Week 7: 25 Best Live Records of All Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 7: 25 Best Live Records of All Time

Swish
09-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Gee, 7 down and 18 to go. Ain't we got fun? Anyway, this week's choice is a decent one, but I'm sure many of you haven't heard it and will be scratching your heads.

19. Take No Prisoners--Lou Reed: Before Last Comic Standing there weren’t many opportunities for young comedians to break into the biz. Lou Reed had some success as a songwriter and David Bowie thought enough of him to borrow a few ideas, but Reed hadn’t explored his comic side. So with this two-LP double album, Reed cued up a bunch of his more recognizable tunes, turned the backing band on, and started talking over these songs with lots of odd one-liners and insults that make you wonder if you’re listening to a rock 'n’ roll band or participating in a celebrity roast.

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
09-30-2008, 04:13 AM
This one deserves its ranking. Long one of my favorite live recs, way better than Rock And Roll Animal. Best version of Sweet Jane ever. And the long version of Walk On The Wild Side is pretty unbelievable too with Lou Reed berating rock critics & the music business in general, and Robert Christgau specifically, all about how the fans never have access to the best seats, as they're reserved instead for these guys...who, when you work on a record for a year, they give you a C+ or something. "F*ck you! I don't need you to tell me I'm good!"

A bit different from most stage patter, that's for sure. But it's a good, solid Lou Rec anyway & it has more going for it than Live In Italy or Animal Serenade, both of which I like. Rock And Roll Animal was just always strangely overrated to my ears.

Mr MidFi
09-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Rock And Roll Animal was just always strangely overrated to my ears.

Yeah, it's a love it or hate it proposition. I don't even consider it a Lou Reed album. It's more like a reconstruction of his best-loved works by a cracker-jack band of 70's-style hard rock hired guns, with a hopelessly drug-addled Lou propped up in front howling off-key. But damn...those guys can freakin' play. I love it, but I can definitely understand hating it.

Take No Prisoners provides a fascinating counterpoint, as Mr. Sarcastic Lou steps in front and center. This one should have been titled "Rock N Roll Douchebag". He probably would have preferred that. But it's undeniable that the actual spirit of the songs themselves are far better served on this disc. It's all about Lou and his songs, and the wankery is keep to an absolute minimum.

Both discs are worth owning, for very different reasons. Ranking this one at #19 on the all-time list...yeah, that eyeballs about right. Give or take.