Nobody but me watching....True Blood [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nobody but me watching....True Blood

Worf101
09-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Quirky, dirty and strange, but not since "Carnivale" has an HBO series been so nasty. I like it.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
09-29-2008, 05:44 AM
My wife's had a thing for Vampire anythings for as long as I've known her so I was told we were watching this series...At first I was a bit worried, but this show has something for everyone :D

Gotta admit,'twas a tad bit awkward watching the first few episodes with her mother :shocked:

I also throroughly enjoyed "Generation Kill"...

Troy
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Like Kex, my wife has a thing for vampires too. She absolutely loves it, and she normally doesn't go for stuff this trashy and gratuitous.

I've read all the major vampire books and seen all the movies, so I know the lore and mythology pretty well. I like this show overall and am enjoying many of the strange characters in it, but have a problem with the whole premise overall:

The vampires have 'come out of the coffin' and want equal rights with humanity. But why would they do that? Vampires can do pretty much anything they want to with humans; they can control puny human minds easily, they can become incredibly rich off their human slaves and they can walk the earth undetected. The world is theirs already, humans just don't know it. Why would they want to give up their ability to have their way with humanity, to drink bad tasting fake blood and have a disco?

It's a clever twist on the vampire/human dynamic, but it defies logic.

Worf101
09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Like Kex, my wife has a thing for vampires too. She absolutely loves it, and she normally doesn't go for stuff this trashy and gratuitous.

I've read all the major vampire books and seen all the movies, so I know the lore and mythology pretty well. I like this show overall and am enjoying many of the strange characters in it, but have a problem with the whole premise overall:

The vampires have 'come out of the coffin' and want equal rights with humanity. But why would they do that? Vampires can do pretty much anything they want to with humans; they can control puny human minds easily, they can become incredibly rich off their human slaves and they can walk the earth undetected. The world is theirs already, humans just don't know it. Why would they want to give up their ability to have their way with humanity, to drink bad tasting fake blood and have a disco?

It's a clever twist on the vampire/human dynamic, but it defies logic.
You do point out the main flaw quite well. Also, when, how did they decide this "coming out"? Did they go to the Super Dome and have a convention? Put it on a ballot somewhere? You're right, I don't see what they gain from coming out cept maybe the desire to stop being hunted, but were they still being systematically hunted? Good questions.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
09-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I think there's "reason" for the coming out party...my guess is they're dying off somehow or there's some internal conflict in Vamp society...who knows...that'll come out with time.

Or it's just a well executed, but poorly conceived concept...either way.

That said - this is more of a weird comedy thing than the evolution of the vampire story isn't it?

Sometimes logic makes for boring, predictable TV.

dean_martin
09-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I've been watching this (except for missing last night's episode which we dvr'd and will probably re-air at least 10 times before this Sunday). Anyhow, my wife and I have been watching it together but she is getting a little squeamish. She still likes the non-vampire characters.

I think it's entertaining. No analysis from me yet - just along for the weird ride right now. The opening credits/montage and theme music are cool. The singer/band has an early Chris Isaac(sp?)/Rev. Horton Heat rockabilly sound that really fits. Not sure who does the opening theme yet.

nightflier
09-29-2008, 03:41 PM
The opening credits/montage and theme music are cool. The singer/band has an early Chris Isaac(sp?)/Rev. Horton Heat rockabilly sound that really fits. Not sure who does the opening theme yet.

...we sure have gone far afield from the Bram Stoker / Vlad the Impaler origins, I take it. I guess that all came crashing down during the Lost Boys to Blade period....

By the way, if you like blood & suspense but sans the fantasy / fairy-tale aspect, Showtime's Dexter might be right up your alley....

thekid
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I have caught all the episodes when on the road. Interesting concept but we will need to see where they are going. Not really breaking new ground here and the twist it does have is flawed as has been pointed out. I suspect they will go the traditional route and develop conflict between the vampire/non-vampire community and then go the with the Romeo-Juliet theme of doomed lovers.

JohnMichael
09-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I love True Blood. We plan our Sunday on being home to watch it. Glued to the screen and surprised an hour can pass so quickly.

eisforelectronic
10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I just like Anna Paquin.

Worf101
10-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Well we're 5 weeks in and I for one hope this series lasts more'n 2 years. The last HBO series I took a shine to didn't make it. "Rome" "Carnivale" "Deadwood" etc.... I'm really effin' sick of getting all emotionally involved with a series only to have it die in front of my face. At least they saved "The Wire" from a premature burial. I'm loving this series and have some observations.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

1. They shouldn't a killed off Granny, she added too much to the show.

2. The Bar Owner, Sam Melotte is a shape shifter. He's that dog you see hanging around Sookie all the time.

3. Sam Melotte is also the one killing the girls who've gone vamp. The reason? I believe his mom was esanguinated or bitten by a vamp while preagnant with him. As a result he has shape shifitng abilities but hates vamps.

4. Sam also might have killed Sookie's gramma for helping the vamp "appear normal" and fit in.

Just my observations and theories.

Da Worfster

Troy
10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, my wife was pissed they killed granny too. That's what she gets for bringing a vampire to church. I've thought for a couple of weeks that the bar owner was the killer . . .

dean_martin
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah...it seems a little too soon to kill off granny.

agreed...somethin's up with Sam. we learned this week (after his rollin' round in Dawn's bed with latex gloves at the end of last episode) that no one in town knows his past. I won't venture any guesses, but excellent observation about the dog there, Worf.

obviously hooked on this one. still need to find out who does the theme music.

AVMASTER
10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Jace Everett country/western singer
album: Jace Everett
song: Bad Things

dean_martin
10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Jace Everett country/western singer
album: Jace Everett
song: Bad Things
Thanks!

Worf101
10-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Wow... interesting episode... Didn't like the strangulation thing though. But I won't go any further so as NOT to spoil anyone's viewing. No coffin eh?

Da Worfster

dean_martin
10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah, it was good. couldn't tell whether main murder-mystery plot was advanced much but we learned more about characters. only problem I had was 3 sexual encounters at same time was how last episode ended.

Oh, BTW, what is the proper etiquette on full discussion of episodes? Is there a waiting period?

Worf101
10-15-2008, 04:17 AM
yeah, it was good. couldn't tell whether main murder-mystery plot was advanced much but we learned more about characters. only problem I had was 3 sexual encounters at same time was how last episode ended.

Oh, BTW, what is the proper etiquette on full discussion of episodes? Is there a waiting period?
I just don't know. I think waitin' to Weds, like we've done is cool. If you reveal twists or alike, perhaps we should put "SPOILER ALERT" in the title. I'm not aware of any "formal" rules for alertage, least wise not round here.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
10-15-2008, 04:46 AM
HBO is replaying the first three episodes next week (Thursday I think). I have a free month of HBO so I'm setup to record these. All the talk here has made me curious about this show. I just glanced over the spoiler post by Worf; Granny got snuffed but that's all I read.

See y'all next week.

Worf101
11-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Seems I was right about our friend Mr. Merlotte...

I love the whole "demon" backstory, I think it's wonderful.

These vampires die in disgusting ways, way disgusting ways.

Love this show and hope it comes back for many more years.

Da Worfster

JohnMichael
11-04-2008, 07:41 AM

Da Worfster

You are correct Sir. I was quite surprised to see him the next morning. I was also feeling sympathy for the older chubby vampire that was kidnapped. Coming out late in life can be tough I hear.

Demonic possession has also been an interest of mine along with vampires. Yes this show should last a long time. It has it all, vampires, shape shifters, possessed people, sex and partial nudity. Something for everyone. I thnk I will miss the bald muscular vampire.

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 07:58 AM

Da Worfster
I like this show too. Very good premise and sub-plots. I think because of this show and other HBO programs I'm going to subscribe to the FIOS HBO package I had for free in October.

BTW, I'm sure everyone realizes that Lizzie Caplan (Amy) was in the movie "Cloverfield" right? She's HOT as a firecracker!!! :yikes:

Troy
11-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Yep, still loving it.

Good call on Sam, Worf.

Haas anyone been tempted to try any of the Sookie Stackhouse books because of this show?

Rich-n-Texas
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Of course not. I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship the book of photgraphy you had published.

dean_martin
11-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Da Worfster

yep! you called it. In the lead up to Sunday night's epi they said "only 3 episodes left". I sure hope they meant for the season {or maybe I mis-heard}.

dean_martin
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Yep, still loving it.

Good call on Sam, Worf.

Haas anyone been tempted to try any of the Sookie Stackhouse books because of this show?

been tempted but haven't tried them yet. Southern Gothic was my favorite genre back in college and this series appears to have some of the strangeness from the genre classics with a little straight up horror thrown in for good measure.

my wife is reading the "Twilight" vampire books - movie coming soon - but I don't think that series could possibly highlight the charater flaws we see in a good ol' southern yarn.

Worf101
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
I like the different powers and DISabilities vampires in this universe have or dont have.

1. They CAN see themselves in mirrors.

2. Only a select few can shape shift and then usually into only one beast.

3. They are fast and strong but CAN'T fly as a rule.

4. They can 'glam" or mesmorize their victims.

5. "V" or vampire blood when ingested by the unbitten or well is the ultimate mind expanding drug.

6. Silver can harm, bind and kill vamps.

7. Wooden stake to the heart see above.

8. They can sense those who've harmed or killed other vampires.

9. They've a strict hirearchy based on age and power.

10. There ARE penalties for vamps killing their own.

Anything I missed?

Da Worfster

Whoops almost missed the biggest one.... Crosses don't affect them.

Rich-n-Texas
11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
They like sex with humans.

dean_martin
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
The first season was excellent, but it's a looooong time 'til Summer!

What's the new shape-shifter's angle?

There's no chemistry between Sookie and Sam like there is between Sookie and Bill, but the show still seems to be setting up Sookie's choice between the two. Looks like an easy one to me.

Is Lafayette gone for good?

Will Jason pay for killing that vamp? Will he go off the deep end with those Sun worshippers?

What's next for Tara...Sam? new shape-shifter's disciple?

Worf101
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
The first season was excellent, but it's a looooong time 'til Summer!

What's the new shape-shifter's angle?

There's no chemistry between Sookie and Sam like there is between Sookie and Bill, but the show still seems to be setting up Sookie's choice between the two. Looks like an easy one to me.

Is Lafayette gone for good?

Will Jason pay for killing that vamp? Will he go off the deep end with those Sun worshippers?

What's next for Tara...Sam? new shape-shifter's disciple?
All good if not telling questions.

On Bill Vs. Sam - Bill, no contest. Their sex is what keeps women coming (no pun intended) back week in and week out. They're NOT gonna mess with that.

Lafayettes either badly drained or a vampire. One or the other, he's too good a character to just lose.

Jason, has a LOOOOONG way to go. He' s just so dumb so typical he's GOT to move forward. Don't like the fact that he kicked the V juice so easy though.

Pig Lady has one helluva an angle going, don't know what the hell it is.

I LOVE the fact that Sam told Sookie that there's worse out there than Vamps or shifters. What can we look forward to, Werewolves certainly, but ghouls, zombies, gargoyles... the possibilities are endless.

This is the new "hit" HBO's been desperate for since "The Wire" and "The Soprano's". This show has one t hing going for it, it's NOT historical therefore it's cheap to produce...

I can't wait.

Da Worfster