie-Hipster-Dude on me.

I haven't bought anything new for a while so I've been revisiting some of my favourites from the last couple of years.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction and Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Decemberists - The Crane Wife (only spun the EP once so far and agree with the other comments here).
Threshold - S/T
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
And of course I'm still spinning that Brian Vander Ark disk that I'm so enamored by and no-one will admit to sending me.

I received a copy of the new Al Stewart CD compliments of my big bruddah yesterday and after one spin, it sounds like it's a good one.

And lastly, I've been spinning Ray Lamontagne. I'm looking forward to his new one. Only six more sleeps until the live show next Tuesday.

3-LockBox
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Look at you going all Indie-Hipster-Dude on me.

Not really. I doubt any of the titles I mention will boost any hipster status I may or may not have.

I'm not off the prog wagon, but I haven't listened to any prog titles in a few weeks. There are a few new offerings on the horizon I'm looking forward to though.

bobsticks
10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I haven't bought anything new for a while so I've been revisiting some of my favourites from the last couple of years.

Same here. I'm not finding the third quarter to be nearly as inspiring as the first two. So, inkeeping with Monkey D's querry, yes, I'm revisiting all those beloved oldies and more.

Yeah, the new Calexico still makes the cut 'round these parts, and those last Nick Cave and Bog Blue Ball albums too but there's been a fair amount of older stuff from Sixteen Horsepower to New Order getting the nod as well. Of course lotsa jazz, always...always. I'd say this year the only genre in general that as been eglected is classical. I suspect the fast pace of the year has limited my concentration...sufficient time to truly sit down and immerse one's self is not at a premium. Curiously, I currently feel the same way about Rook which I am still impressed with and feel positively about but sometimes I look at it and feel like I'm lacking the stamina to really give it a go. It's an album that demands attention.

I'd been thinking about posting this experience in ye ol' Song Du Jour thread but that's basically becoming a slow-moving blog between MidFi and myself...so here goes:

I pulled out The Cult's Love disc the other morning. It's a fantastic disc of neuvo wave, alt-punk, pseudo goth, 70's hippie-dippie, shamanism...try and get yer arms around that. Unfortunately it's rife with all the incumbent accoutrements of 1980's production technique and the reverb-laden, changy guitars can sound, ahem, a bit caustic on a revealing system. This doesn't get a lot of play in the big rig.

But in the car, mang, this thing comes alive with a bit of <gasp> tone control and the bump of a big sub. Completely un-audiophilic, eh? Here's a taste of the tunes and some associated information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qJ0UdJjLo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_f-VJdAzwA&feature=related

http://www.spazshare.com/ims/pic398uExXH_11412.jpg

--sticks

3-LockBox
10-01-2008, 03:11 PM
^ I liked The Cult, also cut from that same Doors/Joy Division/Cure mold in the beginning, then they got all INXSive with the rock band thing. Sonic Temple was a serious stab at commercial metal, but when Ceremony came out, I lost interest. When I first heard Edie (Ciao Baby) from the Sonic Temple album on the radio, I thought I was listening to a new INXS single. 'If' was a good song, but the rest of Ceremony sounded like Mother Love Bone.

jonnyhambone
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
...the Echo show is at Radio City tomorrow night Swish

congrats on pickin' up some good tix. I saw them with Gene Loves Jezebel (whose 'Immigrant' is still a pretty great album) and New Order in, what, 1986?
I'm also a new convert to 'Cease to Begin' from Band of Horses...I thought they must be overhyped but this is a great album that I finally just picked up last week...parts My Morning Jacket-feel and part Palace rambles. Good stuff.
Been spinnin' a lot of Wire and Wovenhand 'cause I'm going to see both these bands in the next couple weeks.

Stone
10-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Gene Loves Jezebel (whose 'Immigrant' is still a pretty great album) .

That is a good album, and one I haven't listened to in years. I always liked Discover a bit better, but I will have to see if I still have a cassette copy of Immigrant around and listen to it sometime soon.

Davey
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I didn't care much for the last Mercury Rev CD, just not very interesting and devoid of anything that might be thought jarring, almost easy listening. And not that anyone familiar with Dave Fridmann's work needs to be told, but way too LOUD! Glad the Hellsayers' record wasn't like that, but just checked and there doesn't seem to be any news on the latest one, been quite awhile since the last news. Kind of discouraging when you do a search, and only get a little over a page of hits, and a few of the hits are links to silly stuff that I've said around here. Oh well, still wish them the best and hope they get a deal to put it out. I'm pretty sure it's all done.

Still listening a bunch to the Bon Iver record too, and still think it is top notch start to finish. What a talent, great songwriting and production, mastered nice too. Refreshing, and it really does get better with each listen. Gonna be tough for him to do something like this again, something that so captures a little place in time with so many people. Should be like one of those Nick Drake records that continues to shimmer many years after the tide goes out, kind of quaint and fragile, but full of wonder. Don't know yet if there will be CDs from this era remembered far into the future, once all of the people like us have passed on.

3-LockBox
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd be remiss if I failed to mention how much I love the latest Elbow. Don't know if any of utes care for this music, but I love it - atmospheric, dynamic mood, leans toward the art rock of older Peter Gabriel and the newer aesthetic of Porcupine Tree, with a nod to Radiohead. Like I've said before, this band is what Marillion has been trying to be over their last few albums.

Mr MidFi
10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
My two latest acquisitions are the Foxboro Hot Tubs (aka Green Day incognito) and the last one from The Dears, Gang of Losers. The former is a pure blast of faux mid-60s invasion revival...nothing too challenging, but as fun as a packet of Pop Rocks.

The latter is, well, I'm not quite ready to say yet. I picked this one up because they're opening for the Secret Machines three weeks from tonight, and I wanted to be at least somewhat familiar. (And btw, about the headliner...their new one drops on 10/24.)

And you know that new Beck? The one I liked at first, then it faded big-time on me? Well, I'm back to liking it again. So there.

Stone
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Lately I've been listening to Vivian Girls, the Fugazi Peel Sessions, and the Beach Boy's Sunflower.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-03-2008, 10:26 AM
congrats on pickin' up some good tix. I saw them with Gene Loves Jezebel (whose 'Immigrant' is still a pretty great album) and New Order in, what, 1986?
I'm also a new convert to 'Cease to Begin' from Band of Horses...I thought they must be overhyped but this is a great album that I finally just picked up last week...parts My Morning Jacket-feel and part Palace rambles. Good stuff.
Been spinnin' a lot of Wire and Wovenhand 'cause I'm going to see both these bands in the next couple weeks.

I'm seeing Wire tomorrow night, so I've been having an Object 47 and Read & Burn III kind of week.

I also listened some to Wilco's Sky Blue Sky, and Super Furry Animals Venus, Nick Cave's Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and some others too.

3-LockBox
10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Secret Machines (their new one drops on 10/24.)

I have their debut, but then they sorta drop off the radar. Kinda neuvo art rock if I remember right - I haven't listened to it in a long time...maybe it's time to whip it out (the CD) and give it a spin.

3-LockBox
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Regarding the new Kings of Leon...I'll bet this a rather polarizing album, since they've all but ditched the jangle angle, and are now pursuing the arena rock thing, which means they are evolving or regressing, however you want to look at it. I guess you could say they got tired of aping The Strokes. This is not to say they're unidentifiable. Lead vox are still distinctly KoL. I like this album's broadened scope, but some may find it too much of a diversion. It is a different critter from their early stuff.