Time to talk football, both pro and college. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time to talk football, both pro and college.

Swish
09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Are the Eagles going to finally win a Super Bowl? They had the Cowgirls right where they wanted them but choked a bit, but I think they''ll win the season finale in Philly. And how about the Pats getting clobbered by the stinky Dolphins? Holy crap! How the mighty have fallen. And the Colts? What's up with that? I do know this; the NFC East is probably going to be the toughest conference in the NFL this year.

Will the college coaches stop glorifying USC every year by ranking them at the top, only to see them sink against an opponent who was supposedly over-matched? Will they fall far in the rankings because of that loss to Oregon State, a team that Penn State obliterated a couple weeks ago? I doubt it, but if you lose to an unranked team, the price you pay should be heavy. Is Georgia really that good? Oklahoma? We shall see.

Swish

GMichael
09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Are the Eagles going to finally win a Super Bowl? They had the Cowgirls right where they wanted them but choked a bit, but I think they'll win the season finale in Philly. And how about the Pats getting clobbered by the stinky Dolphins? Holy crap! How the mighty have fallen. And the Colts? What's up with that? I do know this; the NFC East is probably going to be the toughest conference in the NFL this year.

So far, no team from the NFC east has lost to anyone outside of their conference. The 3-0 defending SB champs are estimated by most experts to be ranked 3rd out of the 4 teams there. How's that for tough? Anything can change, but my money is one of these teams to get the job done.
I hope it's not the Eagles though. They suck.

Go Fish. That was great!

Will the college coaches stop glorifying USC every year by ranking them at the top, only to see them sink against an opponent who was supposedly over-matched? Will they fall far in the rankings because of that loss to Oregon State, a team that Penn State obliterated a couple weeks ago? I doubt it, but if you lose to an unranked team, the price you pay should be heavy. Is Georgia really that good? Oklahoma? We shall see.

Swish

I don't see it changing anytime soon. But college is a strange kettle of fish to begin with. The whole system needs to be revamped.

Swish
09-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't see it changing anytime soon. But college is a strange kettle of fish to begin with. The whole system needs to be revamped.

...since teams are ranked on last year's performance and how many players are coming back to the team, but that's a bunch of malarkey. We also need a playoff system like every other college sport, but I just don't see it happening. What a mess. Any 'championship' that is rewarded is basically mythical. Yeah, an undefeated team that wins out probably deserves it, by why not force everyone to join a conference, then have the winners of each conference compete in a playoff system?

Swish

The EAGLES don't suck. You do! :ciappa:

GMichael
09-26-2008, 09:21 AM
...since teams are ranked on last year's performance and how many players are coming back to the team, but that's a bunch of malarkey. We also need a playoff system like every other college sport, but I just don't see it happening. What a mess. Any 'championship' that is rewarded is basically mythical. Yeah, an undefeated team that wins out probably deserves it, by why not force everyone to join a conference, then have the winners of each conference compete in a playoff system?

Swish

The EAGLES don't suck. You do! :ciappa:

Yes, a true playoff system would be a hge step in the right direction.

OK, so the Eagles don't suck. They blow.

kexodusc
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm a big Sooner fan, and I'm all for revamping NCAA football to some sort of playoff system. Some years your team really benefits from reputation, some years it gets screwed.
But what a nightmare to put together...

As for the NFL - I'm a Chargers fan...sucker for punishment. When we're not blowing games in the final minute, the NFL is screwing us with bad officiating. SD will do enough to make the playoffs and lose to whoever the sweetheart story is at the time.

True story, I'm pretty sure Ryan Leaf passed me yesterday driving an Slim Jim 18 wheeler...

Troy
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
The Eagles won't go anyplace without Westbrook. The NFL is all about injuries. Lose the QB, RB or WR's and you're probably hosed. Just ask NE. OL players get hurt even more frequently and are critical to the skill players performance. Just Ask JAX.

The season's only 3 games old. Making predictions about games 2 weeks away, let alone at the end of the season is a fools errand.

NFC east is the toughest division? Tired of hearing THAT hype. Yeah, the Cowgirls are the class of the league right now. But I just don't believe in the Gints. They almost gave the game to the Bengals last week. The Eagles are too fragile to perform at top levels through the whole season, and the Skins are a .500 club at best. I'm not sure there is a "toughest division" right now. Every div has some good and bad teams.

The Vikes coulda been contenders had they been able to pick up a QB. Martz vastly improved the 49ers offense and they will make a run for their division when (not if) Warner gets hurt in AZ. Atlanta's a huge surprise.

The balance of power shift in the AFC is fascinating to watch. Indy is the team with the best chances of coming back. I like Buffalo and Balmer in their divisions. I wish Denver and SD could play each other every week. Stay healthy and that division's gonna be a dogfight right down to the end of the season.

Swish
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
The Eagles won't go anyplace without Westbrook. The NFL is all about injuries. Lose the QB, RB or WR's and you're probably hosed. Just ask NE. OL players get hurt even more frequently and are critical to the skill players performance. Just Ask JAX.

The season's only 3 games old. Making predictions about games 2 weeks away, let alone at the end of the season is a fools errand.

NFC east is the toughest division? Tired of hearing THAT hype. Yeah, the Cowgirls are the class of the league right now. But I just don't believe in the Gints. They almost gave the game to the Bengals last week. The Eagles are too fragile to perform at top levels through the whole season, and the Skins are a .500 club at best. I'm not sure there is a "toughest division" right now. Every div has some good and bad teams.

The Vikes coulda been contenders had they been able to pick up a QB. Martz vastly improved the 49ers offense and they will make a run for their division when (not if) Warner gets hurt in AZ. Atlanta's a huge surprise.

The balance of power shift in the AFC is fascinating to watch. Indy is the team with the best chances of coming back. I like Buffalo and Balmer in their divisions. I wish Denver and SD could play each other every week. Stay healthy and that division's gonna be a dogfight right down to the end of the season.

First of all, the Eagles won essentially without Westbrook last week, along with their two best receivers, and Westbrook has a minor sprain and may play this week.

As for New England, Brady doesn't play defense and they gave up a ****load of points to lowly Miami, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove on that one. Sure, they may have put up more points with Brady at QB, but when you give up that many points, you deserve to lose.

I'm not sure why you say you're 'tired of hearing the NFC East is the best', because I haven't said that for years. I do believe that are this years, and the Eagles are likely better than the Cowgirls. Yes, they lost in Dallas, but not by much and could have/should have won. Home dirt still means a lot in football, and they come to Philly at the end of the season.

Later

Mr MidFi
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Is Georgia really that good? Oklahoma? We shall see.

Swish

Oklahoma is looking very, very good so far. As did USC, until last night.

As for my Georgia Bulldogs...tomorrow night's game should answer that question definitively. Alabama is a tough, talented and well-coached team.

That said, I suspect the dawgs' schedule is just too tough this year to have a real shot at a championship. Sad, but prolly true.

Troy
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
First of all, the Eagles won essentially without Westbrook last week, along with their two best receivers, and Westbrook has a minor sprain and may play this week.

They were very lucky to win that game. You normally have to score a lot more points than that to win most games in the NFL, especially this season. There's many teams putting up 30+ points every week this year . . . We'll have to wait and see how hurt Westbrook actually is, but it is very clear that they are not the same team without him.

As for New England, Brady doesn't play defense and they gave up a ****load of points to lowly Miami, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove on that one. Sure, they may have put up more points with Brady at QB, but when you give up that many points, you deserve to lose.

Yes, the NE D is showing its age, but again, you have to put up points in the NFL to win with any regularity. This Cassel-ized version of the vaunted NE offense can't do that. The deep game is gone, and if I know it, defenses do too. The NE D laid down in the second half when the game was out of reach because the O couldn't score. If it was close, the D would have played harder. It is going to be a long season for the Pats with little hope for even a wild card berth. And it's all hinged on the entire team letting down with the loss of Brady.

I'm not sure why you say you're 'tired of hearing the NFC East is the best', because I haven't said that for years. I do believe that are this years, and the Eagles are likely better than the Cowgirls. Yes, they lost in Dallas, but not by much and could have/should have won. Home dirt still means a lot in football, and they come to Philly at the end of the season.

Maybe you haven't been saying it, but the media sure has. Every talking head on TV has been saying how tough the east is, but I just don't buy it as outlined previously.

You are too much of a blind fanboy to see that Dallas is a better team than the Eagles. Not meant as an insult, I was that way about my home team, the 49ers, all through the 80s and early 90s when they were so damn good. I still think the '85 49ers were better than the '85 Bears, but again, that's my bias showing.

With the '08 Eagles and Cowgirls I'm just a dispassionate observer. I frankly dislike both teams. Dallas just has more depth at RB, much better rcvrs, much better coaching. I'd call it a wash at QB, but when was the last time McNabb lasted a whole season? Take off the green hat for a sec and look at the facts.

Swish
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
They were very lucky to win that game. You normally have to score a lot more points than that to win most games in the NFL, especially this season. There's many teams putting up 30+ points every week this year . . . We'll have to wait and see how hurt Westbrook actually is, but it is very clear that they are not the same team without him.

Yes, the NE D is showing its age, but again, you have to put up points in the NFL to win with any regularity. This Cassel-ized version of the vaunted NE offense can't do that. The deep game is gone, and if I know it, defenses do too. The NE D laid down in the second half when the game was out of reach because the O couldn't score. If it was close, the D would have played harder. It is going to be a long season for the Pats with little hope for even a wild card berth. And it's all hinged on the entire team letting down with the loss of Brady.

Maybe you haven't been saying it, but the media sure has. Every talking head on TV has been saying how tough the east is, but I just don't buy it as outlined previously.

You are too much of a blind fanboy to see that Dallas is a better team than the Eagles. Not meant as an insult, I was that way about my home team, the 49ers, all through the 80s and early 90s when they were so damn good. I still think the '85 49ers were better than the '85 Bears, but again, that's my bias showing.

With the '08 Eagles and Cowgirls I'm just a dispassionate observer. I frankly dislike both teams. Dallas just has more depth at RB, much better rcvrs, much better coaching. I'd call it a wash at QB, but when was the last time McNabb lasted a whole season? Take off the green hat for a sec and look at the facts.

The Steelers couldn't do squat on offense, so neither did Philly. Some games are a defensive struggle, and if not for a fumble at their 20 yard line (Hunter suffered a concussion on the play) they would easily have an opening FG or TD.

I will NOT admit Dallas is better. McNabb has nothing to prove, other than to avoid injuries, and Romo has proved nothing to date. Dallas has one outstanding receiver, and that's T.O., but the Eagles have many who are above-average. They were up 9 points in the 4th quarter, playing on the road mind you, so I don't see how you can make the claim that Dallas is better. Had we blitzed them like we did the Steelers, it may have been a much different game.

Much better coaching? Get you head out of the sand buddy! Andy Reid has accomplished much more than Wade Phillips, and Jim Johnson is considered a defensive wizard. Really, you gotta be kidding me!

Swish

Troy
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
All this proves is that you can't argue with a true fan. Have fun rooting for your team!

Swish
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
All this proves is that you can't argue with a true fan. Have fun rooting for your team!

:p Seriously, you can take a random poll outside of TX and PA and I can guarantee you that most football people would never say that Wade Phillips was in the league of Andy Reid. Wade has about the same career record of wins and losses, but has never made it past the first round of the playoffs. That's right, he's 0-4. Reid, on the other hand, has 5 NFC championships, reached the NFC Championship game 3 times, the Divisional Championship 2 times, and the Super Bowl one time. Take away one debacle season where they went 6-10 (thanks to T.O. and his antics before that season), and it's not even close.

And guess what? T.O. is already getting testy in Dallas. It's only a matter of time before he explodes and shows the world, once again, what a big a<a>ss he is. Sure Jerry, take T.O., PacMan Jones...all the jerks in the league and see what happens.

Swish

3-LockBox
09-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I can't believe Beavers devoured Trojans like they did.

(wink wink nudge nudge)

Swish
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I can't believe Beavers devoured Trojans like they did.

(wink wink nudge nudge)

I had no idea until I saw my newspaper this morning. What a shocker, but one that made me giddy with delight. Penn State hammered those Beavers (cough, cough) and it was lights out by half-time with a 35-7 lead. I mean, it was a laugher for them. When the dust settled, it was 45-14 and I figured it was another romp over a second tier team. Then they beat the vaunted USC Trojans? Tell me something; is Penn State that good or was USC just over-rated?

Swish

Troy
09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I don't know anything about football. Riiiight. Can you even talk with any authority about another team?

:p Seriously, you can take a random poll outside of TX and PA and I can guarantee you that most football people would never say that Wade Phillips was in the league of Andy Reid.

Maybe not, but that poll would also tell you that most people thing the Cowpies are better than the Eagles. You just hate them so much, they can't possibly be better than your team. I don't blame ya, I hate 'em too (T.O. especially), but I do know that you have to be dispassionate when it comes to predictions.

Wade has about the same career record of wins and losses, but has never made it past the first round of the playoffs. That's right, he's 0-4. Reid, on the other hand, has 5 NFC championships, reached the NFC Championship game 3 times, the Divisional Championship 2 times, and the Super Bowl one time. Take away one debacle season where they went 6-10 (thanks to T.O. and his antics before that season), and it's not even close.

I've never thought Wade was a good coach. If he was, why has he changed teams so many times?

BUT

He's ended up as a great fit in Dallas though because he's really just a subordinate to Jerry Jones. He's a good manager type of HC who relies on surrounding himself with other coaches that make him look good. Jason Garrett is generally considered the best OC in the game today.

Andy Reid lost my respect when his kids were found to be criminals and arrested. The guy can't even manage his family.

And guess what? T.O. is already getting testy in Dallas. It's only a matter of time before he explodes and shows the world, once again, what a big a<a>ss he is. Sure Jerry, take T.O., PacMan Jones...all the jerks in the league and see what happens.

My T.O. hate is legendary. I've hated him a lot longer than you have, believe me. I remember him from his home wrecking days on my beloved 49ers too, you know? He is insane and could melt down any second.

Yep, Pacman's a douche too. No argument from me. But the guy is a shut down corner and a real special teams threat.

That this team holds together and excels with these bums on the squad only affirms my feeling that the coaching is excellent.

The last couple of years have been a lead up to the SB for them. Yes, Wade's record in the playoffs is only slightly better than Marty Schottenheimer's, but if they can stay healthy, they may have turned the corner this year.

Swish
09-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I don't know anything about football. Riiiight. Can you even talk with any authority about another team?

However, Andy Reid's kids have nothing to do with his coaching skills. These guys have killer jobs, with long hours away from home, and those 'kids' were adults. You have to cut the friggin' cord at some point. It was sad, but Andy is a nice guy and I felt sorry for him. One of my good friends has 2 sons who are a mess. Both have been in rehab and it never seems to end for them. A total nightmare. He and his wife are good people with lots of friends, and I haven't lost any respect for them. I actually feel sorry for them and their sons' problems.

I stand by my comments and will take a wager on the outcome in Philly at the end of the season.

Swish

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
So these are all today's posts? Why wasn't this thread started about a month ago??? I had all sorts of sh!t to talk about.

02audionoob
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
The NFL, like all the leagues, is about league championships...not conference championships. It's all or nothing. Just ask the Dallas Mavericks.

Troy
09-26-2008, 09:25 PM
humor impaired today, sorry.

Swish
09-27-2008, 11:47 AM
humor impaired today, sorry.

...alcohol impaired today...but it is Saturday after all. Apology accepted. Now go to your room.

Swish

3-LockBox
09-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I think The 49ers could be one of those teams in this lava lamp league whose glob is ready to rise to the top. If Gore stays healthy, that is. Their division is full of teams who can't stop the run (St. Louis, Seattle, Arizona) and a decent passing attack to finally compliment a brutal running back like Gore is more than enough to compete in the NFC West. If Seattle could manage a running game, they'd be a power, but what they did against the Rams is indicative of the NFC West, not the Seahawks running-by-committee scheme.

I have a hard time believing Holmgren will really retire after this season - oh I think his time with the Seapigeons is done; I think he coaches somewhere else in the near future. A guy like him doesn't like to go out with a whimper, and that's what's happening to Seattle this year. They've won the NFC West by default two years in a row. A rotational running back system with a mash unit for a reciever corp = recipe for disastor. Of course, stranger things have happened - they went to the Superbowl with a mash unit for defensive backs...and that weakness showed itself in that game.

emesbee
10-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Americans don't play football. I mean, they don't even kick the ball!

Swish
10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Americans don't play football. I mean, they don't even kick the ball!

For extra points, field goals, punts and kickoffs. You must be thinking about jai alai or lacrosse. ;)

Swish

kexodusc
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
BOOMER SOONER! I don't know how, and don't care, but OU is going to play in the big game again.
Can they beat Florida? Well, my heart says yes but my brain says they'll lose a close one. Still, maybe ol' Stoops has a few tricks up his sleeve.
Any Gators fans out there I have to worry about?
Just 1 month away...nothing like building a little suspense!

emesbee
12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
When people start talking about football, to me that means Aussie Rules. Go The Crows!

thekid
12-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Nice thread revival...
Its fun to back and read some of those optimistic assessments back in September.

College wise my Wolverines laid down like dogs and so I have not paid attention to college football all year and now am nauseous from the annual BCS BS.......

NFL wise it has been a roller coaster year with my Colts getting off to a terrible start. They are a roll now but they still have not got in sync yet on offense and the defense is Jekyll and Hyde it seems depending on Bob Saunders' status. Holding out hope though since they have beaten all of the top contenders in the AFC except Tennesse but that was earlier in the year when they were very banged up.

Could it be an all Manning Super Bowl this year????????

02audionoob
12-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm looking forward to some good inter-conference battles in the BCS. Will the bowls prove what the media thinks about the SEC? or the Big 12?

Swish
12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice thread revival...
Its fun to back and read some of those optimistic assessments back in September.

College wise my Wolverines laid down like dogs and so I have not paid attention to college football all year and now am nauseous from the annual BCS BS.......

NFL wise it has been a roller coaster year with my Colts getting off to a terrible start. They are a roll now but they still have not got in sync yet on offense and the defense is Jekyll and Hyde it seems depending on Bob Saunders' status. Holding out hope though since they have beaten all of the top contenders in the AFC except Tennesse but that was earlier in the year when they were very banged up.

Could it be an all Manning Super Bowl this year????????

No way Jose. I don't think either team will be there, but we shall see.

kexodusc
12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
No way Jose. I don't think either team will be there, but we shall see.
My old man is convinced the NFL is rigged and that this is exactly what we'll see...the Manningbowl...:mad2:

bobsticks
12-11-2008, 10:17 AM
My old man is convinced the NFL is rigged and that this is exactly what we'll see...the Manningbowl...:mad2:

Won't happen. The Colts aren't nearly deep enough and the much-touted homefield advantage has been removed with the ostentatious new stadium. A lotta locals have dropped out of the scene, resentful of footing the bill while Irsay flies around in his helicopter popping pills.

On the other hand, they are at least better behaved than their NBA bretheren. I live a couple of miles away from the infamous club, the nexus around which swirls so much tall guy chaos. I've always contended that if I hear gunshots to the south it's the Sur13's, to the east it's the Dub Treys, and to the northwest it's the Pacers.

More bad behaviour: http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-australia-dalyoutburst&prov=ap&type=lgns