Well Balanced Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well Balanced Speakers

newbsterv2
03-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone. After being in this hobby for 3 years I've come to the conclusion the the most balanced sounding speaker will probably have the best chance of finding a permanent location in my home. I own ribbons, towers, and bookshelves. While I love the ribbons timbral beauty I think their dispersion can really cause them to sound rather closed in and narrow. They have the depth but no width. The nice thing about dome tweeters is that they make more of a 3D representation. The only problem is that I have yet to hear a dome tweeter that doesn't add a glassy glare or some type of ringing sound to the music. An annoyance that causes listening fatigue. My question is this. What speaker out there has the organic sound of the ribbons while dispersing the sound in a more three dimentional way. I've listened to the Thiels and they sounded very glassy to me. Believe it or not the speaker that is the most even sounding yet has a glare is the Axiom M3Ti. If I have to go bookshelf/sub I will I listen to a lot of classical music and am really looking for a more neutral speaker that will differentiate the acoustics of different halls. If a recording is close miked I'd like it to sound up close. If the mikes are far back that's the perspective I'd like to hear. I'm not a bass freak so a solid 40Hz will do. The speaker should also have a tight midbass as well. I've heard many speakers that go low enough in the bass but are kind of sloppy where the real "drive" of the music is. I assume that this is what happens when a speaker is ported. I'm probably being really picky but I know there's a speaker out there that is what I'm looking for. I just need some ideas for speakers to audition. Thanks for any advice.

DrBoom
03-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but many of the great classical recording studio's around the world use B&W Nautilus speakers.
So I'd look into those if you have the chance to audition them.
I think your best option in the line would be the 804, since you stated 40 Hz will do, and they go to 38 Hz -3dB.
Unless you want to go bookshelf - sub, then you could get the 805 which is very good too.
If you really have a lot to spend, try some 802's, these are just absolutely fenomenal.
But don't forget to save some money for appropriate amplification if you haven't got that yet, Nautilus speakers are only as good as the system driving them.

manek
03-15-2004, 05:00 AM
for bookshelves...Cadence arita.....they go down to 45hz. amazing little things.

floorstanders----cadence diva or cadence avita(electrostatic), absolutely stunning sound

Quad 21L and 22L are also good.

Jamo D870 is superb.

Debbi
03-15-2004, 02:51 PM
...agree with you and if someone played a violin or guitar in your livingroom and you recorded it and played it back a few minutes later it would be remarkably different....I have listened to strident live music like sax live and come home and frankly preferred the Klipsch sound which is more like what I just heard, but dont like the rest of the music with Klipsch...almost coming full circle to cheap accoustic suspension sound speakers from the 70s which sounded damn good if you didnt need the extreme loud factor.

joel2762
03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
listen to some Energy speakers. All of the one's I heard sound great. Check them out http://www.energy-speakers.com