An ear-opening experience... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An ear-opening experience...

RoyY51
09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
I recently completed a DIY component rack (pictures in the DIY photo gallery) and have been listening to the installed components for about a week and a half. I tried to make it as vibration-free as possible (2x4 frame, 1 1/2" thick MDF platforms on brass footers), and was prepared for a difference in sound quality over the same components sitting on a glass-shelved Wal-Mart special. What I was not prepared for was the extent of the difference.

Everything has tightened up. Treble, mid-range and bass have all become more of a unit, more life-like. I know that it's hackneyed to say, but I'm hearing things in old, familiar recordings that I've never heard before. It's like my CD's have all been remastered. I'm getting nothing done around the house, and my wife has taken to sticking her head in the door every hour or so, and asking "everything all right in here?".

The point of this post is to encourage everyone with less-than-ideal component platforms to consider upgrading. I had no idea how much life was being sucked out of the music by those brittle glass shelves. It was worth every bit of time and money that I put into making it.

Now, if I could just get this s**t-eating grin off my face...

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Go for it Roy! :thumbsup: It's what we're ALL looking for!

filecat13
09-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Congrats, Roy, glad it works for you. :22:

Now, your next step is to get all that gear out of the room...:yesnod:

RoyY51
09-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats, Roy, glad it works for you. :22:

Now, your next step is to get all that gear out of the room...:yesnod:
Sorry, Filecat...I didn't quite get that last statement. Remember, I'm old and often confused.

filecat13
09-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry, Filecat...I didn't quite get that last statement. Remember, I'm old and often confused.

Well, if you were born in 1951 like I was, I'm sure you'll see what I mean if I give a clearer indication of it. My post was pretty brief.

It looks like you're almost there, in that your rack is at least partially recessed into the wall, perhaps into an old closet. (?)

Plus, you've got drapes to pull over the rack which will help move it "out of the room" even more. I assume you use the drapes to conceal it. (?)

(I know, there's a lot of question marks.)

My main concern for the electronics in this situation is proper ventilation when the drapes are closed. Of course, I don't know what's on the other side of the wall or if you have any other options, but the first thing I thought of was since you're part way out, why not go all the way out?

There may be other family members who'd say "NO way, old man," and I understand that. Nonetheless, the next thing I'd be thinking about is taking out the back wall of that alcove and putting the equipment stand all the way inside it, allowing the drapes to be fully closed in the same manner as the ones across the way, giving your front left speaker an identical setting to the front right.

Notice I wrote "thinking about"; trust me I know how these things go. There's a new wall to build, fences to mend, ventilation to install... all for that little bit more.

Your rack looks super practical and effective. Your room looks like you've put some effort into it, too. I'll bet things look and sound great.

RoyY51
09-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I get it now! You're right. The "room" is actually a closet that's 3' deep. The reason I've got the rack jutting into the main room is twofold: first, it allows me room to get behind it and make whatever changes I need, and, secondly, it's the only way that my remote has enough line-of-sight to work properly. And, as much as I would like to have it in the main area facing towards me, their just isn't enough room to do it...not to mention that all my pre-wiring was done with the closet location in mind. So, the rack position was just one of a series of compromises that I had to make in order to make this small room workable. I can't even close the curtains (they're made of burlap for better sound absorption) because the remote won't penetrate through it. Maybe in my next life...

BTW, Filecat...did you notice the 51 in my handle? Looks like you and I went to different schools together!

filecat13
09-28-2008, 12:53 PM
BTW, Filecat...did you notice the 51 in my handle? Looks like you and I went to different schools together!

Yep. I thought we'd be the same age. :smilewinkgrin:

I spend one week each summer at Chapman U there in Orange teaching at the Ken Aston Soccer Referee Camp. It's a great town. Maybe next year I can see your room in person.

RoyY51
10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Next year, when you're in town, let me know. I would love talking audio with a fellow Baby Boomer. And who knows...with any luck, we might be able to find a local establishment that serves adult beverages. I've heard that there might be one or two nearby.

pixelthis
10-05-2008, 11:06 PM

You are doing better than some on this board.
I doubt if your stand gave you all of the benefits imagined(ever heard
of the placebo effect?)
Does look mavelous tho. exelent build quality.
Now all you need is to ditch THE dino TV.
Start talkin up the old lady about how nice these new flat screens look.:1:

filecat13
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Next year, when you're in town, let me know. I would love talking audio with a fellow Baby Boomer. And who knows...with any luck, we might be able to find a local establishment that serves adult beverages. I've heard that there might be one or two nearby.

Ha ha ha! There's one or two I shouldn't go back to, but there's plenty more to go.
:devil: