RIP Paul Newman 1925-2008 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Paul Newman 1925-2008

Woochifer
09-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Really sad news. Paul Newman was not only one of the great actors of our time, but an exceptionally accomplished individual in many different endeavors. A true renaissance man in a town of one-trick typecasts, and a grounded and generous man among the self-absorbed phonies. He was unique and will be dearly missed.

I can't think of too many actors with Newman's longevity of just plain coolness. He was almost universally acclaimed as an actor, yet was a top box office draw for decades.

His "Newman's Own" food products lineup is not only a model for that industry (product quality, use of organic and fair trade ingredients, no trans fats), but the profits get donated to charity -- a reported $200 million since 1982.

He also turned his hobbyist interest in race cars into yet another successful business venture. Newman was himself a successful race car driver, even though he never raced full time. But, he did form the Newman-Haas racing team, which has won the CART/Champ series championship 8 times since 1983 (I believe that only Penske Racing has won more during this period).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newman/Haas_Racing

And all the while, Newman was married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years. RIP to one of the greats.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hEOiFzC0uwlunNsBMhhe8Lk2zoswD93F3T8G0

Worf101
09-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Great actor but an even greater man. Nothing more needs to be said really. He will be missed.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, that has put a damper on my day. Very sad news indeed.

There is a black light theatre group called The Famous People Players. The group is made up entirely of mentally challenged people. They used to rehearse in a old warehouse (my Mom used to work next door) and perform here in a tiny dumpy little theatre. Paul Newman, through the Newman's Own line of products, donated the money to build a beautiful dinner theatre for this group to perform in. He was a good soul who gave back to people in more ways that any of us probably know.

A great actor and a great human being. This is a very sad day.

audiobill
09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
May he rest in peace. One of my all-time favorites. Cool hand Luke and the Color of Money are memorials to his art.

Rainy news on a rainy day.

He'll be sorely missed. Rest in peace Paul.

RoadRunner6
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
A great actor and a great human being. This is a very sad day.

Amen

RR6 :cryin:

filecat13
09-27-2008, 07:08 PM
He was a man of character, compassion, conviction, and charisma. He lived well.

He was an example to us all.

02audionoob
09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Rather than being sad, I'm reminded on this day what a great life Paul Newman led.

Kam
09-27-2008, 10:47 PM
rip to another great.

emesbee
10-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Sad to see him go. I always liked him. Cool Hand Luke was an all time favourite, but I also thought he was terrific in Road To Perdition. One thing that was good about him was that he didn't adopt the big mega-star attitude. Apparently he would always drive himself to the set in his own car, and was totally professional in his work. Sounds like he was a genuinely decent person. RIP Paul Newman.

thekid
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
There are a lot of actors/actresses that could learn about acting and style from his films.
We all could learn how to be better people and spouses from the his life.
A great loss and one of the last Hollywood icons