Looking to replace my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Dr_Asik
09-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello, I am looking to replace my set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers with something vastly superior. I have done quite a bit of research already, but I there are many options and I'm entirely new to home audio.

So without further ado, here are my requirements :

What : stereo bookshelf speakers
For : music - classical, electro; and video games
Where : on my computer desk, in my bedroom.
Price : total price of everything including everything < 600$

I have a few technical questions.
- Most speakers seem to require an external amplifier. However there are stereo amplifiers, "integrated" amplifiers, pre-amps, receivers, etc., and I am confused as to what I really need. I understand that the quality of the amplifier can play a large role on the final output, however my budget is limited so I'd rather spend mainly on the speakers.
- All I have at the rear of my computer are your standard headphone jacks. What do I need in terms of connectors and cables?

So far, I have found the Beringher Truth B2030P to fit the bill perfectly, at 200$ shipped on eBay. I can't find many reviews of them however. The Totem Mites were also highly recommended, but they are hard to find. Then Klipsch have a large selection that many people seem to like a lot, along with B&W. I also probably need an amplifier and on this side I'm totally open to all suggestions. What would you choose if you had my budget?

Brick Top
10-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I just got a set of Swan m200's. I got them used for less than $100...but they are only $299 new. Great sound for PC speakers. Very heavy and bulky for a comp desk though.

No amp needed...as it's built in. No sub...but I don't think you need it for comp listening.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
BT

02audionoob
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Most electronics stores will have a cable to split the 3.5mm audio output on your sound card into left and right RCA plugs.

http://search.beachaudio.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=3.5mm+rca&x=0&y=0

You can put that on the inputs of a preamp, receiver, integrated amp or an amp with a level control. From there, you just connect any speakers that are suitable for your amp. Your options are really wide open. There are quality amps and speakers of all sorts within your budget and superior to the ProMedia 2.1.

Here's the amp I use for my computer...AudioSource AMP 100:

http://search.beachaudio.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=audiosource+amp+100

The amp senses the signal and turns itself on and off. It has two sets of inputs, which sense the signal and automatically determine which source to play. I run the speaker wires through a subwoofer and then to a pair of wall-mount speakers right behind my monitor.

Preferences on these items are subjective. No one can tell you what you'll like. But I would suggest checking out the little Polk speakers, like the LSi7. Maybe you could get them in your price range on that world-famous auction site.

RoadRunner6
10-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't know if this poster will be back. However, for any one else with a $600 budget for computer speakers, sub and amps, don't think one can beat this system from Axiom Audio for $528.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/audiobytecomputerspeakers.html

RR6

Wits
11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
He was using the Pro Media's (computer speakers) for a home system?

Vewwy intewesting...:idea:I shoulda gotta set of Pro Media Ultra 5.1 and been done with my setup! :biggrin5: