Page load times [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Page load times

Rich-n-Texas
09-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I'd say this is the biggest complaint that needs to be addressed admins. I can read almost an entire thread at the AVS forums while waiting for a page to load here. That should tell ya two things shouldn't it?

Smokey
09-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I think what make loading AR page so long is because of all advertisement that are embedded in the browser. So you need to turn off ActiveX, Java and Scripting in your browser. With those options off, AR page will load like a flash :)

Rich-n-Texas
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I think what make loading AR page so long is because of all advertisement that are embedded in the browser. So you need to turn off ActiveX, Java and Scripting in your browser. With those options off, AR page will load like a flash :)
I understand Smokey but that's a bandaid solution, and I don't feel that I should be inconvenienced in that manner. I use tabbed browsing with I.E. and AFAIK, if you turn those controls off you're turning them off for all open pages.

I do agree though that because of the way ads are displayed here, which I think someone pointed out as links embedded in the page, that is one source of slow load times. Don't you think though that the ads being at fault make people even more frustrated to the point of moving on to a faster and less greed driven website?

L.J.
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I had this problem 'til I took Wooch's advice and switched to Firefox. It's been lightning fast ever since.

Rich-n-Texas
09-29-2008, 02:20 PM
:mad5:
You're not supposed to encourage such bad behavior here.

The 2nd sentence sounded like a commercial for DishTV. :nonod:

nightflier
09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
The sky may have fallen, but on this I completely agree with Tex. I'm running Firefox with the Flash Block add-on, but even so, the AR pages are loading slower every month. I think the ads are also becoming larger as the advertisers figure people have the hardware to support it. My form of protest is to never, ever, ever click on an ad in a page. I figure if enough people do the same, maybe the advertisers will back off.

Smokey
09-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I understand Smokey but that's a bandaid solution, and I don't feel that I should be inconvenienced in that manner. I use tabbed browsing with I.E. and AFAIK, if you turn those controls off you're turning them off for all open pages.

I don't know about other browsers, but in I.E.6 you can be selective as to for which web sites you can turn off Java, Script and ActiveX options. This way you don't have to turn those options off permanently.

Here is how do to do it:

Copy the AR forum address from address bar
Then in IE menu, click on Tools and then Internet Options
Click on Security, and then click on Trusted Sites
Then click on Sites.., and copy the AR address in the bar labeled "Add This Web Site to the Zone" (make sure Require Server Verification is not checked).
While still in the Security tab, in the Security for this zone, choose the "High" security level. And then OK
This will turn off those options for AR web site only, and will not effect other web sites.

Hope that helped.

Woochifer
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't know about other browsers, but in I.E.6 you can be selective as to for which web sites you can turn off Java, Script and ActiveX options. This way you don't have to turn those options off permanently.

Here is how do to do it:

Copy the AR forum address from address bar
Then in IE menu, click on Tools and then Internet Options
Click on Security, and then click on Trusted Sites
Then click on Sites.., and copy the AR address in the bar labeled "Add This Web Site to the Zone" (make sure Require Server Verification is not checked).
While still in the Security tab, in the Security for this zone, choose the "High" security level. And then OK
This will turn off those options for AR web site only, and will not effect other web sites.

Hope that helped.

Eeek! :eek:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just leave IE behind and use Firefox instead? Even without the AdBlock and FlashBlock extensions installed, it's faster (and more secure) than IE. And the latest builds for Safari (which uses the same open source WebKit engine as the new Google Chrome browser) are purportedly even faster.

Feanor
10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Really slow, much more so than most pages. I suspect it's gobs of Java script plus slow servers.

Contrary to popular opinion I didn't find Firefox 3 to be much advantage; on the contrary it had some quirky behaviors especially here at AR.

A year or so ago I tried Safari. It was much faster. I think because it is very fast with Java script. However it too had quirky behaviors not just with AR, so I'm back to IE 7.