Hahahaha. Florida loses to Ole Miss! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hahahaha. Florida loses to Ole Miss!

Swish
09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I can't tell you how many sportswriters were predicting Florida and USC would meet for the national championship, and both lose to unranked opponents. I love it more than words can describe.

Swish

3-LockBox
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm with you. Unfortunately for FU and USC, other teams read those articles too, and it fills them with an 'us against the world' resolve. A week of prep becomes an entire season for the likes of Oregon State or Ole Miss, while the USCs and FUs start making motel reservations for the championship game. Call it tortise and the hare syndrome.Its why I'm not too broke up about a playoff system.

02audionoob
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I laughed out loud when I saw the Gators referred to as FU. As for playoffs, it would reduce the best regular season sports to just the runup to a tournament...a tournament with most-likely the usual suspects every year.

Swish
09-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I laughed out loud when I saw the Gators referred to as FU. As for playoffs, it would reduce the best regular season sports to just the runup to a tournament...a tournament with most-likely the usual suspects every year.

A playoff system for Division I football would be fantastic, just like March Madness. I've heard so many excuses why there shouldn't be one, but none make sense (the 'students' would miss too many classes...the fans wouldn't come to more than one game because of the expense...the lower tier bowls would be hurt...yada, yada, yada). Having each conference champion compete for the title would be the way to go, and all the champions crowed to date are mythical at best. And the BCS? What a debacle.

As for the 'usual suspects' every year, isn't that the way it is right now? Isn't that the way it is in college basketball? You're always going to have your major powers who show up most years. Right now Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU and USC have been on a run, but three of them already missed a beat this year, so you never know.

Swish

Swish

02audionoob
09-27-2008, 02:26 PM
There are certainly technical excuses for either side of the argument, but the football regular season is fun because of the current system. The college basketball season goes by practically unnoticed.

Also...a tournament of conference champions doesn't sound fair. The runner-up of the SEC doesn't get in, but the champion of the Sun Belt does?

Swish
09-27-2008, 02:36 PM
There are certainly technical excuses for either side of the argument, but the football regular season is fun because of the current system. The college basketball season goes by practically unnoticed.

Also...a tournament of conference champions doesn't sound fair. The runner-up of the SEC doesn't get in, but the champion of the Sun Belt does?

...are even better. Think about it; every other sport in every division has playoffs EXCEPT DIVISION I FOOTBALL. Div. II has it and so does Div. III. Screw tradition. Time to make it a true national champion instead of b (c) s.

Swish

02audionoob
09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Truth be told, I agree it's time for a playoff system. I like the way the championship is a horse race that runs for 4 months, but it's not a real championship. Sports are decided on the field of play, not in polls.

3-LockBox
09-29-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm all for a championship. So, reduce the schedule to 9 games, and make it the same for everybody across the board. Some D-1 teams play 11 games, some 12, hell some even play 13 games a season, and they're seasons start and end on different Saturdays.

But it'll never happen under any senario. A playoff would kill the Bowl season, and that'll never happen.

Swish
09-29-2008, 05:39 AM
I'm all for a championship. So, reduce the schedule to 9 games, and make it the same for everybody across the board. Some D-1 teams play 11 games, some 12, hell some even play 13 games a season, and they're seasons start and end on different Saturdays.

But it'll never happen under any senario. A playoff would kill the Bowl season, and that'll never happen.

There are so many crappy bowl games that people still patronize even though their team has no chance of a national championship. If anything, I think it would make the major bowl games even more exciting. Think about it; Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta...they would all mean something because if your team wins, they go to the next level. I think it would be fantastic. Each year you rotate the major bowl that gets the championship game, and everybody wins. I agree that it probably will never happen, but one can dream.

Swish

bobsticks
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Whoa...I agree with Swishy...and y'all know how much I hate that.

But, the ol' codger is right. Currently the annual writer's declaration of "National Champion" begets no respect and shouldn't. They ain't won anything.

Good luck with the plan Swisheroo.

3-LockBox
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, the current bowl system is antiquated, but that's just how the good ole boys like it. When they die, we'll have a playoff.

Swish
09-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Yes, the current bowl system is antiquated, but that's just how the good ole boys like it. When they die, we'll have a playoff.

...hunt them down and kill them. Yeah, that's a great idea.

Swish - tongue firmly planted in cheek

kexodusc
09-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Well, I for one would like to thank the good boys of ol' for writing OU into the top of the mystical ranking scheme.

Boomer Sooner!

But yeah, some sort of playoff system is desperately needed.
I don't even know if conference champs should get in just by virtue of winning a weak conference? Let's go 16, 32 or even 64 teams, based on rankings - Worst vs First type of bracketing. That way the top 10 who get screwed by writers really aren't being that disadvanatage - I mean, would it really matter to OU, LSU and USC whether they played Bowling Green, Air Force, or Kansas State in round 1?

If you lose you're out and you deserve to be out.

Swish
09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, I for one would like to thank the good boys of ol' for writing OU into the top of the mystical ranking scheme.

Boomer Sooner!

But yeah, some sort of playoff system is desperately needed.
I don't even know if conference champs should get in just by virtue of winning a weak conference? Let's go 16, 32 or even 64 teams, based on rankings - Worst vs First type of bracketing. That way the top 10 who get screwed by writers really aren't being that disadvanatage - I mean, would it really matter to OU, LSU and USC whether they played Bowling Green, Air Force, or Kansas State in round 1?

If you lose you're out and you deserve to be out.

...like the NL West for instance in baseball. So what? If they're all Division 1 teams, then let the chips fall where they may. My point is, if they won a weak division, they will get their butts kicked in the playoffs. If you're in a strong division and finish second, too bad. That's what happens. Win your division and you're in.

Again, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all here, I just don't think a valid argument exists for not having a playoff. I think allowing 64 teams would be a total mess. There would just be too many games and scheduling issues, especially when you consider the weather problems at that time of the year.

Swish

kexodusc
09-30-2008, 08:24 AM
...like the NL West for instance in baseball. So what? If they're all Division 1 teams, then let the chips fall where they may. My point is, if they won a weak division, they will get their butts kicked in the playoffs. If you're in a strong division and finish second, too bad. That's what happens. Win your division and you're in.

Again, I'm not trying to be a know-it-all here, I just don't think a valid argument exists for not having a playoff. I think allowing 64 teams would be a total mess. There would just be too many games and scheduling issues, especially when you consider the weather problems at that time of the year.

Swish
Yeah, my preference would be 16, but I think that's too few games for the $ponsors and such....64 is kinda pointless for the extra week.

Side note - I know of very few people who are strongly opposed to playoffs in Div I football. I really wonder why it's taking this long - seems to me the revenue potential would be improved if done right.